It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: CLASSIC PLAYER JAGUAR TREMOLO
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:27 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello - I have been reading posts here for a while, and now registered from comms !

nice to meet you all...

So, hoping someone may be able to help with some information regarding replacing a tremolo plate/system on the Classic Player Jaguar.

This would be a like for like, dropping in a new part. And from what i can tell so far, it looks to be a straightforward procedure - can anyone advise if there are any specific dos and don'ts ?

Is it really as simple as unscrewing the existing and screwing back in the new (i.e. nothing needs to be tweaked on the new part spring or tension wise ?).

Or is there more to it, and I should leave to when i have it set up ?

Thanks for any help !

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: CLASSIC PLAYER JAGUAR TREMOLO
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

SPECTRUM001 wrote:
So, hoping someone may be able to help with some information regarding replacing a tremolo plate/system on the Classic Player Jaguar.

And the point of this?

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well, I am asking if anyone can advise whether this a straightforward procedure ?

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:46 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

In general, "drop in replacements seldom exist".

In your case, replace the original tremolo with which tremolo, and why?

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:27 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ah - the original, existing unit is pretty banged up, so I was thinking of replacing with a new one (the same Fender part), which in theory should match up perfectly.

Hence, I am not sure whether this is something I can do myself (ie remove the old, and drop in the new), or whether it is a complex procedure (ie setting spring tension or similar) that I should have done by a tech during set up.

Apologies if this seems dim - I have not done this before, so a step into the unknown...

Thanks !

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

At least three ways to proceed...

If you want to learn, you need to DIY. The swap (which in itself might be simple since it's the same part) requires a full setup afterwards, including (but not limited to) the trem spring adjustment. Might take time, requires some basic tools and skills, but when (note: not "if") you succeed, you'll be real satisfied.

If you want it quick, use a good pro. On a task like this, he/she/it returns the guitar in top shape setup (according to your preferences, if you have them). And this kind of job usually includes checking & fixing all kinds of little but significant things like nut slots, frets etc. (I don't mean you get a fret job for the price; just minor thangs.)

The third way is to fix the existing trem, depending on the banged up degree. That's usually what I'd choose.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Many thanks for the info; that is what I wondered !

It can wait until next set up - so I might have a go come the time, and then let the tech review and finesse.

Cheers all !