It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Adjusto Matic Bridge Models
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Does anyone know of strat or tele models, past or present, that have an adjusto matic bridge?

The only one I can find is the Jim Adkins Telecaster:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0262350538

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: Adjusto Matic Bridge Models
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:11 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

mountain2012 wrote:
Does anyone know of strat or tele models, past or present, that have an adjusto matic bridge?

Well the obvious answer is that there aren't a lot of Fender products with the Tune-o-matic bridges. TOM bridges are essentially a "Gibson thing"...you'll find them on Gibson's ranging from LP's and SG's to Es-335's, Explorer's, Flying V's, etc.. Fender on the other hand typically uses Fender designed bridges...Tele's usually have Tele bridges, Strats usually have the "synchronized tremolo" (or some variation of it) and even a great many other Fender models such as Mustangs and such have their own bridge design. So no...I really wouldn't expect to find many Tele's and even less Strats with TOM bridges.

At the risk of being blunt, my question is why would you want one? It seems to me that the average (modern) Strat or Tele bridge is actually -more- versatile than a TOM if for no other reason than you can adjust individual string heights...on a TOM you can only raise your bridge up and down and set the intonation and that's it.

Anyways, just my $.02 worth,
Jim

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

mountain2012 wrote:

Rick Derringer had one installed on one of his Pre-CBS Strats along with a Bigsby many years ago. I couldn't fathom the logic then, as now. To each, his (or her) own, I guess.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:17 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

lomitus wrote:
mountain2012 wrote:

At the risk of being blunt, my question is why would you want one? It seems to me that the average (modern) Strat or Tele bridge is actually -more- versatile than a TOM if for no other reason than you can adjust individual string heights...on a TOM you can only raise your bridge up and down and set the intonation and that's it.

Anyways, just my $.02 worth,
Jim

I like the TOM bridge because it raises the strings further from the body and makes it easier for me to pick and chord because I don't have to constantly adjust my pick to be perpendicular to the strings.

It's also nice for palm muting because where the stings rest it gives me a nice sharper edge to know my hand is in the right position compared to the strat bridge where the height adjustment screws are what let me know I'm in the right position.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:57 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

mountain2012 wrote:
I like the TOM bridge because it raises the strings further from the body and makes it easier for me to pick and chord because I don't have to constantly adjust my pick to be perpendicular to the strings.

Hi mountain2012, welcome to the Forum.

There is a fundamental reason why you can't usually put an Adjusto-Matic bridge on a Fender body. As you say, it raises the height of the strings a lot - and that makes the action over the fingerboard unplayably high.

Most guitars with Adjusto-Matic / Tune-o-matic bridges have set necks which tilt backwards a couple of degrees to match the angle of the strings, caused by the bridge. Les Pauls, for example. If you look at the specs of the Jim Adkins Tele you will see it does indeed have a set neck. That bridge wouldn't work on an ordinary Tele.

Some small makers use these bridges on guitars with bolt-on necks set flat to the body. In that case what they have to do is drill or route out the body at the bridge position so that it can sit lower in relation to the face of the guitar. That solves the issue of string height over the fingerboard - and of course brings the strings lower over the body too, negating one of the reasons you say you want the bridge.

In short: Adjusto-Matic and Tele type bridge are not a straight swap. If you want that type of bridge on a Tele you will have to buy the Jim Adkins model which is built specifically to take it.

Sorry...

Cheers - C

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:02 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I just had another weird thought here. I've never seen this on a Strat but I think I've seen a few Tele's over the years with Bigsby trems...that might be a little more towards what the OP was looking for without having to deal with the issues of the angled neck.

Personally I honestly can't imaging playing a Tele or Strat (or any guitar) with the strings up as high as they'd be with a TOM. I mean honestly...what else other than slide could you use the guitar for? Ya certainly couldn't play the sucker! LOL!!! Hmmm...violin bow maybe? As I recall, guitar strings tend to wreak havoc with horse hair! LOL!

For that matter as far as specifics go, if I'm not terribly mistaken you would also run in to other problems usings a TOM on those guitars...neck radius for one. Gibby's and other guitars that use a TOM type system typically seem to have much flatter radius fretboards than most Fenders and because you can't change the individual string heights with a TOM, you would likely run in to some serious issues with setup if you didn't have the correct radius fretboard (i.e. a Gibby or Epi neck on that Tele or Strat body...now there's an ugly can of worms). I could be wrong but I'd venture to guess that string spacing would be an issue too. I believe the Fender necks are a bit more narrow and you could potentially have a problem with the strings running right off the fretboard with a TOM bridge...unless of course you got one custom made that is.

Considering the OP's second post there and that he's looking for really high action, the only other suggestions I can think of is either shim the bridge on a Tele, get a hard tail Strat and shim the bridge...or just find a badly bowed neck somewhere for cheap (sorry...that last one there's probably bad advice, LOL!).

Just another $.02 worth,
Jim

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

They look and feel great. Here are some examples:

TC-90
JA-90
Toronado

A variety of Jaguars have them
Modern Player Jaguar
Jaguar HH

New for 2013, a Fender Select Carved Maple Top Jazzmaster® HH
http://www.fender.com/series/fender-sel ... master-hh/

Custom Strat
http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/electr ... topna5.jpg

Custom Tele
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/340 ... e292_o.jpg

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Sruasonid wrote:
They look and feel great. Here are some examples:

TC-90
JA-90
Toronado

A variety of Jaguars have them
Modern Player Jaguar
Jaguar HH

New for 2013, a Fender Select Carved Maple Top Jazzmaster® HH
http://www.fender.com/series/fender-sel ... master-hh/

Custom Strat
http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/electr ... topna5.jpg

Custom Tele
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3567/340 ... e292_o.jpg

Ummm...check the date on the thread...the last post there (mine) was almost 3 years ago :-)

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Some people just like to dig through the archives until they find something that interests them. That said, he's right as rain about the Toronado!

I think I have another Fender with a T-O-M, too, buried somewhere in the Music Room closet.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:05 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

For similar reasons as the original poster, might these work on a strat if you find a a non jazz/jag-trem (ie: gibson type) tailpiece?

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/brid ... es&start=1

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Here is one Jerry Garcia modified strat called Alligator
Original
https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/iconic-mods-how-jerry-garcias-alligator-strat-earned-its-claws

Remake Garcia Style Alligator Stratocaster Made by Rusch Guitars
mud

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

mud wrote:
Original

The reason I asked the question above is because I'm building my own replica. The original bridge was probably made by alembic. If I found one it would probably put the project out of my price range. A gold plated adjustomatic would approximate it.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Gr8ful_ken wrote:
mud wrote:
Original

The reason I asked the question above is because I'm building my own replica. The original bridge was probably made by alembic. If I found one it would probably put the project out of my price range. A gold plated adjustomatic would approximate it.

Yes I believe it was built by what later became Alembic
"Born in the back room of a Palo Alto music store in 1965, the Dead were gear obsessives from the start, and their innovations in live sound would come to transform the industry. By the time Nash gifted Garcia with the Strat, the band had spun off their own instrument and gear-building auxiliary company, the still-operational Alembic. With guidance by Dead sound guru and former LSD chemist Owsley Stanley, the technicians at Alembic experimented constantly, and Garcia's Strat found itself on the Alembic workbench numerous times."
mud

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:25 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I am of the opinion that those bridges are of an inferior design compared to typical Fender bridges.
For reasons already stated in this thread.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Gr8ful_ken wrote:
For similar reasons as the original poster, might these work on a strat if you find a a non jazz/jag-trem (ie: gibson type) tailpiece?

Anything is possible, although it may not be sensible...

One problem with Adjusto-Matic™ type bridge/DIY build/digital tuner combination is the intonation adjustment leeway; you have to be very accurate getting the bridge in the right place. Even in factory made guitars, one sometimes needs to flip the saddles...
A height adjustable stopbar might also be worth considering, if it fits the replica idea.

And since this subject resurrected:
Quote:
"There is a fundamental reason why you can't usually put an Adjusto-Matic bridge on a Fender body. As you say, it raises the height of the strings a lot - and that makes the action over the fingerboard unplayably high."
"Personally I honestly can't imaging playing a Tele or Strat (or any guitar) with the strings up as high as they'd be with a TOM. I mean honestly...what else other than slide could you use the guitar for? Ya certainly couldn't play the sucker! "

The string height over the guitar body and over the neck are two different things. High bridge is compensated by shimming the neck back, which results in proper action. I set up my Teles like that to get more 'downforce' over the saddles - my sort of 'semi-Buchanan' setup. :wink:

Go to page 1, 2  Next