It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Post subject: texas blues
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 pm
Amateur
Amateur

any fans or players?

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: texas blues
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Reventon11 wrote:
any fans or players?

I love Albert Collins, SRV, Jimmy Vaughan, ZZ Top, T-Bone Walker, Johnny Winter and a lot of others. So any favorites of yours? :)
Claude. 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Texas blues players are some of the best.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:06 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I love Texas blues--I was born & raised around Fort Worth, Texas, and we had the best of three worlds--Austin bluesmen/women, Fort Worth bluesmen/women and Dallas bluesmen/women. Each of them influenced and overlapped one another, but there were distinct qualities to each.

Austin--SRV, Jimmie Vaughn, Derek O'Brien, Denny Freeman, Doyle Bramhall...you know the style.

Fort Worth--there were touches of r&b and honky tonk influences as well as a smattering of jazz, while retaining the fiery qualities of the Austin sound. Sometimes referred to as Texas Roadhouse Music.

Dallas--a lot of rock influences (occasionally even some shredding/metal touches) as well as a contrasting "purist" movement...weird that there wasn't really an "in-between" to those two extremes.

My personal playing style could be described as a blend of Fort Worth/Texas Roadhouse, Austin and electric Chicago blues.

Check out Buddy Whittington, a Fort Worth native--he's a monster player & vocalist.

Screamin' Armadillos
Texas Roadhouse Music
Guitar/Slide Guitar/Harp/Vocals

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

texas blues to me is the rebels blues. i love the stuff. ive been listening to cajun blues as of late also. some cool stuff. a good example is tab benoit. give him a listen.
night train is his latest i believe. its good stuff. he does a lot of stuff with
jimmy thachery too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVRFii1j ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT28NpDlypE

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yes I'm a fan and the Fender Forum has an excellent Texas blues guitarist, texasguitarslinger.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:31 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Screamin' Armadillo wrote:
I love Texas blues--I was born & raised around Fort Worth, Texas, and we had the best of three worlds--Austin bluesmen/women, Fort Worth bluesmen/women and Dallas bluesmen/women. Each of them influenced and overlapped one another, but there were distinct qualities to each.

Austin--SRV, Jimmie Vaughn, Derek O'Brien, Denny Freeman, Doyle Bramhall...you know the style.

Fort Worth--there were touches of r&b and honky tonk influences as well as a smattering of jazz, while retaining the fiery qualities of the Austin sound. Sometimes referred to as Texas Roadhouse Music.

Dallas--a lot of rock influences (occasionally even some shredding/metal touches) as well as a contrasting "purist" movement...weird that there wasn't really an "in-between" to those two extremes.

My personal playing style could be described as a blend of Fort Worth/Texas Roadhouse, Austin and electric Chicago blues.

Check out Buddy Whittington, a Fort Worth native--he's a monster player & vocalist.

I really like everyone you've mentioned so far, but I think you're missing something... *cough*Houston*cough* :lol:

I was born and raised here (in Houston) and somehow I managed to spend most of my life completely oblivious to blues music, the really rich blues history and the whole blues scene here in Texas. Stevie Ray Vaughan opened my eyes to it a couple of years ago, since then I've been digging into it and playing it as much as I can.

I had no idea how much people from my home state and my home town had such in impact on blues, and therefore rock too since much of classic rock is based on blues. From Houston alone you've got Albert Collins, Lightnin' Hopkins, Johnny Guitar Watson, Billy Gibbons, and Johnny Copeland among many, many others. Houston was also where a lot of Texas Blues was recorded thanks to Peacock Records. People like Gatemouth Brown and Bobby Bland were recorded here. There were also several popular blues venues around town in the old days were people like T-Bone Walker or B.B. King would play. If I could be alive in the 50's here and Chicago would be two places I'd really like to see.

There's an extremely talented blues guitarist from Houston named Alan Haynes. He's not very well known and his CDs are hard to come by, but look him up on youtube. I promise you you'll be glad you did. In my opinion he's right on up there with the best of the best. :)

Other Texas Blues musicians who aren't from Houston who you ought to check out are Blind Willie Johnson, Mance Lipscomb, and Melvin "Lil' Son" Jackson if you're into acoustic blues. Of course, I know I'm forgetting a bunch of people but it's late and I'm having a mental block on remembering names right now.

Solid Body Love Songs wrote:
Yes I'm a fan and the Fender Forum has an excellent Texas blues guitarist, texasguitarslinger.

Thanks! :D For a second there it didn't register that that was me. lol

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beckslaird

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:59 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

He doesn't only play blues but he can pick a mess of blues and you should check him out: Redd Volkaert

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

TexasGuitarSlinger--the voice of hope and reason in a world filled with Biebers and "Friday" videos.

I didn't purposely ignore Houston, I just, ummm....er...

OK, I SCREWED UP! :oops:

ZZ Top is my favorite band of all times, Johnny Winter was the driving force behind my first blues album (Muddy Waters' Hard Again) and I had the privilege of drinking a cup of coffee with Gatemouth Brown at J&J's Blues Bar in Fort Worth many years ago.

Don Robey and his Peacock Records label are mainstays of my collection.

In my defense, regional Houston artists (outside of the guys who had gone nationwide) didn't make it up here to Fort Worth much during my formative years, so I just messed up and left them out...however, you now have to come to Fort Worth and play so I can add to the list of influential Houston artists I have seen in concert. 8)

Screamin' Armadillos
Texas Roadhouse Music
Guitar/Slide Guitar/Harp/Vocals

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:51 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Don't forget the Texas Cannonball! Too many of my favorite guitar players are from Texas, some serious Blues Power down there! 8)

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

your right cedar. seems hes always left out of lineups.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

We're here to remind 'em :wink:

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

amen to that. i just dont see how talent like his can be forgotten.
the guy has one of the best tones ever heard from 6 strings.
that fella could make that guitar talk. any blues fan worth his weight
likes him. i just dont think folks on here are ready for freddie.
cedar. are you ready for freedie? i dang sure know i am.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

cedarblues wrote:
Don't forget the Texas Cannonball! Too many of my favorite guitar players are from Texas, some serious Blues Power down there! 8)

cedar is talkin' about Freddie King, kids. Eric Clapton used to tour with him to play rythum. :shock:

Texas Cannonball and Woman Accross the River are his best two records in my oppinion. They were recorded at Shelter Records, which was Leon Russell's label. His main axe would probably be considered a red Gibson ES-355. He played a few different amps, but he is known for playing a Super Reverb. 4 10" speakers and metal finger picks...the guy got some serious bite.

Last edited by stratoBobster on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:37 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I gots lots of great FK CDs, been listening to him since I started playing, once I realized who Clapton was trying to copy...

The Master of the Telecaster happens to be my favorite Texan. Oh wait, it's SRV, no no it's gotta be Freddie! No it's Winter! Or is it Gatemouth? :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next