It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: American Standard to Nashville Mod Pup recommendations
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:05 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 2014 American Standard Telecaster and I've also been looking at Nashville Teles as I used to have one and liked the dual functionality of that set up. However upon close inspection I see that my Am Std has a middle pickup route under the pick guard. So...I'm going to turn it into a "Nashville" Tele! It has the Broadcaster/Twisted Tele Pups so I'd like to stay with Fender pups. What to install? A Fat 50's Strat pup? Other recs? Planning on a push/pull also to get that Tele bridge/Neck pup combo.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: American Standard to Nashville Mod Pup recommendations
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:35 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

If you liked your old Nashville, why not go with Tex-Mex?

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:25 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

voxampguy wrote:
I have a 2014 American Standard Telecaster and I've also been looking at Nashville Teles as I used to have one and liked the dual functionality of that set up. However upon close inspection I see that my Am Std has a middle pickup route under the pick guard. So...I'm going to turn it into a "Nashville" Tele! It has the Broadcaster/Twisted Tele Pups so I'd like to stay with Fender pups. What to install? A Fat 50's Strat pup? Other recs? Planning on a push/pull also to get that Tele bridge/Neck pup combo.

The Fat 50s for the middle position would compliment the Broadcaster/Twisted nicely.

You'll need a super 5-way selector for more tonal options. Plus a 2-way toggle to enable the 7-way pickup switching and an S1 push-push switch to expand the sonic palette.

Kinda sorta of an American Deluxe Nashville pickup configuration with a hint of "Baja" flavours.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

fenderfan wrote:
If you liked your old Nashville, why not go with Tex-Mex?

Didn't like the Tex-Mex pickups. Guitar was above average over all but liked the versatility. Love the 2014 Am Std though. Just wanted some options. I can get away with 2 guitars at a gig but not 3!

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

chromeface wrote:
voxampguy wrote:

The Fat 50s for the middle position would compliment the Broadcaster/Twisted nicely.

You'll need a super 5-way selector for more tonal options. Plus a 2-way toggle to enable the 7-way pickup switching and an S1 push-push switch to expand the sonic palette.

Kinda sorta of an American Deluxe Nashville pickup configuration with a hint of "Baja" flavours.

Now that's what I'm talking' about!! Nice. So is this a Deluxe?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So Chromeface, I'm assuming that the S1 switch engages the bridge pickup at anytime? Gives you the Tele Bridge/Neck combo in position 5(neck), right? Or all 3 when the position 4 is selected?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:18 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

voxampguy wrote:
So Chromeface, I'm assuming that the S1 switch engages the bridge pickup at anytime? Gives you the Tele Bridge/Neck combo in position 5(neck), right? Or all 3 when the position 4 is selected?

Actually, you can wire it up in any combination you like...

It's just a simple matter of wiring the pups anywhere you like on the switch.

cheers!

'11 FSR Am. Vtg. Ltd. Ed. CAR '57 Stratocaster (SN# LE02639)
'14 American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
'12 Telebration Empress Telecaster
'99 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
'12 FSR Telecaster HH
'10 Heritage H-535
'99 Martin DC-1E
'13 Lanikai Tenor Ukulele

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

voxampguy wrote:

Actually on these 1998s the mini-toggle was the switch that gave you the bridge/neck in positions 1 & 5 and all 3 in positions 2 & 4. The old Tele Plus v2 models had that same mini-toggle wiring. Of course these models predate the introduction of the S-1 switch in late Summer/early Fall of 2003.

That being said, Lightnin MN is correct; you can wire the S-1 switch to do whatever you want; it's just a 2-way switch.

But I'm curious now. Hey Chromeface - what does the S-1 do on this one?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

John C wrote:
voxampguy wrote:

Actually on these 1998s the mini-toggle was the switch that gave you the bridge/neck in positions 1 & 5 and all 3 in positions 2 & 4. The old Tele Plus v2 models had that same mini-toggle wiring. Of course these models predate the introduction of the S-1 switch in late Summer/early Fall of 2003.

Is the S1 for Parallel to Series on the bridge and neck?

That being said, Lightnin MN is correct; you can wire the S-1 switch to do whatever you want; it's just a 2-way switch.

But I'm curious now. Hey Chromeface - what does the S-1 do on this one?

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

John C wrote:
what does the S-1 do on this one?

I think the S-1 enables more tonal options previously unavailable on the American Deluxe Nashville giving series/parallel/out of phase sounds in conjuction with the 2-way toggle and the 5-way "Strat-O-Tele" pickup selector.

We already know the 2-way toggle activates the bridge and neck pickups in positions 1 & 5 and all 3 in positions 2 & 4 on the 5-way selector.

Quote:
Is the S-1 for parallel to series on the bridge and neck?

Yes. It also enables the special tone cap for getting out-of-phase tones.

This mod is also applicable for the 2nd generation Tele Pluses produced between 1995 and 1997.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:04 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

voxampguy wrote:
Now that's what I'm talking' about!! Nice. So is this a Deluxe?

Yep!

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
John C wrote:
what does the S-1 do on this one?

I think the S-1 enables more tonal options previously unavailable on the American Deluxe Nashville giving series/parallel/out of phase sounds in conjuction with the 2-way toggle and the 5-way "Strat-O-Tele" pickup selector.

We already know the 2-way toggle activates the bridge and neck pickups in positions 1 & 5 and all 3 in positions 2 & 4 on the 5-way selector.

Quote:
Is the S-1 for parallel to series on the bridge and neck?

Yes. It also enables the special tone cap for getting out-of-phase tones.

This mod is also applicable for the 2nd generation Tele Pluses produced between 1995 and 1997.

Cool - so you're getting the switching of a 2004 or later SSS American Deluxe Strat as well as the mini-toggle functionality. A real Swiss Army knife Tele!

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I was given a '99 Nashville Deluxe Telecaster back in 2012 from a friend for aiding with an Engine rebuild.

It had been modified by my friend's brother to the point of removing the OEM pups, the pickguard and 5-way switch and had a phase switch/wiring added. The Body/Neck were excellent (one of my fav necks between my 7 electrics) and I felt I needed a standard configured Telecaster.

Later, as I added my '12 60th Anniversary 'Telebration' Empress Telecaster

and my '13 Custom Telecaster HH

I began to think that perhaps I should 'restore' my Nashville back to Factory Spec. I spent 6 mos. scouring ebay for an NOS set of Tex Mex pups, a genuine Fender NOS Tort Nashville PG and 5-way switch (all for under $125.00), and put it back in OEM condition

I think the Tex Mex are a perfect combo for this guitar !

Though honestly, if I didn't have the Tonal options available from my other Teles - If I only had the one Telecaster, I may have chosen others for the resto, I'll never know.

But I think the Tex-Mex's are way better than the going consensus, which is mostly anecdotal. Most of the opposing opinions I read are from people who've never played them, played them in a Strat (totally different animal) or never learned to play them before succumbing to the Herd's collective opinion.

Of couse, YOMV...

cheers!

'11 FSR Am. Vtg. Ltd. Ed. CAR '57 Stratocaster (SN# LE02639)
'14 American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
'12 Telebration Empress Telecaster
'99 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
'12 FSR Telecaster HH
'10 Heritage H-535
'99 Martin DC-1E
'13 Lanikai Tenor Ukulele

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:26 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

voxampguy wrote:

You don't need to install a push/pull switch to get the Tele Bridge/Neck pup combo.
The following is what I consider to be the "Ultimate Guide to 'Nashville' and 'Tele Plus' Wiring."
This should probably be the subject of a separate thread, but I will at least initially post it here.
I think this will help you with your project.

Personally, I've never liked the esthetics of the Fender push/pull switch, and having owned a 2006 American Deluxe Strat, I never found the additional tones from the pickups wired in series, to be interesting enough to overcome my dislike for this switch.
Different strokes for different folks.

I've been researching wiring for "Nashville" Teles and for the 1997-98 "Telecaster Plus" (without humbuckers) for a guitar build I'm planning, based loosely on the Telecaster Plus with the chrome covered middle pickup.
If you use a normal 5-way Stratocaster switch, you can add the "Neck" Pickup to the "Bridge + Middle" and "Bridge," switch positions No. 4 and 5, with use of a mini toggle by following the following modified wiring diagram.

Many thanks to Deaf Eddie at PDPRI.com for his April 25, 2009 post of this modified wiring diagram.
I had obtained a similar Tele Plus diagram from Fender Customer Relation without the modification, which made no sense to me.
There is an obvious error in the Fender schematic drawing, since the back side common pole with wire leading to the mini toggle switch, had no associated, back side pickup contact points that were Hot, absent the modification shown above.

But personally, as opposed to using a 5-way Strat style switch, I recommend using an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch.

These Super Switches can be wired in various ways, which can reproduce either traditional Stratocaster wiring (1. Neck >> 2. Neck + Middle >> 3. Middle >> 4. Middle + Bridge >> 5. Bridge) or in the alternative, wiring which will incorporate the traditional Tele "Neck + Bridge" at the No. 3 switch position, while eliminating the No.3, "Middle" Pickup only option.
If you add a mini Toggle switch, you can add the "Bridge" Pickup to the "Neck" and "Neck + Middle" at switch positions No. 1 and 2, allowing for all pickups to be played simultaneously at position No. 2 when the mini toggle is ON.
Note: The "Neck + Bridge" pickups will also be played at Super Switch position No. 3, with the "Bridge" pickup also played at the No. 4 and 5 positions, regardless as to whether the toggle switch is ON or OFF.

The following wiring diagrams show two (2) wiring options using an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch (there are more, generally redundant wiring designs, but I will limit discussion to the following two wiring options), with the wiring of an optional mini toggle switch shown.
Fender uses an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch in the American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster with a wiring scheme slightly different than the first diagram below; both of which features "Neck + Bridge" at position No. 3.
I prefer the wiring scheme below over the Fender wiring scheme.

I have not yet decided whether or not I will use the toggle switch in my "Tele Plus" Build, or build the guitar more like a "Nashville" in terms of wiring.

The diagram immediately below has the traditional Tele "Neck + Bridge" Pickup combination at the No. 3 switch position.
A traditional, two sided, 2 Pole, 5-Way, Stratocaster switch has a back plate hiding one of the common pole sides which makes viewing how the second side aligns with the movement of the pickup contact points on the open side, difficult.

With a Super Switch, you can see exactly how the Super Switch works by following the common wheel contact points leading to both common poles (Red contact points), as the Super Switch has two pickup contacts on the common wheel for each pole, which turn together, and create the various pickup combinations.
The movable pickup contact points are easily seen and followed on the Super Switch for the various pickup combinations, because both common poles, and the associated pickup contact points, are on the same open side of the Super Switch.

The wiring diagram below reproduces traditional Stratocaster wiring with the "Middle" Pickup at the No. 3 switch position, and also shows use of the optional mini toggle switch.

As regarding the actual wiring between the Volume and Tone Pots, I plan to wire the pots in the following manner, which is currently used by Fender on the American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster, as well as on other Fender Telecasters.

As opposed to grounding on top of the pots, I use the "Star Grounding" method advocated at GuitarNuts .com.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Here is a picture of a "grounding star," from a previous Tele build, where all ground wires connect at a single point and are grounded by the ground wire from the jack.
No wires are soldered to the top of the volume or tone pots and all potential ground loops that may cause a 60 cycle hum are eliminated.
The ground star will be covered with electrical tape.
BTW, there is only one (1) Orange Drop capacitor in the photo below.
The second Orange Drop is a reflection in the control plate.

Image[/quote]

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

MickJagger wrote:
voxampguy wrote:

You don't need to install a push/pull switch to get the Tele Bridge/Neck pup combo.
The following is what I consider to be the "Ultimate Guide to 'Nashville' and 'Tele Plus' Wiring."
This should probably be the subject of a separate thread, but I will at least initially post it here.
I think this will help you with your project.

Personally, I've never liked the esthetics of the Fender push/pull switch, and having owned a 2006 American Deluxe Strat, I never found the additional tones from the pickups wired in series, to be interesting enough to overcome my dislike for this switch.
Different strokes for different folks.

I've been researching wiring for "Nashville" Teles and for the 1997-98 "Telecaster Plus" (without humbuckers) for a guitar build I'm planning, based loosely on the Telecaster Plus with the chrome covered middle pickup.
If you use a normal 5-way Stratocaster switch, you can add the "Neck" Pickup to the "Bridge + Middle" and "Bridge," switch positions No. 4 and 5, with use of a mini toggle by following the following modified wiring diagram.

Many thanks to Deaf Eddie at PDPRI.com for his April 25, 2009 post of this modified wiring diagram.
I had obtained a similar Tele Plus diagram from Fender Customer Relation without the modification, which made no sense to me.
There is an obvious error in the Fender schematic drawing, since the back side common pole with wire leading to the mini toggle switch, had no associated, back side pickup contact points that were Hot, absent the modification shown above.

But personally, as opposed to using a 5-way Strat style switch, I recommend using an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch.

These Super Switches can be wired in various ways, which can reproduce either traditional Stratocaster wiring (1. Neck >> 2. Neck + Middle >> 3. Middle >> 4. Middle + Bridge >> 5. Bridge) or in the alternative, wiring which will incorporate the traditional Tele "Neck + Bridge" at the No. 3 switch position, while eliminating the No.3, "Middle" Pickup only option.
If you add a mini Toggle switch, you can add the "Bridge" Pickup to the "Neck" and "Neck + Middle" at switch positions No. 1 and 2, allowing for all pickups to be played simultaneously at position No. 2 when the mini toggle is ON.
Note: The "Neck + Bridge" pickups will also be played at Super Switch position No. 3, with the "Bridge" pickup also played at the No. 4 and 5 positions, regardless as to whether the toggle switch is ON or OFF.

The following wiring diagrams show two (2) wiring options using an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch (there are more, generally redundant wiring designs, but I will limit discussion to the following two wiring options), with the wiring of an optional mini toggle switch shown.
Fender uses an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2-Pole Super Switch in the American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster with a wiring scheme slightly different than the first diagram below; both of which features "Neck + Bridge" at position No. 3.
I prefer the wiring scheme below over the Fender wiring scheme.

I have not yet decided whether or not I will use the toggle switch in my "Tele Plus" Build, or build the guitar more like a "Nashville" in terms of wiring.

The diagram immediately below has the traditional Tele "Neck + Bridge" Pickup combination at the No. 3 switch position.
A traditional, two sided, 2 Pole, 5-Way, Stratocaster switch has a back plate hiding one of the common pole sides which makes viewing how the second side aligns with the movement of the pickup contact points on the open side, difficult.

With a Super Switch, you can see exactly how the Super Switch works by following the common wheel contact points leading to both common poles (Red contact points), as the Super Switch has two pickup contacts on the common wheel for each pole, which turn together, and create the various pickup combinations.
The movable pickup contact points are easily seen and followed on the Super Switch for the various pickup combinations, because both common poles, and the associated pickup contact points, are on the same open side of the Super Switch.

The wiring diagram below reproduces traditional Stratocaster wiring with the "Middle" Pickup at the No. 3 switch position, and also shows use of the optional mini toggle switch.

As regarding the actual wiring between the Volume and Tone Pots, I plan to wire the pots in the following manner, which is currently used by Fender on the American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster, as well as on other Fender Telecasters.

As opposed to grounding on top of the pots, I use the "Star Grounding" method advocated at GuitarNuts .com.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Here is a picture of a "grounding star," from a previous Tele build, where all ground wires connect at a single point and are grounded by the ground wire from the jack.
No wires are soldered to the top of the volume or tone pots and all potential ground loops that may cause a 60 cycle hum are eliminated.
The ground star will be covered with electrical tape.
BTW, there is only one (1) Orange Drop capacitor in the photo below.
The second Orange Drop is a reflection in the control plate.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing pics and info.

The Push-Push switch on this modified American Deluxe adds the special tone cap for out-of-phase sounds and wires the pickups from series to parallel and vice-versa.
In conjunction with the 2-way toggle and the 5-way "Strat-O-Tele" selector the S-1 switch increases the total amount of tonal variations to 14.