It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Fender Mustang for live use
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey everyone

Is it my impression or the Mustang GT is not very optimized for live usage?

As a guitar player in a cover band (covering a lot of genres from different eras) I’m struggling to make the Mustang GT my all in one solution for a live rig.

I have it currently set up as a 3-channel amp, with a clean, crunch and drive “channels” (actually 3 different amp models) switchable on the footswitch via the Quick Access setting.

That means I still have to rely on an external pedalboard to turn effects on or off, depending on the tune I’m playing.

Pretty much all the other footswitch modes are not practical. The “presets” mode is a pain to navigate. When I step bank up or down the presets start cycling into banks of 3 instead of jumping for the next bank.

I also fail to understand why the footswitch is not better integrated with the setlist feature. If there was a way to cycle in between presets in a setlist using footswitch, that would be a great feature.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for listening

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Mustang for live use
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Mariocardoso,
I don't have the foot switch yet so I'm not able to check myself, but I thought that the setlist issue was sorted as part of firmware update v1.2.25 on 27th June?
PB

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Which setlist issue? I'm running the latest firmware, just updated it last week.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:38 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

In your post above you had said that it would be great to be able to cycle through the presets in a setlist with the footswitch. The notes accompanying firmware v1.2.25 say 'added footswitch support for setlists. After selecting a setlist in the menu, the user can now change presets in the list from the footswitch'
So I guess there's some way to do it, but I'm not,sure how!

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'll check that, but probably you can only pick between 3 sequentials presets and not cycle in between. I'll report back tonight. Anyone from Fender would like to weight in here?

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Maybe the up/down bank buttons move you up and down through banks of three within the setlist? I'll be interested to see what you find anyway, I will be getting the footswitch soon!
PB

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I play live often and use a good dozen plus presets. My first Bank gets the most use with 1Clean, 2Crunch, 3Solo and those three handle lots of tunes but I still need several more covering Wah presets, Acoustic guitar, chorus/phaser, different Echos and a bunch presets that enhance the fun of getting a guitar sound that dials in the sound of the original recordings. Things worked pretty well with the MIII using the two MS pedals with the EXP. You could tap up/down within a bank of ten or do Bank/Up/Down to move around. Didn't love it compared to MIDI switchers I've used but it worked well enough for live gigs where things are a bit hectic on stage. The GT100 has been a challenge but after some cable changes and one very advanced technical mod it's now working better for me than the MIII system. Solved the problem #1 where the MS-4 Footswitch occasionally got lost and scrambled when plugged into the EXP-1 pedal. All it took was instead of plugging the MS4 cable into the EXP which then goes to the GT100, I use a mono Y phone plug adapter that connects both the EXP and the MS4 . I don't use the EXP through jack (to MS4) were you would plug in the MS4 cable. It's worked since then. Problem two was GT100 Bank switching. I couldn't reliably depress both footswitches that you have to press simultaneously to get the Bankup and Bankdown functions. When live, the band would be ready and I'm there wasting time trying to get the bank to move. Had to do something else that just used one switch. I realize this fix is too much tech for most but here it is. I took the MS2 pedal and the Fender schematic of it, cut some MS2 PC board traces, and wired the MS2 (momentary DPDT) footswitches to each of the four MS4 switches so that when I depress MS2 Bank up or Bank down , it does the double press on the MS4 switches. Since it's hard wired, it always works. I can get to any bank of 3 presets quickly and reliably during a gig. I was able to reassemble the MS2 and MS4 together into one 6 footswitch long case by joining the two enclosures together as one long footswitch assembly. It looks like it came as a 6 switch unit from the factory. Now all is good, the GT100 sounds great and the switching and EXP is working as needed. (Not sure if I have access to a picture hosting site like the instructions here say you need to use, so if somebody can find an easy way to get the pictures posted, I'll see what I can do if there's any interest. )

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm
Roadie
Roadie

[]https://www.dropbox.com/FolderInMyDropboxArea/xyz.jpg?raw=1[/]

Make a data hosting account somewhere, and insert the path
to the photo you wish to share, placing the letters

img

within the leading set of brackets, and again, after the backslash in the
closing set of brackets as in the dropbox example above.

Quoting a post that links to external content will let you see the html tags used
and you can copy them for easy pasting later

Have you consider buying up used footswitches, and refurbishing them
for resale with your excellent modifications? Might make enough spare cash to
splurge on some great new gear.
Thanks for sharing your insights!

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 pm
Roadie
Roadie

As for live use, you can name presets for easier readabilty, and put your
best 42 sounds in the first 21 slots, and last 21 slots, so when you power on,
you have your best sounds within easy reach, saving wear/tear on the main dial,
and easier to visually select on stage.
Cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:52 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

before I start - MYREL Tech - AWESOME solution. However i do not plan on modding my gear.

as far as the issue - I could not agree more. I hate the footswitch and want to understand why. I bought the GT200 hoping it would sound as good as the mustang, give me effects and patches. I use it for rehearsal and live and I am disappointed.

Is there a future footswitch that separates patches from effects and allows for live use? As it is the switches lock up, the reaction is slow and it's impossible to access during gigs.

otherwise it's back to line 6 where you can access everything - tone suffers but the GT sounds no way as good as the last model.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I actually think now with the eqs on board the speaker in the GTs can be made to sound more like a true guitar speaker should, it has some shortcomings but I owned the Mustang IIIv2 and the GT smokes it on software. The speaker difference could impact the difference you hear a lot but once I was able to cut an boost freely with the Eqs I was able to get a much more real tone out of it. I use an ABY pedal and a small orange amp for my more high gain stuff, but anything clean wise or actual fender patches sound fine to me, of course it could be better but for a beginning gigging musician who still has to work up to those high dollar amps, the GT can be a great short term small bar phase solution. When I use the Y channel an combine the orange crush 35rt and the Gt on clean channels its a huge great tone. I will agree the amp still has short comings but for the cash and how close it can replicate fender amps anyway its hard to pass up. I don't think I would gig with this amp once my band has been gigging awhile an has notoriety and is playing decent shows. But for starter it works for me live for now AND I love the no maintenance and light weight, I hope I can afford to keep it when I upgrade whenever that is cause it would serve as a great backup amp in a squeeze.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

As I wrote above, this is now my 6 button GT100 footswitch. Took both the MS-2 and MS-4 apart. Connected the MS-2 UP DPDT to both QA2 and QA3 to simulate depressing both of those at once to get BANKUP and did the same with MS-2 DOWN DPDT switch to both Mode/Tuner and QA1 for BANKDOWN. It works reliably to move between preset banks in groups of three. Once the Bank is reached I step on the one I want and the preset clicks right in. All I did to put it together as a 6 switch unit was swap the two cases. Insert the MS-2 assembly into MS-4 case then join with the MS-4 assembly that has the MS-2 case. Finish the right side with the input jack. You're done. Go play Live and Tap banks as needed. Every preset I use is lined up so that I don't need more than 4 to 6 bank changes. I Have the MS-2 schematic somewhere but this is requires advanced wiring and PC board skill so it's not for everyone. Don't forget about using a Y cable with the EXP-1. Got to have a Volume pedal without making the footswitch go into scramble mode . Another nice new feature is using (a cheap) Android 7.0 phone attached to the mic stand and without looking at the amp panel, I can select and then Tap in the preset Patch but I don't do that live. Great for rehearsals flipping around presets to find what works best at full band volume.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Amateur
Amateur

Very cool man!!! looks great! are you able to control more pedal in you chain this way as well? or is it limited to just switching banks? Either way, if fender would have gave us something like this in the beginning along with the old speakers they used in the Mustang III they would probably have the best digital amp on the market and would have sold many many many more!!!!!! SSSSOOOO the real question is how much for you to do this for me :)!!!!!!!! This would come in so handy!!

Speaking on your phone with the mic stand that is actually the reason a fender rep told me why they didn't put a lot into making a better pedal board, was cause they expect people to use a tablet or ipad, even a phone to control all the extras on stage.........but as we all know the app isn't quite show trust worthy yet, and not everyone has ipads or tablets and phones have such small screens compared to a tablet who would want to risk using their phone to run their amp during a live show??? honestly, what if you get a phone call lol???? a tablet now I can see working really well, I had an ipad that had a broken screen but worked for awhile and it was nice to have that on the stand and control your amp that way, cuz obviously the screen is much bigger, its a shame I have a nook and I cant figure out how to update it to the new android as some people are to be able to get the tone app to work on the nook, it such a nice big HD screen, I went through the tutorials but still couldn't get it to work, I may give in an look for cheap ipad i just got to decide do i really want to keep trusting the GT live or go another route, it sucks cuz the only reason i would even get an ipad is for the amp, and whats worse is i could fix the ipad screen i have but its the original mini which will be obsolete soon, if it hasn't been already, i read that when apple launched is IOS update that certain old iphones and pads would become obsolete. WHICH IS CRAP!!!!!

can anyone shed some light on that subject? would it be worth me fixing the screen even with the update looming, anyone know a rough estimate of how long i could get away with using the originals ipad mini an still have updates to the tone app?

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

It would be easy to do with a couple Double Pole Single Throw momentary normally off footswitches. But finding them may be a bit of work. You can find them all day long in toggle form but in a footswitch....well, they aren't real common. But you can find them i'm sure. Basically you'd just wire each one to the pair of switches in the fender 4 button and when you step on one of them it would hit the contacts on the 2 leftmost switches and the other would trigger the rightmost. Take about 5 minutes with a soldering iron. The time consuming part would be building a housing that either attaches to the 4 button housing or adding jacks to each for the connections and have them seperate and connected with cables. Unless u can find a housing like MYREL Tech did. I did a similar thing with mine, tho not to up/down the patches. It's simple aside from the hardware fabrication and finding the right switches. I mainly did it to seperate the switches because they were too close and also because for reasons too long winded to go into, because i wanted the #2 switch to the the first one on the left.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Cbryand88 wrote:
its a shame I have a nook and I cant figure out how to update it to the new android as some people are to be able to get the tone app to work on the nook,

the only reason i would even get an ipad is for the amp, and whats worse is i could fix the ipad screen i have but its the original mini which will be obsolete soon

I'm guessing you'd want to root your Nook HD to install
the latest android, followed by Tone, among other benefits.
Here's a video and webpage to check

http://joyofandroid.com/root-nook-hd/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvF_5In8Pxw (about 23 min)

Big cities often have tech-recyclers, you might find
some ipad/android tablets or parts cheaper there,
as they become abundant.

Apple (among most other tech giants) are on a treadmill
of fast software advances needing fast hardware improvements,
so market demand often leaves old hardware products in the dust,
and software without updates. Apple are a profit driven business
with stockholders/investors demanding the progress many people
eventually appreciate. I'm a fan of repurposing older tech,
and lucky to have two recyclers with 15 miles.

A polished GT version of the Fender Floor seems like a no-brainer, to me.
Cheers

Go to page 1, 2  Next