It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: American Jazz Bass Elite V pan knob
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I recently bought the "American Jazz Bass Elite V" for my son, and he just mentioned that the pan control doesn't function as it should.

In the middle position (the indent) both pickups are on, okay so far so good.
Turn the knob in either direction slightly and it acts like an on-off switch, there's no blend.
You either get the bridge or neck pickup.

I bought the bass in New York, but am based in Bangkok

Thanks for any suggestions,

Paul

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Post subject: Re: American Jazz Bass Elite V pan knob
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Give it a good cleaning with DeOxit D-5. If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the control.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:56 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Actually, it's functioning properly. Whether or not it's to your or your son's liking is another matter. It doesn't need cleaning. BTW...

I just checked mine. Mine stays in the center 100% of the time, that's the sound I want all the time. It appears that all of the blending is taking place very close to off-center of the detent in the pot. Which is admittedly, a very, VERY narrow operating area. I can see it being frustrating for players that wish to blend the two pickups a certain way. Very difficult to do with the stacked pots being used in the stock preamp.

I'd consult an electronics guy about changing the pots to a different taper. Me, I'm considering changing out the preamp for a John East preamp for other reasons, not necessarily the blend pots.

But, all this to say, your son's bass is functioning properly. As I said above, that may or may not be to your liking.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Geri O

Just tried the "tap the pickup test", it does appear that the blending is in a very narrow area, it is frustrating as you say.
As for changing the pots to a different taper do you have any values in mind?

Other than that, thank you for the info, i am seriously considering the mod for the pan pot.

Best regards,

Paul

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:52 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

paulbekanan@mac.com wrote:
Hi Geri O

Just tried the "tap the pickup test", it does appear that the blending is in a very narrow area, it is frustrating as you say.
As for changing the pots to a different taper do you have any values in mind?

Other than that, thank you for the info, i am seriously considering the mod for the pan pot.

Best regards,

Paul

Sorry, I wish I were that smart :mrgreen: !

It may be tough to get a recommendation on that. It will take an electronics wizard to do some calculations based on the circuit design. The wrong pots could make it worse or not work at all. I wish I knew where to point you.

I'll present this question to the TalkBass forum and see if anyone has any ideas.

Stay tuned.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It would be nice for someone from Fender to step in and respond to this. I have an Elite Precision Bass, and the blend control doesn't work as being described here. It blends. I can go from all neck to 80/20 to 70/30 to 50/50, etc. I don't think it's supposed to be working as a binary, on-off controller. And having it function with a tiny range seems little better. But I haven't heard this brought up by others, and reviews rave about the varying tones.

Can someone verify whether the issue described here is a problem or working as intended?

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I guess a blend ratio of 90/10 doesn't really do it.
I really can't hear the difference.
Would love to hear from all who have this problem.
And, Yes it would be nice to have Fender step in and respond.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and advice.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:20 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I hope someone from Fender steps in on this, too. Otherwise there's two options, one is just a shot-in-the-dark approach. This is from a qualified guitar electronics guy...

"That issue usually has more to do with the nature of passive blending than the pot itself. Pickups usually don't mix well, without buffering.

In any case, you could try a 250k Ohms ungrounded M/N taper blend pot."

Not offering any guarantees. Not to mention, this will be a difficult procedure because of the pots being soldered to a circuit board. Really an electronics hacker-type project (with all due respect to electronics hackers everywhere...:o)))

The other one will certainly yield improvements and that is to replace the preamp with an aftermarket preamp of a similar design. Which is a ridiculous idea on such a new bass with an otherwise really good OEM preamp.

If I come across any more ideas, I'll pass them on.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Looking at the specs online, Fender actually says that it is a "Pan Pot (Pickup Selector)." Note the item in parentheses. So I read it as it looks like a pan pot but functions as a three-way toggle. I spoke to Fender and the rep wasn't sure but thought it was a selector and not a pan.

My experience is that once you are a tick or two away from center, it's all bridge or all neck. That's actually ok with me as I really love the three distinct voices and see no need to blend the two. It just creates confusion for me. Coupled with the great tone controls, I can do what I like with the instrument and then some.

Very happy with my Precision Elite but I too would love to hear DEFINITIVELY if it's indeed a toggle/selector as opposed to infinite panning.

--David

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Guys I got an elite second hand in the middle the know sounds ok to, to the bridge is OK but to the neck is totally mute. I don’t hear anything at all. Any opinions? Please is a new bass bought as second hand :(