It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Help identifying an American Standard model...
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone!

So three or four years ago I picked up an American Standard P-Bass, second hand, as I was making a lot of music at the time and wanted something to use when working on my more rock-like stuff (I think I paid around £600 - £700 GBP at the time).

It's a lovely bass, but it has spent most of that time in my spare room (along with too many other unused instruments!), so it's time for it to move on to another owner so that I can reclaim the room, and I thought I should make sure I know what it is I'm selling.

I'm not sure if I checked the serial number at the time I bought it, but sometime between then and now I think I must have looked in to it because I remember coming to the conclusion that it was a 2004 mexican made American Standard, though maybe I just read a bad guide or came to the wrong conclusions.

Anyway, I just looked at the official Fender FAQ, and it now seems like it's more likely a 2010 model from the serial number and was made in Corona? (the neck plate says Corona on it...which is in California).

The only thing that is slightly confusing is the serial number format. The FAQ says that 2010 models might be one of two formats:

A: 10 + 7 digits.
B: US10 + 6 digits.

However, mine is:

C: 10 + 6 digits.

I've got not reason to think it's fake or otherwise. I've got enough guitars to know what a well made instrument feels like and this is definitely one of those.

I'm really just trying to reconcile my somewhat fuzzy memory of my previous conclusion with what seems to be the conclusion now.

So I guess what I'm really asking is:

1) Is my serial number format consistent with being a 2010 model?

and:

2) Can anyone provide the specs for a 2010 Am Std P-Bass? (mine's finished in a metallic-ish red)

and finally:

3) Does anyone have any idea of how much I should be looking to sell it for?

(It's got a couple of nicks on the body paint, but nothing bigger than a couple of millimetres and is in perfect condition otherwise due to the lack of use.)

Thanks for all your help!

Ava

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Help identifying an American Standard model...
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

IC10 + 6 digits is a Indonesian made bass

Did previous owner remove the first letter "I"

IC10 + 6 digits 2010- 2011

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/art ... ufactured-

Post picture of the bass

I have 2010 Fender Frontline with some specs

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

ElvenPrincess wrote:
The only thing that is slightly confusing is the serial number format. The FAQ says that 2010 models might be one of two formats:
However, mine is:

This is from Fender support pages:
Quote:
A new serial numbering scheme was adopted toward the end of 2009 using the number “10” as a prefix, followed by a space, followed by seven digits. The “10” prefix was designed to identify the first year of the second decade of the new millennium, and while it appears on the instrument decals, it was not captured in Fender’s operating system. Only the seven-digit suffixes were actually entered into the database. These serial numbers did not identify the country of origin in the body of the number. Instead, the instrument's country of origin appears on the decal on the back of the headstock, near the serial number.
And don't be alarmed by the "seven", there are plenty of absolutely legit Fender instruments with 10+six digits serial. You could check the serial with Fender Consumer Relations; support pages & either email or the wonderful chat service there. And it's not alarming if they can't find it; those 10-prefix serials seem to be missing from the database surprisingly often.

ElvenPrincess wrote:
the specs for a 2010 Am Std P-Bass? (mine's finished in a metallic-ish red)
Like this one: 2009 Precision Candy Cola @reverb.com ?
Anyways, Fender usually can provide the full specs sheet with the serial number enquiry.

ElvenPrincess wrote:
how much I should be looking to sell it for?
If it checks out to be legit, that reverb level is some guidance; I think the 2008-2010 models were had the same specs. For GB/EU, just convert the $ to £€ as it is. :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:53 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jmattis wrote:
ElvenPrincess wrote:
However, mine is:

This is from Fender support pages:
Quote:
A new serial numbering scheme was adopted toward the end of 2009 using the number “10” as a prefix, followed by a space, followed by seven digits. The “10” prefix was designed to identify the first year of the second decade of the new millennium, and while it appears on the instrument decals, it was not captured in Fender’s operating system. Only the seven-digit suffixes were actually entered into the database. These serial numbers did not identify the country of origin in the body of the number. Instead, the instrument's country of origin appears on the decal on the back of the headstock, near the serial number.
And don't be alarmed by the "seven", there are plenty of absolutely legit Fender instruments with 10+six digits serial. You could check the serial with Fender Consumer Relations; support pages & either email or the wonderful chat service there. And it's not alarming if they can't find it; those 10-prefix serials seem to be missing from the database surprisingly often.

ElvenPrincess wrote:
the specs for a 2010 Am Std P-Bass? (mine's finished in a metallic-ish red)
Like this one: 2009 Precision Candy Cola @reverb.com ?
Anyways, Fender usually can provide the full specs sheet with the serial number enquiry.

ElvenPrincess wrote:
how much I should be looking to sell it for?
If it checks out to be legit, that reverb level is some guidance; I think the 2008-2010 models were had the same specs. For GB/EU, just convert the $ to £€ as it is. :wink:

Thanks you so much for the info on the serial numbers. I reached the same conclusion after a lot of searching in the end regarding the 10 + 6 digits, but it's good to have it confirmed.

In the end I let it go for £100 less than that price. The guy I sold it to seemed surprised (and very happy), but because I got it for a very good price in the first place, it pretty much worked out only costing me around £50 -£100-ish (I forget!) for 4 years of ownership, which I can't really complain about.

To be honest I'm just glad to have one less instrument taking up space in my spare room and happy that the guy I sold it to seemed to be interested in it to actually play, which is a big win in my book as it had gone unplayed for too long!

Thanks again!