It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: Cooking Thread.
Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:50 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thanks Sergio, I also didn't know what pichana was.

I'm lazy, so I might take something like Hormel Beef tips and gravy, add some garlic, mushrooms, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, cook some noodles and call it Beef Stroganoff.

Or some frozen chopped Spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain, artichoke hearts, sauté some onions, add some mushrooms, sour cream, parmesan cheese, put in a casserole dish and bake and serve hot as a casserole with a little extra parmesan cheese sprinkled on top., or cold as a dip. (Not for chips, but some kind of thinly sliced toasted bread.)

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

On the 4th I made Beer Brats with Onions Caramelized in an Ale Reduction:

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:26 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I tried smoking a pizza tonight but I got some bad advice from a YouTube video.
They said put it right on the rack and smoke it at low temp for 40 minutes and finish at high temp for 15 minutes.
I think they were right about the times but next time I'm going to use the pizza stone for the first 40 and then put the pie on the rack for the last 15.
The temperature of the pie was appropriate and the toppings were appropriately cooked but the crust was dry and hard.
It wasn't so bad that it was inedible but it was bad enough I'm not doing that ever again.

Better luck next time.

Flavour-wise it was an interesting change.
I liked it.

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm
Roadie
Roadie

I think picanha is what you’d call sirloin cap :)

But “delicious beef” also translates it well :D

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, for your take on smoking pizza, Matt. I have yet to do pizza on the grill or charcoal kettle. My gas grill has an infrared burner that may come in handy; but, for the rest, it will be interesting since my better half prefers crispy crust (but not scorched) :lol: I’ll be checking it out this summer. :D
Yesterday was an all day cooking marathon. I might use a recipe for reference, mostly for temperature and times. It doesn’t all have to be homemade if time is limited, ingredients are unknown or unavailable, or cost or taste warrant it; however, I like to wing the less preservatives dish with an original effort that won’t be seen again if it doesn’t get my thumbs up. If it is worth repeating or improving I’ll add it to my recipes if I can remember my spur of the moment creation.

Menu for yesterday's company: Blue crab fish cakes with home made dill sauce, scallop casserole in shells and clam casserole in shells, butter basted home made barbecue spice and floured brined for 15 minutes Argentinian jumbo shrimp with a side order of hot lemon garlic butter, basalmic sauced stir fry bell peppers with onion, add to that lime rice with cilantro, fresh ginger, diced mushrooms, fresh almonds, and crushed red peppers, a few mini loafs of jalepeno corn bread, followed up with dark chocolate layer cake and Mrs. FSB’s fancy coffee.

No biggie, but I find one of the biggest hurdles, less today than when I first took to cooking, is getting everything with different temperatures and times to work out while making, cooking, and serving it all hot but not over or under cooked.

Except for the rice, cornbread, and cake the process was an experiment on the BBQs. I first got the kettle coals to ash white, cooked up the stir fry veggies in a perforated wok, stored them in foil and a warming oven, and moved the hot coals to one side , adding fresh charcoal for shrimp; but, that comes later. Turned the gas grill on to indirect left and right burners, About a half hour was required for the shell casseroles which I added with a makeshift foil pan on the grill top shelf at 450°, I dropped the burners to low 10 minutes after starting the shells. I then added fish cakes to a non stick sheet topped with parchment paper, added hickory smoke chips and watched the temp drop to 400° for a cooking time of 20 minutes. The rice had been made earlier so that and the foil wrapped cornbread were heated up in the oven. Back to the grill and a halfway turnover of the fish cakes with 10 minutes left when the shrimp were introduced to the charcoal on a hot stainless half moon sheet rubbed with an onion to prevent sticking. It was opposite the coals in the kettle. About 4 minutes later, it was time to turn off the grill, and time to flip the shrimp for another 3 minutes. A little shrimp searing over the coals and Voila! It all worked out. Time to deliver the goods and grab a drink of wine.

Got it figured out. There’s no stopping me now, until the next burnt offering. :lol:
FSB

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

In 2000 I spent about 10 months in Miami. While I was there I found this great Hot Sauce called "Jamaica Hell Fire". I've been looking for it again for years. Finally I looked and found it on Amazon and bought a 3 pack for $27.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:56 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

These are six pizzas that I made in one day for a party of 15. The labels, not mine, in the photos needed auto correct. :lol:
I’ve been making pizza for over half a century and there’s always room for improvement and creativity. What a fun food. :D
They are as follows in order (how’s that for a pun?) :P

* Ham, mushroom, and onions
* BBQ chicken, mushroom and onions
* Greekish chicken
* Sausage (Italian) and ham
* Veggie
* Pepperoni

All with no less than 2 layers of cheese and some with layers of various cheese.

I hope to test similar on the charcoal (and maybe gas) grill sometime this summer.

https://www.irista.com/gallery/vjju2pffddny

Ciao!
FSB

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

^^Looks good man.

I'm thinking about trying to make Gumbo this week.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think I got a Mafia Warning.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, Rev’. My pizzas weren’t exotic as they can be because I had a group that had specific can’t or won’t eaters. :lol: I’m more adventurous with seafood, bison, and whatnot.

Those hot sauces. Whoa! Call the fire department. I’m betting that’s serious heat. :P
Bada Bing Bada Boom!

FSB

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:51 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The good news on the hot sauce is that I had ordered a 3 pack for $27.99 off Amazon. No returns. Usually they are $12 a bottle and I got a full refund. So essentially I got $24 worth of hot sauce for free.

Between Bloody Marys and the pot of Gumbo I cooked last night (pic coming) I've killed about a half a bottle of it. Since it's Caribbean hot sauce it has allspice in it that especially popped out in the Bloody Marys.

Since I haven't had it in 20 years I started back with the mildest one. Once I finish those 2 bottles I'll go up one strength. After I'm done with that I'll go up to the hottest.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:05 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Here's the Gumbo pic I promised

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That gumbo looks right some good there, Rev’. Dat’s for sure.

Made a quick salad tossed with mayo mixed with tangy red seafood sauce, boiled large shelled shrimp, stripped the shells, cooled the meat in the freezer, diced and tossed the Argentines just in the seafood sauce, threw it all together with salt and peppered lettuce, onion, diced tomato, sliced almonds, and cheddar cheese chunks. Served with pepper steak soup, small crackers, and Tall Ship east coast ice cold beer for the football game.

Soup wasn’t home made. The game’s on. :lol:
FSB

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:41 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I just made Tamale Pie the other night:

I think most of my Imgur page is pictures of my cooking.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:47 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

BBQing with the Germans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next