It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Post subject: Roger Waters Precision Discontinued?
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Location: "In this country town, where the laughter sounds",...
Is the Roger Waters Precision discontinued? If it is, that's a shame. An extraordinary Fender Precision bass. Not that it means anything, but it's absent from the Fender site.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: Roger Waters Precision Discontinued?
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I don't know, but I did look as well, and I didn't find it on the site, either.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:29 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I didn't gat chance to check on some of the other sites, SW, GC, etc., but SA doesn't show a listing for one, or more on order. Oh well.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

It's a little too late tonight, but on Monday you can always call Fender and ask. One thing I've noticed is that if there is ever a Fender Special Run, or Reissue, or just a special color you want it is best to romp on it right away because who knows how long it will be offered. The Sting bass was only offered for three years(or so) for example. Yet the Geddy Lee has been offered for ten years or more. First as a MIJ import and then as both MIA & MIM offerings. Isn't there also a custom shop Geddy? There are two Duff McKagen basses. The Steve Harris has gone through two models. The Nate Mendel has been offered for what, four or five years now? Flea has two different basses. The Jaco jazz continues to be offered for many years. Marcus Miller went with his new line of Sire basses. I'll guess the Roger Waters has run it's course and demand is satiated, or the contract has run out, or both. Either way there is always the used bass market which seems to be flooded with instruments at all levels.

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Last edited by linnin on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

linnin wrote:
It's a little too late tonight, but on Monday you can always call Fender and ask. One thing I've noticed it that if there is ever a Fender Special Run, or Reissue, or just a special color it is best to romp right on it because who knows how long it will be offered. The Sting bass was only offered for three years(or so) for example. Yet the Geddy Lee has been offered for ten years or more. First as a MIJ import and then as both MIA & MIM offerings. Isn't there also a custom shop Geddy? There are two Duff McKagen basses. The Steve Harris has gone through two models. The Nate Mendel has been offered for what, four or five years now? Flea has two different basses. The Jaco jazz continues to be offered for many years. Marcus Miller went with his new line of Sire basses. I'll guess the Roger Waters has run it's course and demand is satiated, or the contract has run out, or both. Either way there is always the used bass market which seems to be flooded with instruments at all levels.

Very true.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mr. Nylon wrote:
Very true.

Fender has always been willing to innovate. The Dimension Bass is an excellent example. I thought they were wonderful basses and was praying for a lefty, when Fender pulled the plug and discontinued them due to low sales. You can't continue to manufacture products people don't buy without going bankrupt. So no new Dimensions for anyone anymore. Yet they are available in limited numbers in the used market.

The new Vintera series of guitars and basses is also a good example of Fender risk taking. If you want one better romp on it right away, or take your chances later on the used market. The same could also be said of the new American Originals and American Performers. "He Who Hesitates Is Lost".

2016 Rumble 200 Combo
One day they shall name a GREAT city after me, and they shall call it LINNINGRAD

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I really liked those Dimension basses. They had a 21 or 22 fret neck, which I thought was useful, because it offered a high "E," which I was using for a song coda at one time.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

linnin wrote:
Mr. Nylon wrote:
Very true.

Fender has always been willing to innovate. The Dimension Bass is an excellent example. I thought they were wonderful basses and was praying for a lefty, when Fender pulled the plug and discontinued them due to low sales. You can't continue to manufacture products people don't buy without going bankrupt. So no new Dimensions for anyone anymore. Yet they are available in limited numbers in the used market.

The new Vintera series of guitars and basses is also a good example of Fender risk taking. If you want one better romp on it right away, or take your chances later on the used market. The same could also be said of the new American Originals and American Performers. "He Who Hesitates Is Lost".

Luckily for Fender, they do have the top dogs in the world, to fall back on. The Jazz, and Precision I believe will be the prominent, legendary basses to stand the test of time. Copied by many, but don't have the name Fender on the Machine Head.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I really liked those Dimension basses. They had a 21 or 22 fret neck, which I thought was useful, because it offered a high "E," which I was using for a song coda at one time.

I think they were just a little too different for most players to attempt to give them a try.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:23 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I think that's the problem with a lot of musicians, or people in general, they don't like to step out of the comfort zone every once in a while, and try something different. At least give something a try. You never know, you might something you like that you'd never even thought about before, and it could inspire you to do something.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:25 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

PaulLF wrote:
I think that's the problem with a lot of musicians, or people in general, they don't like to step out of the comfort zone every once in a while, and try something different. At least give something a try. You never know, you might something you like that you'd never even thought about before, and it could inspire you to do something.

It's easy to get locked into those comfort zones. I know I'm prone to some myself.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:28 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've done it myself, until recently, when I've made the effort to listen to new music, instead of what I did when I was in my teens and 20's. I wouldn't have done that even 5 years ago, but I started to realize my generation are becoming cranky, get off my lawn old farts, and I don't want anything to do with that, or become that, which I think I was. :P I still listen to that music, 60's music, and all kinds of stuff. I'm just expanding my horizons a bit. There is good stuff out there, you just have to dig sometimes.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I have a few years on you, and it's real easy for me to zone out most music that doesn't bring back great memories of better times in my life. The mid to late 60's, to about 1980, or so. Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, etc.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people will do that. Usually music that made an impact when they were a certain age. The funny thing is because I had older siblings, I was exposed to music more from the 60's and 70's, especially rock music. Although, because of my parents, especially my dad, I listened to a lot of country as a kid, and I watched "Hee Haw."

I think when I got into playing bass, that really got me into music, because I understood what goes into it. You know before that, I really didn't have a clue what a bass even was. I remember seeing one in the high school music building, and I though it was just a guitar with four bigger strings on it. I didn't even realize I'd be playing one of those within the next year or two. A friend of mine at the time talked me into getting one, since he already started playing guitar, and wanted to put a band together. I still remember first going out and trying to find one, first going into one of these places like Circuit City or Best Buy, or it's late 80's equivalent, since they happened to have some guitars there, but not a bass, then we happened to find a music shop that I wound up spending a lot of time and money at, and bought the cheapest one I could find, not even sure I was going to stick with it.

Imagine that, almost 31 years later, here I am, and as far as I know, that guy more or less quit playing and got into paint ball gun tournaments. You know, those dudes that pretend they are GI Joe and shoot each other with paint ball guns. I guess that's a really big thing, or was years ago, even international. I haven't seen or heard from him since I was in my early 20's, so who knows?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Even when I was away from playing, working other jobs etc, I never lost the love of playing bass. 16 Yrs. old in 1968, and 67 yrs. old in 2019. Goodbye 6 stringers, and hello forever basses. Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next