It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Cooking Thread.
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:38 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Anybody else here love to cook? A few weeks ago I started doing what I call "Big Cooks" once a week Usually a pot of something and a big pan of something to go with it that will last a few days. Here is my latest all plated up:

I hope that works. It's Rum Soaked Bajan Chicken with Black Bean Soup.

C/S,
Rev J

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Cooking Thread.
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:36 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I used to cook a lot but for the last few years haven't been cooking. These days I tend to buy stuff that's already cooked or stuff I can just put in the microwave.

I'll be interested to see what other people post despite the fact that I don't cook I'm still interested in food a cooking, I'm a big fan of Masterchef when it's on.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

sjlen wrote:
These days I tend to buy stuff that's already cooked or stuff I can just put in the microwave.

Same here. Was told I have high blood pressure. Can't handle cooking low sodium. I miss living.

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I can make a sandwich. Cooking can be fun I just don't very much .

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:03 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I spent some time boating on craft from 30 feet to 300+ feet, and often we would do several things when it came to getting fed and feeding the others. Depending on the size of the boat (or ship) we might grab and go with whatever was around. Often it was fruit, peanut butter and jam, maybe cold cuts and cheese or snacks.
Fancy meals were a treat. Think camping.

Then we might take turns cooking, maybe trying to outdo the competition or goofin’ up so you weren’t encouraged to compete or maybe you were truly a terrible cook so you would be thrown overboard or released from the job, Maybe, you were a good cook or volunteer which might earn you special privileges and more R&R. Maybe, you were on board simply as the cook. Maybe, you got dish washer duty or took turns with a tea towel.

Cooks in the Navy got trained at Hilton Hotels amongst other places because there could be dignitaries or the public treated for goodwill functions. These bakers and cooks could make anything that was brought on board from countries’ traditional foods to exotic food to most any seafood to good old home cooking basics. They had quality government purchased food available, and plenty of it, and often the daily meals were decided by committee, surprised by the stock variety (sometimes weird) available, or the crew’s preference. It might be flying fish scooped from the deck. It might be 180 proof rum soaked. It might be cooked by gigantic weight.

On a trip across the Atlantic, at the age of 18, I had the opportunity to learn from these cooks on a short term basis for experience. I soon found out how to use commercial tools and a steam oven and grill. I was tipped off that when I got to England the cooks got more time off because most of the 225 crew members would be on shore leave so there was less need for cooks, unless you drew the short straw, plus it meant a quart of ice cream each week ha ha ha.

I didn’t cook much after the great experience until I got interested in my mid 20s with trending gourmet cooking, as i also worked on TV cooking shows,

But, my wife is a far better baker than me; although, I have made a mean Black Forest Cake that’ll make you stumble from the marinated Black Bing cherries beneath the whipped cream. She also makes better basted eggs. She grew up with a grandmother who farmed and cooked and her mother who carried the traditional kitchen skills all together. I hit the mother lode.

So in short, I make a variety of ethnic food, classic gourmet, coastal fishing recipes having lived on both coasts, and many originals as I do pretty well with sauces and can get by without recipes or I’ll adapt and make it my own. I might make something once for experience or bragging rights and then move on to a new challenge. Summer brings the BBQ both charcoal and gas. I’ve cooked with gas stoves and ovens and have induction at home,

I had to sadly give up the gourmet cooking for a lengthy time because of health; but, now that I’’m still losing weight, and my meds allow me to increase butter intake (recently gave up margarine) with the other cholesterol nasties under control, that cooking is now on my agenda. I usually participate only for company or the odd meal. I dislike franchise restaurants as a rule, and it’s the odd one whether high end or Mom and Pop or local gem that I’ll appreciate. After all, many consider that a fine home made soup in a restaurant or at home deserves more credit than a big dollar steak. I like both, but I spend more time in the soup line. I know how some of those delicious steaks get to melt in your mouth, but I’m sworn to secrecy. YMMV.

Pizza and burgers works for me too as do sandwiches. I guess you might say I love to eat, and people love to feed me for some reason. :D

That plate load looks and sounds delicious Rev’ J. ‘Big Cooks’ is a great idea. We grab several small steaks and/or chicken breasts, spice ‘em up with a variety in mind, baggie them for one meal for two per bag, and freeze them next to the baggies of stripped turkey from a 20 or 30 pounder which will last the better part of a month for whatever we do with it.

FSB

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Since I don't have a freezer I kinda have to eat it all once it's made (over the course of days not all at once).

Thursday and Friday are my weekends so usually Thursday night I'm making marinades, soaking beans etc.

Since I was seeing Stanley Clarke this week Thursday was out. Friday I just grabbed a couple of Brats and Steak Fries off the hot bar at Whole Foods.

Usually I'm finding something out of a Caribbean Cookbook or The Hippy Gourmet's Guide to Healthy Eating.

I think next week I'm going with Jamaican Jerk Chicken, with Chili Pepper Cornbread, Fried Plantains, Red Beans and Rice. I don't have a grill so I'm just going to have to oven cook it.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:18 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Like ghost, I have hypertension.
I got used to the low-salt taste though.
It took some time to adjust but now I am used to it and I actually prefer it.
In fact, now I have a hard time going out to eat because they (most restaurants) put so much salt on everything and I feel like I can't taste the food.

I cook fairly often.
I average almost once a day.
Probably something like 3 times in 4 days on average.
Some days I don't cook at all but other days I make a lunch as well as a supper.
I like to use fresh ingredients whenever possible.
I made a stir fry last night.
I pressed some garlic and chopped up some ginger.
Some pork loin sliced into thin strips, red, yellow and orange peppers diced up, snow peas.
Cooked it up in peanut oil.
Added some grated coconut, a few dashes of a bottled Saytay sauce, with some sesame seeds sprinkled on after dishing up.
Delish.
I had the leftovers for lunch today.
Haven't decided what I'm having tonight yet.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:34 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

That sounds so good. I'm of the opinion that the more colors there are in a meal the more healthy it is. The black bean soup had onions, garlic, carrots, jalapeño peppers, red and green bell peppers, beer, rum, vegetable stock, spices and a dollop of sour cream.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:35 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yep, sounds good, Matt. We live stir fry’s and especially Udon noodles. Beats the days of hanging pork strips from the oven rack over a pan of water to make BBQ poke. :lol: You’re right about colour too Rev’, I like to have texture as well. I’ll throw sliced almonds (always in the cupboard) into everything from chicken to rice to stir fry to fish to . . . well, you get the idea. As for nuts I’ll add a dollop of peanut butter to oil for stir fry to simulate peanut oil. I must be nuts. :lol:
FSB

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:42 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

There's a saying in my family, "If it doesn't have sugar in it it should have onions, garlic or both."

What I really miss is every year at Easter my dad get's like 20lbs of Keilbasa or even makes it using the old family recipe. I haven't had it in years.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I didn’t know what It was from where’s I grew up. It’s hard not to find keilbasa here with a predominant Ukrainian population and their kobasa. Add Polish and Germans to the mix along with others that have a similar tradition, and you won’t need to search far on the prairies for the supermarket variety or specialized butcher’s version, Everybody knows what it is, and it’s common for social events.I had some last week; but, nothing beats the family touch and tradition, Rev’, and I bet your dad’s kielbasa recipe is a good one, :wink:
FSB
Holubtsi or cabbage rolls as Mrs. FSB makes are 3 generations traditional in this house.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yeah the Easter tradition is to cook everything ahead of time and eat it cold on Easter. It's an old Slovak tradition. The family was kicked out of nearly every country in Europe.

C/S,
Rev J

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:47 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I have friends from many of those countries, and learned of how tough they had it, Some wonderful stories also came along with them though.

The Irish have their stories too, and I guess that’s why I eat my fair share of potatoes.:wink:
An interesting side note is that these hard times brewed a lot of creativity, out of necessity, in the kitchen or on the street, and today we can find imported examples of fine food fare world wide to be appreciated by all.

FSB

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

OMG.
You wanna talk kielbasa? (koóbasaw)
Try living near Edmonchuck.
It's like the national sausage or something.
You know how Steinbach Manitoba is like the Canadian capitol of Mennonites?
Well, Saint Paul Alberta is Yukon Alberta.
There's a Uke on every corner. (Yukon every corner)
Edmonchuck is a close second.

Hello everybody. I'm Yosh Schmenge and this is Stan Schmenge and we are the Happy Wanderers.
Kibbage rolls and coffee, mmm, mmm, good.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next