It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post subject: Re: Apple dropping iTunes - iOS 13 coming
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:18 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Gotta love that, Mike. I can relate with a couple of 500 Gig hard drives. The best deal I ever made was a limited availability lifetime membership for Sirius/XM. Not that it didn’t cost me with Canadian prices before it was free every year. :lol:
FSB

I remember you saying that when we were discussing SiriusXM. (In another thread)

Don't leave home without it!

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Miami Mike wrote:
Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Gotta love that, Mike. I can relate with a couple of 500 Gig hard drives. The best deal I ever made was a limited availability lifetime membership for Sirius/XM. Not that it didn’t cost me with Canadian prices before it was free every year. :lol:
FSB

I remember you saying that when we were discussing SiriusXM. (In another thread)
I did and have recently found out that currently Sirius/XM, which in Canada has a partnership with the national broadcaster Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), that their lifetime offer began in 2006. I got it around 2013. My year subscription of over $200 was due, I had considered a cancellation only because of cost; but, before I could decide the offer of $549 seemed a no brainer. The price of my expected renewal plus a little more with the next year’s subscription and some consideration of rising fees attached to past, present, and future industry digital music compensation, etc. was figured in. Plus in my wife’s name it stays with her regardless of the car owned. Currently only 3 year subscriptions are reported to be available on this side of the border, but I believe lifetime options are available in the U.S.

Of course, we have options today such as internet radio and services like iTunes (for the time being)
amongst other choices. I am considering making some MP3 CDs (app. 100 -150 songs) because I have plenty of blank discs that will also be of use in house, and they are also a good backup option. That should give me more than I need should I use that media instead of USB which is more awkward to manage than the CD from song to song on my radio AFAIK. It may present the same result. Not that I need any of it, but the features are promoted so it will be one more thing to try out for fun. :P
While I enjoy satellite radio and streaming services, having my own music and control of it like a jukebox has it’s merits. I’m looking forward to see where Apple will go with this iTunes change.

FSB

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:19 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

So, are you ready for iOS 13 and iPasOS?

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/ios-1 ... tures-list

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I'm still running iOS 11.2.
My iPhone works.
It's fast.
It does everything I need or want it to.
I won't be updating.

My iPad runs 11.0
Same thing.
My iPad never sees the internet.
I use it for certain tasks and nothing more.
I intend to keep it exactly as it is forever.
I have no need for an update.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:14 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

My phone is old, iPad is newer. Been checkin' out Swappa for deals on refurbs...

https://swappa.com/mobile/unlocked/iphones

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

IOS 13 for my iPhone X? It hasn’t been the best or worst I’ve ever had, and for a variety of reasons I doubt iOS 13 is going to shake the leaves off my tree.

I have yet to look at the new lineup of iPhones; but, I’ll wait to see how those go in the field, Better than iPhone X I hope, They can’t be any worse.

Here’s what would tweak my interest:

1) The return of the headphone/pods jack to hook up speakers or use with preamps and such, etc. I hate adapters when there is a better way. Listening and charging at the same time is now a PITA without separate facilities.

2) Memory card slot(s).

3) Better camera in the dark at some distance.

4) Quality stereo mic

5) User replaceable battery. Apple’s excuse about fraudulent or unacceptable batteries doesn’t cut it. Since day 1 there have been replaceable batteries!

6) Less adapters overall and more compatible and accessible 3rd party (especially in remote areas) cords.

7) Better audible phone quality to match some of the ancient mobile phones of yesteryear.

8 ) Better display screen in the sun so I don’t have to run for cover.

9) Better sunlight heat resistance for when it’s sitting on the patio table and the phone doesn’t shut down to cool off.

10) Fixing the loss of Fender Forum posting text when the phone is intentionally or inadvertently moved from portrait to llandscape or vice versa (at least on the X as confirmed by Apple with other iPhones). Right now I figured a workaround by locking the screen in portrait.

11) Getting rid of the keyboard locking up when “Done” is pressed and a window change is desired. Presently one has to close the posting page (Forum) by a swipe up and call it back which sometimes normalizes it.

12) Forget the voice change. Change Siri’s intelligence.

13) A larger phone needs a pouch not a pocket. Make it a flip out version. We don’t all have Andre the Giant’s hands. It is a good way to sell a downsized iPad at a premium price though. Dah.

14) Add a camera lense capper and mic shut off (perhaps sliding cover).

Any of that would be a start in the right direction IMHO. What Apple does well is very good. What it doesn’t follow up with are the bugs that plague the products for years, some of which are inherent in iOS, maybe admitted and ignored by Apple while others end up in the nether world.

Promotion of new colours? Wow! Some if not most of us need or use protective cases that cover that. Only because iPhone’s build isn’t particularly strong or durable without it. A StarTAC could be thrown against a wall, pick it up and it would go on and on and on without a dent or possibly a scratch. Cases have now taken over. Why not build that prevention.in to each iPhone original design? Okay. Score one for choices. It does have downsides with cases though. Heat and cord accessibility are two for example.

I do like multiple windows open side by side though. Perhaps, one of the better new useful iOS 13 features.

Will iOS 13 be icing on the cake? For me you can scrape the icing off the cake until the crumby stuff gets fixed. Okay, a little icing is better than none.

For some it will be their piece of cake. For others it will not be to their taste. YMMV
:|
FSB

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

My son's company gives him one. It's due in about two weeks. I'll see what it
has and what I need.....sounds like a "nice to have" more than a "need to have" phone.

$1100 is insane for a phone.

Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Miami Mike wrote:
My son's company gives him one. It's due in about two weeks. I'll see what it
has and what I need.....sounds like a "nice to have" more than a "need to have" phone.

$1100 is insane for a phone.
Yup. Even worse in Canuck Loonies, Mike. A purchase of that sort is especially under the microscope if the phone under performs or is flawed and plagued with bugs, or how about the luck of bad timing like my short lived Windows phone? Nice to have a company phone if you can swing it. :D
FSB

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

BMW-KTM wrote:
My iPhone works.
It's fast.
I won't be updating.
Totally agree.

I don't use it for anything but phone calls and text messages. Do I use it to read messages here on the forum? No. Do I use it for Twitter? No, I don't have a twitter ID. Do I use it for Facebook? No, I don't have a Facebook ID.

BMW-KTM wrote:
My iPad runs 11.0
Same thing.
I use it for certain tasks and nothing more.
I intend to keep it exactly as it is forever.
I have no need for an update.
I don't own an iPad.
And why would I upgrade? Slo-mo selfies? Seriously? Where would I post them to?

Apple is great at convincing you that you need their latest and greatest upgrade, but I'm not convinced. Do I care that I can "pinch" or do some other tricky thing with my fingers on the screen of my phone? No.

Cheers,

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

vinyl wrote:
BMW-KTM wrote:
My iPhone works.
It's fast.
I won't be updating.
Totally agree.

I don't use it for anything but phone calls and text messages. Do I use it to read messages here on the forum? No. Do I use it for Twitter? No, I don't have a twitter ID. Do I use it for Facebook? No, I don't have a Facebook ID.

BMW-KTM wrote:
My iPad runs 11.0
Same thing.
I use it for certain tasks and nothing more. I intend to keep it exactly as it is forever. I have no need for an update.
I don't own an iPad.
And why would I upgrade? Slo-mo selfies? Seriously? Where would I post them to?

Apple is great at convincing you that you need their latest and greatest upgrade, but I'm not convinced. Do I care that I can "pinch" or do some other tricky thing with my fingers on the screen of my phone? No.

Cheers,
I can relate vinyl. Last year I purchased the iPhone X not because it was the latest greatest (supposedly); but, because it was a tool I thought I could build on with some assurance of obsolescence further down the road. Last year I was in need of a new phone to support my condition and our needs. My better half shared the one I had. She used it occasionally for phone use and camera only, and mostly still does.

The X was to be more of a teaching tool for my wife who was not part of the geek community. I affectionately call her a geek now. :lol:
The iPhone 5s which I still appreciate and prefer, although a smaller display for my aging eyes, became hers. I think she got the better deal. The X or a trade will likely become hers in the transition should the 5s be phased out now that the 5s final update has arrived. Facebook and Twitter are not used on either, but the Forum is on my phone as I write this. It, however, doesn’t work as it should with the X. Only in portrait mode.

I bought her an iPad to also help her learning curve and for her enjoyment. I have no tablet (the Android one became obsolete and again was just to taste the OS. Not to my taste.) She now takes great fun in teaching me any new discovery on the iPad. Now iOS 13 is about to be the new sheriff in town. That’s the gratitude I get. :lol:
My PC is a full blown media monster but OS deficient and not upgradeable with the motherboard unfortunately. It’s one of those, “They don’t make em like they used to” or “I wish they’d leave things alone”, and to build or buy the same from scratch is not cost efficient. So far it still has use for DAW. The lesser mobile market has seen to that downgrading and rising price of full blown PCs. :?
Computers and related are for the most part fickle IMHO. My desktop has Blue Ray/HD-TV with a TV tuner. Only the Blue Ray is available because the better IMHO HD-TV is history and cable scrambled the TV signal. This works that doesn’t. This is new that is old. The other day I saw gas stations shut down, but I also saw a hydrogen pump boarded up from lack of use (and questionable competition). I agree that home movies are great, but the limitations for formatting and distribution can be less rewarding than the hype. Still better than none.

I will say that with mobile phones any improvement to add better tools to resemble a desktop, such as filing or multitasking is welcomed. I had that with the Windows mobile phone short lived as it was. We don’t have to use those features, but nice to have when needed.

As far as having a messaging pig or chicken face I’ll leave it for the kids. Sour grapes might be cool, though. On the other hand, if you're like me, or the millions of photographers out there, most features will never be discovered or used. Only the good ones that relate.

Why golly gee. In this day of big screens and little time or place I still haven’t watched my free movies with three providers on the phone. Yawn! :P
I may use my phone less as I’ve mentioned elsewhere a new laptop will soon come my way. I’ll be checking recent leaps in that market. Mrs. FSB can get use her familiarity with an Apple; but, I also want her to get a brief Windows lesson which can be daunting for a newbie. I guess I’ll pick the laptop with the fanciest case and best cheap earpods if they have any. Whoo boy does that excite me. :roll:
It’ll be great for recording the Strat and Taylor though; but, that has less to do with the OS.

I did, however, return a $27 lightning cable (not IFS) yesterday to replace the one lost on the trip. It worked, but was slow to charge the phone which I happily use for my several choices of GPS in the car. Don’t get me started on those cable thingys. :lol:
Anybody know where I can get a DOS phone?

FSB

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ha! Just heard the news about a flaw in iOS 13 and it's not even being released until tomorrow!

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Miami Mike wrote:
Ha! Just heard the news about a flaw in iOS 13 and it's not even being released until tomorrow!
Thanks, for the heads up, Mike. Why am I not surprised?

I just bought a 3rd party $27 USB/Lightning cable from Indigo. That worked; but, it was a slug in the charging arena which for GPS use sucked. Returned it. Dropped into the Apple store to get Apple’s cord which should solve the problem.

Here’s typical Apple forward thinking as usual:

I’m tired of using pods or headphones only to find the iPhone is about to die unless charged up. This can’t be done simultaneously as in the past. No problem if you have both a phone jack and a lightning input.

Okay, so I don’t have that feature with a more expensive new phone. It is one or the other. A smart phone? Phtt! More like a dumb one. :lol: Off I go yesterday to buy two cables the second of which allows pods/phones and charging. Why? Isn’t a cable supplied for an existing feature that is pretty standard fare? Nope!

Here I find myself where the authentic stuff is sold and what? No Apple branded cord to charge and listen with simultaneously? 3rd party is the only one made? Hmmm? Did Apple overlook this need? Is the 3rd party version going to be reliable in the long run? Apple’s store sells this wire so it must work without the dreaded “incompatible” alert. But, wait! Not so quick! Doesn’t Apple wave hardware and now iOS 13 in front of our face only to be less than expected? :?
Aw fuggedabout it. Wouldn’t be Apple without bugs. Let’s hope the new bugs aren’t swept under the carpet like the old ones. It’s getting pretty rancid under there. IMHO.

Releasing software before it’s ready has a history that, for the most part, was played out by Apple and Microsoft. Unfortunately, the impatient public permitted it, and now we are suffering from having made it the norm allowing developers to do chicken and egg updates. Kind of like Boeing is accused of. Pretty soon there will be promoting of bugs instead of hardware. I’m old enough to remember my friends telling me that Apple OS /iOS was foolproof. Still ROTFL . I think they’ve changed their tune. :wink: YMMV.

FSB (Apple owner)
No headphone jack on the newly released iPhones either? Pass. Must be a lot of vaping going on in Cupertino.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
I’m old enough to remember my friends telling me that Apple OS /iOS was foolproof. Still ROTFL . I think they’ve changed their tune. :wink: YMMV.

FSB (Apple owner)
No headphone jack on the newly released iPhones either? Pass. Must be a lot of vaping going on in Cupertino.

I hear ya - - on all counts, FSB!

https://www.toptenreviews.com/iOS-13-re ... ty-warning

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:55 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, for the link, Mike.

Apple has given us risky lock bypasses over the years or initiating foreground operation with a locked screen in the background. Not necessarily the same; but, still unwelcome.

For example circa 2016:

YMMV

A better security is to throw the phone into an armoured car. However, no assurance there either. :P
FSB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7