It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender 150XL Discontinued !!??!!
Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

For the past 40 ( FORTY ) YEARS, I have used Fender 150XL strings on ALL of my guitars... ever since Eddie Van Halen did on the first Van Halen records... always buying by the case of 12 sets or multiple cases for road trips...

WHY IN THE WORLD would Fender discontinue this model, especially with the legacy of being Eddie Van Halen's string of choice on the first few albums... part of the "Signature" Holy Grail tone...

I've bought every set of 150XL's I could find online, and the supply has dried up.... now I've been on the quest to find SOMEthing that is similar gauge and tension, but no luck... no-one makes 9, 11, 15, 24, 32, 40 sets... and especially not in Pure Nickel ! ALL of my guitars have Floyds on them, so not is tone change and tension a PITA, but also setting up all the Floyds and intonation ...

I'm not a guy who gets irritated or angry easily, but I'm pissed beyond belief that they just blew off so many customers with DECADES of Brand loyalty !... and it seems that I will now, after FORTY YEARS , I'll have to switch brands to D'Addario EXL 130+ sets... closest thing in tension, but still not quite right...

Fender, you've lost another very loyal customer... thanks for not caring. :x

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender 150XL Discontinued !!??!!
Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Seriously?
9-11-16-24-32-42
Standard Ernie Ball Super Slinkies that have been used since before anyone had heard of Eddie.
The difference in that G and E string were absolutely not responsible for Eddie's tone.
The Ernie Balls are closer than the EXL130+, which is
8.5-10.5-15-22-32-39

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Pa ... c81368c778

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You have to just keep changing with the times. You can still buy
a few sets on eBay but there are other choices with same gauges.

https://stringsandthingsmusic.com/colle ... 2juqxgujlz

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, Rich, Seriously .

I've tried them all trying to find something close... nickel plated are quite a bit brighter than the pure nickel, and believe it or not, the .015 and the .040 make a big difference in the overall tension of the guitar...

Thank you Chris and Mike for trying to point out alternatives...

Tried the D'Addario balanced set as well.. the 12 has too much tension, the 30 loses the low end and too little tension.

I've bought the Fender 150L's which have closer to the same tone, being, pure nickel wound, but the tension and sound of the .016 no likey... bought the Fender 250L's which have less tension, but the nickel plated windings are much brighter...

Yes, I can hear it... it does make a difference to me... I've been a recording engineer for over 30 years, name artists, blah blah... So my ears are trained enough to hear the difference. Others might not have tried the 9-40 sets to tell the difference... there is ...

My post was not at all aimed to start a flame war with some who may or may not be able to hear or feel a difference, but to vent frustration with Fender for dropping strings that have been used by many for so many DECADES ! No-one else has sells the same gauge as a set, especially being pure nickel wound... sucks that so many customers with brand loyalty had to move to other brands.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:33 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

flyingfadr wrote:
...sucks that so many customers with brand loyalty had to move to other brands.

It's no different for guitarists who trusted Fender amps implicitly for decades now abandoning the company because the contemporary junk that FMIC currently builds is all but guaranteed to fail, sometimes withing five minutes of arriving home from the store. For them the only solution is often to seek out a vintage amp and have it expertly reconditioned or buy a hand-built boutiqué clone. Welcome to corporatocracy and the new world order.

:x
Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:19 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That sucks. They probably weren't selling well and FMIC is about profits first, musicianship/art second.

Check out this very suspicious listing on Amazon: LINK

EDIT: What about this: https://sfarzo.us/private-label-guitar-strings/

"I wanted to run some with the old Eddie Van Halen gauge of 9-11-15-24-32-40 and they had no problem in doing that."