It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pickgaurd Discoloration - Blotchy
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Still looking for the next guitar and went to look at a local sale that is also on ebay.

60s NOS looked better in person except for the pickgaurd. It was discolored in an odd way. Looked white in some areas and yellow in others. If I had to guess, it looked like the plastic had maybe stayed on it in some areas and had come off in others allowing only some areas to age. Assume this would greatly devalue the guitar but interested in feedback from the knowledgeable people here. Ebay link is http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Fender-Custom- ... 2305b716e5

Hope I am not bugging you folks too much but I am trying to view this whole thing as a learning experience.

Thx,
Dave

Last edited by djphaneuf on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:20 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Man that's a ton of photos! Looks nice to me. I thought the neck plate is supposed to have the custom shop logo on it. Also, wonder why the b string isn't properly tucked under the string tree.

As far as the pickguard goes, changing that's no big deal. Fairly cheap too. 25 bucks maybe? Why is the owner selling?

GUITARS
'12 Sonoran Acoustic - black (dated 10/31/12)
'13 Standard Strat
AMP
Vox ac4c1-bl
PEDALS
Compressor
Big Muff
Vox Stomplab 1G
Carbon Copy Delay

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The seller is a nice guy, visited him to try it out. He seems like a dealer and more into Gibsons than Fenders. Compared to others that have sold and given the marks on it I thought it a bit pricey. Did you notice the pickguard?

Dave

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hello!

Dude! Lots of pics which is nice. It looks lovely. though, i agree the pickguard is proper wierd. Maybe someones tried to clean, what could be nicotine off....maybe? its hard to tell.

More importantly, can you confirm the "Awesome Tone" of this this guitar (I love it when they say stuff like that!)? :D

Good luck

Andy

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:20 am
Amateur
Amateur

I noticed that a few of the pickguard screws weren't screwed down all the way, so the pickguard has probably been removed at some point. It has some pretty good scratches too. I think for that price the guitar should be in better condition.

-Emily Dickinson

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am only a beginner but tried the guitar and it sounded nice. Most of the scratches, etc were not noticeable except for the one on the side which was one reason I went to see it (to judge how bad it was). For me, that was about a $500-1000 scratch because it would make it hard to sell if you ever needed to. The pickguard really surprised me because I did not see it at first in the pictures and it is very noticeable in person. The neck is really nice.

Not sure how the pickguard should devalue the price of this model. Overall, price is high compared to completed listings and the cosmetic issues only make it worse for me.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

The price for the guitar seems to be about in line with the going rate for that guitar. If you order one I think its about 2400 to 2600 dollars.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:01 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The value of a scratch is in the eye of the beholder and if it is a relic a well placed scratch might add value. :wink: For me it was a $500 scratch.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I purchased a MW Tele, where the pickguard was discolored much like you describe. I recently sold it, and prior to selling was thoroughly cleaning. Previously I tried a number of polishes, cleaners, etc. nothing seemed to remove the discoloration. I took off the pg and used a lysol or clorox wipe, whatever was handy, and it completely removed all the discoloration. All the yellow was completely removed, and the pg looked like new. I was amazed, after trying all the guitar polishes (Gibson, Fender kit, etc) nothing removed it like 30 secs with a disinfectant wipe. Give it a try.