It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Encoder Pot for Super Champ
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
Please, give me an advice. I need an encoder pot for Super Champ XD, should be the same as for X2.
Encoder, which selects effects. Code is 0063204000, 16 Position Encoder Pot.

As far as I know, they don't produce it anymore. Do you know maybe a modern analog which could replace it?

Thank you in advance!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Encoder Pot for Super Champ
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:51 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Is there a manufacturer's name on it? Encoder switches like that are pretty common, off-the-shelf items. Put the number, and preferably the manufacturer's name, into Google. It should be available somewhere. What are the symptoms of failure? Those things don't typically go bad.

[Edit] I just put it into google. "0063204000, 16 Position Encoder" I found several sources. Adorama Camera store has it, priced around $4.00.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:36 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The manufacturer should be Fender, as far as I understand. No? I tried Google for hours... Under all possible combinations. Failure is simple - D-shaft is broken, so I need to replace a whole thing.

Thank you for Adorama Camera source. I have contacted them, they don't have it currently.

Fender Support told me to contact one specific dealer, I am waiting for the answer now.

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 am
Roadie
Roadie

I would expect Fender to buy this from another manufacturer, but maybe not. I checked google again, and found about 4 sources, but all are on backorder. No way to glue the D-shaft together? It would suck to lose the amp for such a simple thing.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Sad... Fender dealer has replied that they don't have it anymore.

Yes, you right. All sources are on backorder, but when I check them, they say that the item is not supplied anymore...

So I am back to my original question - if anyone knows what analog could replace it. I would appreciate any advice.

And no, it is not possible to glue it... It is half-broken, and it is not possible to change a D-shaft only. Whole encoder needs to be replaced.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 pm
Roadie
Roadie

It's not an analog pot, it's a switch. There are five pins. One pin, probably one end would be connected to one or more of the other pins as it cycles through the 16 positions. If you can work the mechanism at all, use an ohm meter to figure out the internal switch connections for the 16 shaft positions. You could make a small board with four toggle switches to mimic the Fender encoder. Not convenient or pretty, but it would work.

You might also post this in the modern amp section. There are a few repair guys that post there, and they might have some ideas.

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Sometimes we even scroll down to see what's happenin' in SuperChamp town.
Yes, its an encoder switch. Funny, I just bought what I think you need. It's not an exact fit, but at $7.50, it might be worth a try
The Mouser part number is 706-25LB22-H $7.36
The picture shown Is not the actual part.
I haven't received mine yet, but it should have 5 pins like yours. Its not a vertical mount, however. But you should be able to make it work in a pinch.
Encoders are fancy switches that switch digital information.
There are a few different types.
Incremental or quadrature have 3 pins plus 2 more if it has a push switch. They are used more for up/down counting and can tell the direction you are turning the control.
Binary, hex code and Gray's code encoders are less common. They are all more or less compatible. The presets might not be in the right order, but they will be there.
Binary code and Hex code are the same up to 16 positions, so there shouldn't be a problem there. The common of the switch is connected to ground and the four other pins ground out in binary sequence. At 0000, all switches are grounded. at 0001, pin 1 is grounded. At 1111, all pins are grounded.

The part number I gave you is for a Binary/Hex 16 position. Its n stock.

I was looking for a similarly unobtainable switch for a digital reverb module I'm installing. This is what I came up with. Wish us both luck.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:28 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you very much friends for your answers!

Finally, Fender support brought me into the dead end. They said that this part is available only if I will bring my amp to an official service, and they will send the detail there. Which is impossible - I do not live in the US, and there are no services in my country.

One repair guy googled a little bit for me and told me that this detail from Aliexpress should fit much better than Mouser part which TimsAudio mentioned. It literally looks the same as a Fender one. Maybe D-shaft is shorter, but I hope I will fix it somehow... So I have ordered it and cross my fingers :)

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/32845183 ... 33edW5ENaO

Thanks, guys!