It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Post subject: Apple - iOS 13.2
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Several news stories out right now that Apple is going to (finally) kill iTunes. The replacement? Three separate apps - one for music, one for video, and one for podcasts.

I gradually became an "Apple only" guy... finally going full on Mac in 2012. And I welcome this move. If they can streamline the music app, and do away with a bunch of the clutter that has been added to it over the years... this will be a very good thing.

I hope they keep "internet radio" to stream as it's got some incredible world wide streams.

Apple will make an announcement tomorrow....maybe.

Don't leave home without it!

Last edited by Miami Mike on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Apple dropping iTunes
Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:03 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I got fed up with the complete utter nonsense in the a$$ho|e PC world and went Apple only in 2013.
At the time it was the smartest move I could possibly have made but recently I have come to believe Apple has gotten too big for their britches, forcing people to move with them whether they want to or not.
I have no issues with iTunes at all and I see no need to scrap it.
I hate being forced to learn a new interface on any app or OS.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Back in the 2000s, Apple iTunes sync'd to iTunes with an iPod was -- IMO -- the best way to (initially) convert an extensive CD library and listen to it wherever you go (especially the car). Over the years, iTunes has gone through massive upgrades which have wreaked havoc on unintended library manipulations, changes to selected "user preferences", and many new (and often not improved) GUIs. That being said, I always stayed with the iTunes/iPod, and probably still will. I have yet to buy anything from iTunes (the Russian sites are very dependable and SO MUCH cheaper). I don't stream music, and the only content I listen to is music (no movies, etc.). That being said, one of these new apps will likely change things for me, but I will likely persevere through it...

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Thanks, for the heads up. Mike. I agree with you Matt. Let’s hope this move will be a constructive one, and not fluff just because it can be done. Remember when computing was going to add more time to doing other things? Every change for change sake and with it, for me, the learning and management loses it’s excitement and charm after experience sets in. How many times can we say been there done that? I just want to use what I have or have a choice before I spend the time. All things new are not better, and you can be sure it will change again and again and again. YMMV.

I have both love and hate for MS and Apple. Personally, I have issues with both, but migrated to Apple to make things easier for my wife who doesn’t know Windows which, in some ways, would be more difficult to teach, learn. and manage for a newbie and even for some with experience as changes are never ending. Apple does give us a lot in this arena for sure, but at a cost both money wise and with it’s own frustrations.

I thought Apple would simplify things like with my wife’s iPad, for her yes, for me no. It’s changes like this prediction that have me thinking she needs alternatives should Apple say Sayonara in her lifetime, just like my old Windows phone. :lol: Knowing nothing is forever, I’ll give her the MS basics for experience without too much management subject to change, definitely not user friendly without help available. I think, fortunately and unfortunately, browsers will soon take over and present dedicated hardware with their OS as in the cellphone community.

Having to use iTunes to do some things between MS and Apple is a PITA. Then an update to the PC OS to comply with an update to iTunes was the icing on the cake to put a smirk on my face. It’s a game I’ve seen too often no matter the choice of OS or application. I only hope whatever Apple does allows me to complete the tasks with the PC without having to jump through hoops. I’m not betting on it; however, I would welcome that with open arms.

Oh, and don’t get me started on pricey iPhone X. I think Mrs. FSB won out getting my older 5s which does most everything with the same iOS, only better at times. Still can’t see either (LCD or OLED) in full sunlight. :roll: It does help to cuddle in the shade under the patio umbrella, though. 8)
I’ll be interested in how the existing backups will work, and I agree about the radio streaming. Now we’ll have a couple of EULAs instead of one to peruse and ignore, and for us, possibly several apps to download, manage, and deal with across several Apple tools. Phtt! My guess is no matter how you look at it, with simple things like missing phone jacks, Apple is taking a hit, and with their business plan your wallet may be also.

Incorporate the changeover automatically with the next iOS update and there ya go. Easy peasy. Or maybe not?

I’m guessing the purchased tunes will also migrate. They are sure to be available, for download, and likely fun reorganization. If not . . .

I sure hope invasive social media, browsers, or other audio/video snooping announced or unannounced will be left out of this app picture. Maybe digital rights protection is heavily involved as there is a larger push in that direction lately. These trends do or don’t look promising though as privacy is an issue ignored or oblivious.

This development should be interesting. :wink:
FSB

Note: Good and bad. The more that Apple adds for management, the more it gets the benefits and disadvantages of MS. If you like MS - bonus! If you don’t - How do you like the new boss? Same as the old boss? :P

Hmm? Where’s my latest released LP?
- Just kiddin’

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:10 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

You know Apple has had problems since the beginning...

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:22 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Beauty, Marky. Great timing and post.

FSB

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I had an iPhone I purchased in 2007, later the battery swelled,(swole?) so badly it was forcing the display out of the case. Not under warranty, I bought another, fully expecting I could transfer my music between phones. Guess what? I couldn't transfer any of my .mp3 files that didn't have any sort of copy protection scheme. I went to some considerable effort to record those files from vinyl.

Let us know how it works out, but at this point, my guess is Apple will leave you "twisting" in the wind. It is sincerely my hope that is not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised. If they don't now, they will in the future. Just like SPRINT did.

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:36 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

https://gizmodo.com/uh-those-death-of-i ... 1835177939

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:13 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

We'll find out today at 10:00am (PST) - 1:00pm (EST)

Apple Keynote 2019 Presentation.

The other rumor is that iOS13 won't be available for devices with A9 chip or later.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:38 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

vinyl wrote:
I couldn't transfer any of my .mp3 files that didn't have any sort of copy protection scheme. I went to some considerable effort to record those files from vinyl

Did you use the phone to make the recording?

If you have a Gmail account, you get 15GB of file storage. Just go to: drive.google.com and log in with your gmail account. Now copy all your important files to Google Drive. Next time your phone blows up, Google will have your back.

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

ghost_of_strings wrote:
vinyl wrote:
I couldn't transfer any of my .mp3 files that didn't have any sort of copy protection scheme. I went to some considerable effort to record those files from vinyl

Did you use the phone to make the recording?

If you have a Gmail account, you get 15GB of file storage. Just go to: drive.google.com and log in with your gmail account. Now copy all your important files to Google Drive. Next time your phone blows up, Google will have your back.
Or you can wait for awhile, and Google will have all your files, mine and the others, without having to give them to the Giant. :lol: Who knows, maybe they already have them :?: There’s always a chance they may not give them back. Just ask the past Photobucket fans here.:wink: Backup is always a good plan though. Ghost.

FSB
I’m a glutton for hard copy backups for my much needed media. Less convenient, but even the Library of Congress moved away from digital backup and moved to micro film. The hard copies can always be backed up for convenience. Digital is still immature in many cases, and subject to change, so it’s a roll of the dice, but some formats are pretty much retrievable based on history of longevity. Firms, however, are subject to ownership, regulations, policies, and security. USBs are okay for short term backup, but issues of long term longevity are out there. Digital discs are becoming fewer, but a lot is still available as will be players if not recorders. Even tape is used by industry. That said, any backup is better than none. :D

Post subject: Re: Apple dropping iTunes? Keynote today 10am (PST)
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

iPhone syncing comes to the Finder -- no longer in an app!
:D

Everything else they announced I have no interest in.

A thousand bucks for a monitor stand!?!?!

Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I agree that there is a lot of fluff and with it some useful stuff, depending on needs, like emojis.

Some crazy prices for a monitor and/or stand doesn’t impress me; although, it’s purty. Some don’t know the history of Apple monitors. Briefly, while they have had good monitors/screens, many simply make the picture look very good with a funky name tag, but not with accuracy when critical attention is given. Of course if it’s not critical for one’s usage, why care? It’s like audio. Perfect isn’t always a preferred musical solution according to taste. There are pro options available to handle those needs. I can’t say this relates to current models; but, with luck, let's hope Apple is on board for a monitor worth the price. That would be nice. 3 fans for their Mac Pro? Cool! 8) That oughta be nice and quiet and dependable. that’s not going to fit everyone’s budget or needs anyhow.

Hopefully, this transition as expressed to leave iTunes will be good. Promotion is a powerful motivation to accept just about anything that may be. May be good, may be a dud.

I’m elated about a new Siri. Maybe. I do like the thumb drive/SD card addition to iPad. Now let’s get the phone a storage card and return the phone jack. :P

The proof’s in the pudding, huh, Mike. :wink:

FSB

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:44 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yep FSB - this is a very powerful system but who can afford it:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18651 ... l-computer

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:01 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Fender Strat Brat wrote:
Or you can wait for awhile, and Google will have all your files, mine and the others, without having to give them to the Giant. :lol: Who knows, maybe they already have them :?: There’s always a chance they may not give them back. Just ask the past Photobucket fans here.:wink:

Google is an exception. Public school districts are using G Suite for Education. Photobucket is not in the same league. Your data is as safe with Google as any other tech company. Probably more so. Here is a list of data breaches. The only Google product listed is "Google Plus" which they have pulled the plug on. Microsoft isn't listed. Apple on the other hand hasn't done so well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next