It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: New (to me) 1970 Fender Mustang
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello Forum!
I thought for my first post I'd share my experience acquiring a new old guitar. I hope this is ok!
Last December my friend said he had picked up an old mustang that someone had sanded down and dumped a bunch of paint on. The electronics and hardware were all original, except for the switches (and the missing knobs)

I purchased it from my friend, took it apart, and started sanding. and sanding. and sanding. 5 coats of paint and some internet research later, I found out it was originally a red 1970 competition mustang. Wanting to restore this beautiful instrument I knew I needed help - because to do it correctly was beyond my ability. I found Andy over at https://www.badmojomakeovers.com/ They specialize in vintage makeovers - and they certainly did a fantastic job on my rig. I sent them the neck and body in Februry, asking them to re-finish the body and age it to match the neck and headstock wear/damage. What I got back was beyond my wildest dreams.

I'd write more, but it's time to go start installing some electronics and hardware so I can play this thing. Here are the before and after pics. For a more detailed view of the checking and wear, you can see higher resolution pics here. https://imgur.com/a/pyYrPDz

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1970 Fender Mustang
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Employees at Fender sometimes resprayed a new color over an existing finished body. The reasons for Fender doing this aren't very clear but we do know that the occurrences are rare. Here is an example of Competition Red over Competition Blue. Look closely at the finish 2nd and 3rd pictures that reveal the blue undercoat in the areas of wear. https://pinoychannelflix.su/pinoy-channel "Well after looking daily for one for almost a year now I found her one that I $@!& you guys not was 10 minutes away from my house!!!!!! A guy had it since 1974 in his home and didn't use it much anymore. It's a 1969 in Competition Burgundy like she dreamed about too!!!! I nearly lost all self control when I saw the purple Misty-ness on the edges of the body and matching headstock!

Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1970 Fender Mustang
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:27 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

That pinoychannelflix link has no Mustang pics, so looks like an advertizing spam...
Anyways, not a good starting post, kingmay.

On the OP's guitar, nice one going there. Any update?