It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
Post subject: How hot is it?
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

100 today in the Chicagoland area. :shock:

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: How hot is it?
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:52 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yo, Rollie! Sorry to hear that, 100 sounds exceptionally hot for Illinois.

It's 90 where I live. Some years we bounce around the 90 mark at the height of summer. This is the first real heat wave we've had so far this year.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:29 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Didn't get above 90 today. It was around 95 earlier in the week, and it's forecasted to get to 115 next week.
But it's a dry heat :D

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

CB91710 wrote:
Didn't get above 90 today. It was around 95 earlier in the week, and it's forecasted to get to 115 next week.

:lol:

Ralph, the temp's been flirtin' with the 90's for the past few days and finally popped this morning then went to 100.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

We are having unusually hot weather here in the UK, it's been in the high twenties C for a week now in American that would be the low to mid 80s. And the forecast if for more of the same for the week to come. I like the hot weather but the temperatures you're having in Illinois are just too hot. It's rare to have it so hot here but thankfully it doesn't go into the 30s the way it does over there.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:13 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I'm in R.I. and the heat here is in the high 90's right now. Last night I had a gig at a local restaurant last night where right before I had gotten there, they had lost power for a bit, so it took quite a while for their AC to kick back in and needless to say , I was sweating my cajones off while earning my keep . Thankfully the owner paid me extra for the discomfort I had to go through.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:44 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Gotta love those folks that make the air conditioners. Sorry to hear that you had to sweat it out at your gig, Jeff. Now’s the time to expand your fan club. :lol:
Here it’s hovering in the 80s/30°C all week. A little rain helped out, and I don’t recall the last time we hit high 90s or 100 for that matter. Winnipeg is often called the Chicago of the North both claiming the title of Windy City. Good thing because heat in a concrete jungle can drive you indoors, and along with the odd summer prairie storm weather, we enjoy the outdoors before and after months of below zero weather. It’s lake country with 100,000 to choose from, and we’re just a few hours from Ontario and Minnesota for more. Diehards pretty much live at the cottage or RV from Spring to Fall.

Me? I prefer early Fall most of all. That’s when the dive bombing yellow jackets keep you busy on the patio unless you hunker down in a shady screened in gazebo which many do. Of course, they have disadvantages too as I learned during a heavy storm. Regardless, Summer is time for fun and frolic.

Have a good one!

Bottoms up!
FSB

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

CB91710 wrote:

115°?! Now that’s hot!!! I can relate Rich, because 112° was the temperature when I was in the canal zone in Panama, add to that on a ship’s metal deck.

The difference with your 115° is that Panama’s 112° was “in the shade” measurement.

I found it strange that one could actually become somewhat climatized to the extreme heat after basking in it for hours on end. Forget the sweat factor. It evaporates. :lol:
FSB

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Temps are always taken "in the shade"... that is the only way to get an accurate reading of the air temperature without solar radiation directly heating the sensor.

The difference between my 115 and Panama's 112 is indeed "it's a dry heat".
Right now, it's about 86 outside at 48% humidity. I maintain about 73 @ 46% inside (my humidification systems in my cases last forever). While it rarely drops below 40% inside, when we have a west wind blowing in off of the desert, we can see humidity down in the 10-15% range. Sweat dries so quickly that you don't realize how much water you are losing, and it really can be quite bearable until it gets above 110.
OTOH, east of the Rockies, humidity becomes a HUGE factor... right now it is 86 @ 67% in Miami... "feels like" 95. Houston is 94 with a "feels like" 103. Furnace Creek (Death Valley) is 106 @ 10%... feels like 106.

I was working on some traffic signals in Cathedral City... just east of Palm Springs... about the time of the opening of the Fontana NASCAR track in the summer of '97. It was so hot that I could not handle my tools without gloves even in the shade... it was pushing over 120 I was drinking 5 gallons of ice-water and a gallon of Gatorade every day and only using the restroom once. Two of the guys I worked with ended up in the hospital and one was permanently messed up and unable to tolerate working in the heat after that.
When I got home that weekend and turned on the race, they said that the temperature was 110, track temperature was 140!

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

CB91710 wrote:
It was so hot that I could not handle my tools without gloves even in the shade...

+1!

Be thankful you don't live somewhere like Bishop, or Boron, or Barstow. It's just about as hot in Kern County as it is in San Bernardino. I remember overhauling an Army satellite terminal at Camp Roberts (Central Coast, near Paso Robles) back in May of '95. It was so damn hot that fully-charged batteries for Makita hand tools would lose their charge in about forty minutes just laying unused on the antenna deck.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

That “feels like” feeling reminds me of 40 below, but with the wind chill it feels like 50 below more or less.

We all know how sunburn (and often dehydration) creeps up on you before you feel it happening. The same thing with frost bite. Ouch!
:P
FSB

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Currently in southern coastal Maine it's 97* F and dew point is 74* - brutal if you have
an outdoor gig today (I don't, and glad of it).

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:45 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

sjlen wrote:
We are having unusually hot weather here in the UK, it's been in the high twenties C for a week now in American that would be the low to mid 80s. And the forecast if for more of the same for the week to come. I like the hot weather but the temperatures you're having in Illinois are just too hot. It's rare to have it so hot here but thankfully it doesn't go into the 30s the way it does over there.

8) yes Bro it was 112 today. The kids and youngsters were funnin' in the sun, beaches packed, pools full, hydrants opened on the corners. good vibe today, lucky day. Hot City Symphony.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:57 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Solid Body Love Songs wrote:
sjlen wrote:

8) yes Bro it was 112 today. The kids and youngsters were funnin' in the sun, beaches packed, pools full, hydrants opened on the corners. good vibe today, lucky day. Hot City Symphony.

Man Rollie, that's hotter than here in the desert. At 3pm, it's sunny and 102°/39° with 6% humidity.

Remember the music is not in the guitar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next