It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: SWAG
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Dear Fellow Forum Members,

I’ve recently purchased several Fender products and as I have always done preceding a purchase phoned the Fender Corporate Offices to see if they were willing to give me any thing in addition to the things that I had purchased. On this particular day I spoke with a Jason and when asked if I could get anything he informed that that was not a policy of Fender. I’m having a hard time believing this but maybe there is a change going on a Corporate levels. I spent over 2500.00 on a new Stratocaster and a 68 Vibrolux amp. So tell me is this an aberration from the norm or is it now the new policy. In the past I’ve received hats , T-shirts and even luggage tags when they were available. I’m just at a loss for words help me understand...

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: SWAG
Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:14 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Your post is vague on the sequence of events.
You say you a made purchase but as is your custom you phoned Fender before you purchased to see if they will give you something in addition to what you've already purchased.
So which is it?
Did you call them first?
Or did you buy and then call them?

BigV1957 wrote:
I’ve recently purchased several Fender products and as I have always done preceding a purchase phoned the Fender Corporate Offices to see if they were willing to give me any thing in addition to the things that I had purchased.

I shouldn't have to point this out but Fender was not involved in that negotiation.
They are the supplier not the reseller.
If they were the retailer you would not have had to call them as you would have been right there at Fender.

If you wanted a ball-cap from the reseller you should have negotiated it into the deal at the time of purchase.
Now that the deal is completed and the exchange of money and goods has taken place you want to renegotiate.
It's done.
You made a deal.
Honour it.

I'm sorry but I don't think you will get much sympathy.
You agreed to a price for a product.
Now you want something more.
Good luck with that.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:36 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Let me help you understand. 1) I contacted Fender Corporate after I purchased the merchandise. 2) In the past there seemingly was no problem in them asking if I’d like something as it was SWAG. 3) I believe at one time it may have been encouraged in these FORUMS. As far as negotiating a price for additional merchandise I’d merely ask the salesperson for whatever I wanted. In the past it was never a problem and in as much as I spent 2500.00 I’m not the type to beg and had it not happened in the past I’d never would have thought to do it. As a matter of fact I’m going to try to find the post but when I purchased a Les Paul and GIBSON was reluctant to offer anything I vowed to never spend another dime at Gibson so it’s not like I give but so much of a care it was a nice gesture in the past and obviously has been discontinued. That being said I think this is going to be my last major purchase so so sweat off of me...

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

A lot of people have made their last big gear purchase.
As someone who used to make major gear changes on average more than once a year, it's been over a year for me and I see no changes on the horizon.
Except maybe to sell some gear.
That's growing more difficult too.
The price of new gear keeps going up but people's expectations re: the cost of used continues to drop.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

No offence meant, but I find this a bit weird; paying 2500 for a guitar and amp, complaining about missing a 20 priced cap or T-shirt...

Getting free stuff is of course nice, but the whole 'pleasant surprise' point gets lost if one needs to beg for it.
Plus, I feel it's a thang which totally belongs to the shop as a way to distinguish from the competition, not the manufacturer. I mean, from FMIC's viewpoint you already bought the stuff so you're also already addicted... :wink:

On the other hand, the story goes that to get a "Bell 666" cap one had to buy the helicopter.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Wouldn't happen here in the UK. Here nothing is free, and I do mean nothing.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:43 am
Roadie
Roadie

TO ALL THOSE WHO DON’T UNDERSTAND:
Since in the past they did give me something I just thought they may be willing to do so. It may be because they’re no longer doing it , it may be as a result of giving away to much previously and it could be that the individual I spoke with was just not will . Needless to say I am totally in love with my new gear and I will not be purchasing anything more...

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:54 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jmattis wrote:
On the other hand, the story goes that to get a "Bell 666" cap one had to buy the helicopter.

I'd rather pay for the cap and get the aircraft for free.

:wink:
And BTW, that Bell is a fossil......I'd prefer Eurocopter's EC145.

:mrgreen:
Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:09 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Retroverbial wrote:
jmattis wrote:

I'd rather pay for the cap and get the aircraft for free.

:wink:
And BTW, that Bell is a fossil......I'd prefer Eurocopter's EC145.

Arjay
Why not buy an aircraft carrier? You’ll get all the choppers you could ever use, and they’ll throw in a captain’s hat plus a whole lot of other swag. You’ll even get a bunch of fenders tied to a rope. :P
FSB

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:29 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

BigV1957 wrote:
TO ALL THOSE WHO DON’T UNDERSTAND

No need to shout, and disagreeing with you on this freebies matter is not misunderstanding.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm
Roadie
Roadie

IN ENDING THIS LET ME SAY THAT EITHER I WAS MISUNDERSTOOD OR I’VE JUST BEEN QUITE FORTUNATE IN THE PAST. I HOWEVER VOW TO NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE EQUIPMENT...

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

One of the things you will learn about posting here is that starting a thread does not give you the right to decide when the thread ends.
As is evidenced by me making another post as a demonstration of such.

Also, using all caps is the same as shouting.
It has already been suggested to you that there is no need to shout.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

BMW-KTM wrote:
It has already been suggested to you that there is no need to shout.

Stop being so insensitive, Matt......find him a nice brie to go with his whine.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:26 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

BigV1957 wrote:
I HOWEVER VOW TO NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE EQUIPMENT...

Because of a $20 hat? :facepalm:
You spent $2500 on a guitar AND an amp (so, a nice tube amp and US-made axe).
I just spent $2500 on a guitar.
What should I ask Gibson for?

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:44 am
Amateur
Amateur

Silly me, when I wanted a t-shirt that said Gibson I just went and bought it. what was I thinking.

Go to page 1, 2  Next