It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Anyone play a Guild Starfire?
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:57 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I currently have a strat (SSS), Tele (SS), PRS SE Custom (HH), Gibson LP (HH) and a Fender acoustic. Im considering adding another guitar to my collection but I want it to be sonically different compared to what I own. As such I am leaning towards a 335 semi-hollow body style guitar. My budget is $1,000 and I have to purchase it through GC (I have a gift cards to burn). I could throw a little extra cash if deemed worthwhile but I think $1,300 would probably be my max.

I have tried the various Epiphone and Gretsch models but didn't like the necks. The necks felt chunky to me. I have also played a D'Angelico and Ibanez and liked those. The only other one that I can think of that I have not played is the Guild Starfire but I have not been able to find one in a local shop to play.

I'm curious if anyone has played one and what Fender neck shape you think it most closely relates to? I prefer a modern C, PRS and Gibson 60's slim taper neck profiles.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Anyone play a Guild Starfire?
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Cool looking guitars, good luck finding one.
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/Starfire.php

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I currently own two Guild guitars : a Jetsatar and a 12 string StarFire.A StarFire II ST is in the mail. They all use the LB-1 little buckers which sounds absolutely fantastic! Like a humbucjer but brighter and with a lot more clarity. The neck and overall feel it’s not that big a transition from Fender guitars as the next shapes are similar and quite importantly: the neck/body angle it’s nowhere near as big as on a Gibson. I would say that if you’re looking for a Gibson – style guitar and you are used to Fenders Guild guitars are the perfect choice. The transition won’t be that big. But of course: guitars are a subjective matter and if I were you I would make every possible effort to try one for yourself. Happy shopping!

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:54 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ejay thanks for the info. What is your or anyone's opinion with regards to Guild's quality versus a D'Angelico Premier? The D'Angelico is obviously less expensive but curious if the Guild's are worth the extra money?

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

djwhitjr wrote:
Ejay thanks for the info. What is your or anyone's opinion with regards to Guild's quality versus a D'Angelico Premier? The D'Angelico is obviously less expensive but curious if the Guild's are worth the extra money?

I can’t comment on the D’Angelico as I have no experience with this brand,but Guild is certainly turning out top quality guitars these days. I just bought a third one: StarFire II ST. Just lovely instruments!