It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: have you guys found rare guitars in pawn shops?
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:42 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi im just asking has anyone got a rare fenders on pawn shops because I have seen artists like kurt cobain getting a rare competition mustang that's left handed and lydia night of the regrettes getting a rare fender swinger so yeah do you guys get rares in pawn shops if so what is it? and can you tell the story of it? and please give me some advice on where to get rares? also im left handed.

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: have you guys found rare guitars in pawn shops?
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have not, but then again I haven't tried looking or spend time in Pawn Shops...no doubt they're out there though.
I'd have to assume to find a rare lefty let alone regular lefty is going to be next to impossible. Already seems hard enough to acquire a NEW lefty.

12' Standard Strat
13' CD-60
15' Standard Strat
15' T-Bucket 300CE Amber
15' Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
17' Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:05 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I have looked in dozens of pawn shops and only found over priced low end guitars. I did buy an acoustic from a pawn shop once. They had 10 of them. The guy said a band came in and pawned them. I couldn't stop laughing. Right, a band came in and pawed 10 identical guitars. I bought it cheap played it for a year and sold it for what I paid. Another time I found a American Tele in a pawn shop. They quoted me a price more than a new one and it wasn't old. When I told them I could buy a new one for less, he slammed the case shut and told me to leave his shop, LOL.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:22 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Not actually a pawn shop , but when I was working (I was a tiler) , I used to call in a hardware shop for bits and bobs
One day he had a guitar in , an old 1970's Japanese Teisco which looked like a Jaguar copy......Turns out it was his son's and he was selling it
A few years late when I was working in that area again, I called in again and was surprised that he had loads of guitars and amps in, some high end Fenders and Gibsons etc

While chatting to him he told me having his son's guitar in the window , started people asking him if he sold guitar strings or anything else musical so he saw a distributor and things went from there .......it is now, (albeit small), a well respected music shop and his prices are very reasonable

"All right, guys, uh, listen. This is a blues riff in "B", watch me for the changes, and try and keep up, okay?"

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

wow those are crazy trips to the pawn shop are there more also i was wondering how did these artist like kurt cobain,etc etc get their old guitars

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

EeshSinGer wrote:
i was wondering how did these artist like kurt cobain,etc etc get their old guitars
My best guess would be 'unlimited resources'. If you have enough money (and fame)....everyone's got their price.
I love my 2012 Standard Strat so much, that if my house was on fire, and I had ONE thing I could grab and save (aside from loved ones of course) it would be that. HOWEVER: if (for whatever reason) someone famous offered me insane amounts of money for it....she'd be gone in a heartbeat. Not only would you have a pocket full of dough...you got "bragging rights" when they hit the stage with your guitar.

12' Standard Strat
13' CD-60
15' Standard Strat
15' T-Bucket 300CE Amber
15' Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
17' Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:31 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Up until Kurt, used Mustangs were unwanted guitars. They were designed as "student/beginner's" guitars -- like today's Squiers -- and they didn't lose that "stigma" until Nirvana. Even '60s originals were dirt-cheap in the '80s.

Used Jags and Jazzmasters were a little more popular, but they didn't sell for anywhere near Strats and Teles.

Kurt was influenced by the punk ethos. He didn't want a "guitar hero's" guitar. He wanted something odd, something people dismissed as inferior.
-----------------
You won't find them cheap nowadays.
Because of Kurt.

Like those weird plastic National guitars Jack White played. They were a sales failure when new, and until Jack came along they were seen as cheap novelty toys.
---------------------
You want a guitar "like Kurt played"? Look for the guitars people laugh at and don't want to buy. Uncool guitars.

If Kurt was starting out now, he'd probably put a Duncan JB in a First Act beater.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:32 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I had one like this given to me , It's an old Kay and believe it or not, it had a really good sound, the whammy worked well and the action
was remarkably good

"All right, guys, uh, listen. This is a blues riff in "B", watch me for the changes, and try and keep up, okay?"

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:29 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

strayedstrater wrote:
You want a guitar "like Kurt played"? Look for the guitars people laugh at and don't want to buy. Uncool guitars.

If Kurt was starting out now, he'd probably put a Duncan JB in a First Act beater.

Or even one of the $150-$200 Amazon/eBay kit guitars.