It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: I have a weird Musicmaster
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:21 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I bought a music master around 25 years ago, it’s had a hard life and I’ve recently dug it out.

Upon investigating what I have, it does not seem to match up with what a music master should be. The serial number indicates that it was made in America in 77-78 but it has two standard pickups and no pickup selector.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Uytkhv ... d,_England

Any ideas?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: I have a weird Musicmaster
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Pull the pickguard off and see what the routing beneath looks like.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:09 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Stephents wrote:
Any ideas?

I'll throw a wild guess that a previous owner put in a new pickguard and rewired the guitar for a neck&bridge pickup combo. Guessing why he/she/it didn't wire a switch is beyond my capacities.

Follow Arjay's advice, it will be interesting to see what's inside.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

A lot of the later Musicmaster bodies were routed as a Duo-Sonic; thus it would be possible to add a second pickup with a minimum amount of fuss. But as opined above, I have no clue as to why a selector switch was not installed as well. However, if in fact it's a DS body that would be easy enough to accomplish.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks everyone.

I have been in two minds as to whether to take it back to original factory spec or do something funky with it, but I need to wait for my garage to be built before I start (later this year planning permission depending).

As it has already been buggered about with I am veering towards funky as the existing pickguard is broken.

I am tempted to stip it back to wood, stain/varnish/oil(TBD) it with a white pickguard something like this

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/images/wd-music-duosonic-replacement-pickguard-for-original-models-aged-pearl-p448-542_image.jpg

And install a duo sonic selector switch as I already have the pickups.

Does this make sense, or should I take it back to the factory original?

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:48 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Very, very much IMHO:

A return to factory stock would rip all the honourable history from the guitar; natural relic etc. Old is old, so why make it disguise as new?

Making it into your dream guitar is fine, if that's what you decide. And if you go that way, go as funkadelic as you want. It's old, it has history, but it's a tool. Personalizing would just add another chapter to the pedigree.

Myself, I'd do as little as possible to make the guitar playable (and with that, I mean playable at its best performance). Electronics might need some looking into. Cleaning, of course, but no refin & no dents/nicks fixing unless absolutely necessary. Frets, nut, saddles, neck shape (& possibly finish) etc. should all be checked & adjusted... Then throw in a new pickguard (pearl is a beauty with black...) and play on, play LOUD.

BTW, what happened to the inside pics..? 8)

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I've not taken the scratchplate off yet but have decided to remove the second pickup and return it to a music master. the volume dial is also bent so will replace that as it is really heavy to change.

As for the body, on closer inspection, it's in pretty good condition has some moderate dinks and wear from usage but the overall condition is good. For now, I will take your advice and just polish it.

I am ordering a new scratchplate

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-miscellaneous-c63/musicmaster-c300/wd-music-musicmaster-white-pearl-w-b-w-lamination-p9261

Next year I might do something like this to it

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-phjunl0/images/stencil/750x750/products/839/21764/DSC_0019__34377.1543427032.JPG?c=2

I did give it a good play last night and it is lovely especially in contrast to my electric guitar for the last 10 years which is a parker P40

Will update with pics in a month or so once it's done.

Thanks,

Steve