It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Tele Modern Player Plus pickup replacement?
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone.
I've been playing guitars for many years but have never really gotten into replacing pickups and related hardware. I have been doing a little experimentation on a Tele clone, but when I saw the MP Plus I ran right down to my local Guitar Center to play one. Of course, they didn't have one. So I waited. And waited. When they finally came in I was out of town, and then got busy so I didn't get one until Black Friday.

I love this guitar! The fit and finish are outstanding.
The pups aren't bad but I am thinking of replacing them with Fender Noiseless Tele in the neck, Fender Noiseless Strat in the middle and a Seymour Duncan SH-11 in the bridge.
I play mostly old country, some blues, and some old rock.
Do you think I will notice much difference in the tone, and do you think this is a decent selection of pickups for the guitar?

Thanks in advance!
Mayor

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Tele Modern Player Plus pickup replacement?
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:44 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Hello everyone.
I've been playing guitars for many years but have never really gotten into replacing pickups and related hardware. I have been doing a little experimentation on a Tele clone, but when I saw the MP Plus I ran right down to my local Guitar Center to play one. Of course, they didn't have one. So I waited. And waited. When they finally came in I was out of town, and then got busy so I didn't get one until Black Friday.

I love this guitar! The fit and finish are outstanding.
The pups aren't bad but I am thinking of replacing them with Fender Noiseless Tele in the neck, Fender Noiseless Strat in the middle and a Seymour Duncan SH-11 in the bridge.
I play mostly old country, some blues, and some old rock.
Do you think I will notice much difference in the tone, and do you think this is a decent selection of pickups for the guitar?

Thanks in advance!
Mayor

Welcome and congrats!

Tonally, you will lose frequency response and volume if you replace what you have in there now with the Noiseless pickups; the Custom Custom (CC) will be out of character with the Noiseless pickups as it is virtually all midrange. Further, the CC uses an Alnico II magnet so the response of the pickup to your picking will be less brisk in comparison to the Noiseless pickups which use Alnico V. Lastly, the CC will be significantly louder than both of the Noiseless.

As always, this is merely IMO where YMMV.

(FYI: You'd need a TB-xx vs an SH-xx due to the string spacing.)

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Martian wrote:

Welcome and congrats!

Tonally, you will lose frequency response and volume if you replace what you have in there now with the Noiseless pickups; the Custom Custom (CC) will be out of character with the Noiseless pickups as it is virtually all midrange. Further, the CC uses an Alnico II magnet so the response of the pickup to your picking will be less brisk in comparison to the Noiseless pickups which use Alnico V. Lastly, the CC will be significantly louder than both of the Noiseless.

Thanks so much for your response. I had no idea the string spacing was different, you saved me a costly mistake!
So A better choice would be something like a TB-59, but I need something with 4 wires so I can use it split coil. Hmmm, any suggestions?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Martian wrote:

Welcome and congrats!

Thanks so much for your response. I had no idea the string spacing was different, you saved me a costly mistake!
So A better choice would be something like a TB-59, but I need something with 4 wires so I can use it split coil. Hmmm, any suggestions?

You're quite welcome.

When players are contemplating pickup replacements, I ask two questions:

1. What DO you like about your current pickups?
2. What are they missing?

See, it happens way too many times. Someone decides that say for example, a TB-1 (I presume that's what you mean by a TB-59) fulfills the requirements of Question #2 but they don't take into consideration what they might lose by the pickup switch in accordance with Question #1.

So, I ask you the above two questions.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Martian wrote:
You're quite welcome.

See, it happens way too many times. Someone decides that say for example, a TB-1 (I presume that's what you mean by a TB-59) fulfills the requirements of Question #2 but they don't take into consideration what they might lose by the pickup switch in accordance with Question #1.

The original pups just seem too "thin" for me if you can catch my drift. They seem to have the twang part down, but there is just no "color" to them. In fact, the single coil pups in my cheap little Squire Strat sound much better.
So, I decided to change them out, and I was told that the Noiseless Fenders have very close to the same tone as a single coil. (and they aren't completely noiseless either, depending on installation and surrounding noisemaking stuff) ;)
This is the TB59 pickup that I am considering; http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/59_model_sh1_an/
My local Guitar Center didn't have one of course, but a store just a couple hundred miles away actually had one in stock and is shipping it to my local store so I can check it out.
Other than the pickups, I really love that inexpensive little Tele, Thanks Fender for making such a nice guitar available for us poor old grampa's out here! :)
And of course, thank you Martian for your ongoing advice!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Martian wrote:
You're quite welcome.

The original pups just seem too "thin" for me if you can catch my drift. They seem to have the twang part down, but there is just no "color" to them. In fact, the single coil pups in my cheap little Squire Strat sound much better.
So, I decided to change them out, and I was told that the Noiseless Fenders have very close to the same tone as a single coil. (and they aren't completely noiseless either, depending on installation and surrounding noisemaking stuff) ;)
This is the TB59 pickup that I am considering; http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/59_model_sh1_an/
My local Guitar Center didn't have one of course, but a store just a couple hundred miles away actually had one in stock and is shipping it to my local store so I can check it out.
Other than the pickups, I really love that inexpensive little Tele, Thanks Fender for making such a nice guitar available for us poor old grampa's out here! :)
And of course, thank you Martian for your ongoing advice!

I know exactly what you are talking about re colorless twang. Ironically, you are describing your OEM pickups' sonic properties but you are describing the VNs as well. And no, the "Noiseless" series aren't noiseless. They are only Fender's name for their stacked humbucker series. So, you'd be getting the same pickups back with a weaker output yet humbucking. Consequently, these would not satisfy your requirements.

Again, based on your aforementioned requirements, the Duncan TB-1 (the trembucker spaced 59) has a midrange dip in it. This would not be what you are looking for.

Believe it or not, an across the board DiMarzio combo would be perfect for you. For your neck position, I recommend the Area T Neck pickup:

www.dimarzio.com/pickups/tele/hum-canceling/area-t-neck

For your middle pickup, an Area 61:

www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canc ... at/area-61

For your bridge pickup, a Bluesbucker:

www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker

Make sure if you choose the Bluesbucker, you get it, "F spaced".

The above combo will get you, "bells", "balls" and everything in between.

FYI: "F Spaced" (the "F" stands for Fender) is Dimarzio's equivalent of Duncan's "Trembucker Spaced".

Of course, you're quite welcome!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Martian wrote:
I know exactly what you are talking about re colorless twang. Ironically, you are describing your OEM pickups' sonic properties but you are describing the VNs as well. And no, the "Noiseless" series aren't noiseless. They are only Fender's name for their stacked humbucker series. So, you'd be getting the same pickups back with a weaker output yet humbucking. Consequently, these would not satisfy your requirements.

snipped

Once again, I must thank you for your insight on this subject. Believe it or not, GC had all three pickups that you recommended, and they are on the way to me! I also ordered some replacement pots and orange drop caps, and Switchcraft 1/4" jack. Maybe the 5 way switch will be replaced at a later date. I also found an uncut/un-drilled brown tortoiseshell pick guard on fleabay to replace the standard black one. ( I have the Honeyburst finish guitar, should complement it quite well I think)
I'll have to post a pic here when I get done.

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Martian wrote:

snipped

Once again, I must thank you for your insight on this subject. Believe it or not, GC had all three pickups that you recommended, and they are on the way to me! I also ordered some replacement pots and orange drop caps, and Switchcraft 1/4" jack. Maybe the 5 way switch will be replaced at a later date. I also found an uncut/un-drilled brown tortoiseshell pick guard on fleabay to replace the standard black one. ( I have the Honeyburst finish guitar, should complement it quite well I think)
I'll have to post a pic here when I get done.

OUTSTANDING!!!

Definitely post some pix and as always, you're quite welcome!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:30 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I pre-ordered this Tele, though I got the charcoal version and I wrote it up (with pictures) a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63614

I agree with the sound of the pickups - okay for a beginner, for sure, but not enough balls for what I want to do with this guitar. Even the humbucker leaves a lot to be desired and a better humbucker would also help with the very weak coil tap.

Thanks to martian for his info - I will likely go the same route myself! I tend to lean toward S-D pickups, though I do have a FSR Tele with Dimarzio humbuckers. Sounds like a good project for some cold winter night - and those nights aren't far away. :?

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:33 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

CRGuitarMan wrote:
I pre-ordered this Tele, though I got the charcoal version and I wrote it up (with pictures) a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=63614

I agree with the sound of the pickups - okay for a beginner, for sure, but not enough balls for what I want to do with this guitar. Even the humbucker leaves a lot to be desired and a better humbucker would also help with the very weak coil tap.

Thanks to martian for his info - I will likely go the same route myself! I tend to lean toward S-D pickups, though I do have a FSR Tele with Dimarzio humbuckers. Sounds like a good project for some cold winter night - and those nights aren't far away. :?

Congrats and you're quite welcome!

For the record, I really have no preference in terms of a given pickup manufacturer. Surely, there are many excellent ones out there where collectively, they've pretty much got all sonic bases covered. It is rare that I'll even bother making a pickup myself unless it is for a really singular reason. I'll even go as far as saying I very well may be content with several different manufacturer's offerings in a similar vein but I go with whoever's product(s) for the specific application which has/have already been proven to me. It comes under the heading of, "Don't argue with success." Of course, the price, quality, appearance and availability are all major factors as well. Of course too, NO one manufacturer has a 'lock' on the entire spectrum as some are fantastic for certain given applications and conversely, they 'bite the big one' for others.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:20 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Turns out the Bluesbucker was back ordered from GC, and they couldn't tell me when it would be shipped so I ordered it from another source, and for $10 cheaper! While I'm waiting I decided to try something I've never done and order some vinyl fret markers. So, while I am still gathering parts for this project, the anticipation is killing me!

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Turns out the Bluesbucker was back ordered from GC, and they couldn't tell me when it would be shipped so I ordered it from another source, and for $10 cheaper! While I'm waiting I decided to try something I've never done and order some vinyl fret markers. So, while I am still gathering parts for this project, the anticipation is killing me!

I can empathize with your exasperation. Vinyl fret markers?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Martian wrote:

Yes, the reviews seem promising and it just looks fun!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150711838234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3394wt_802

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:10 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hooterville Mayor wrote:
Martian wrote:

Yes, the reviews seem promising and it just looks fun!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150711838234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3394wt_802

Looks like fun, enjoy!

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So I finally got my project done. I have only had about 20 minutes to actually play the guitar after replacing the pickups. I need to lower the bridge and neck pups some, boy howdy are those DiMarzio pups hot!
The Bluesbucker in split coil mode is kind of soft, so I don't think I can lower it too much.
All in all, I'm please with the results, thanks again Martian!
Here is a link to some pics;
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/Hooterville_Mayor/Fender%20Telecaster%20project/?action=view&current=50d3fc41.pbw

Go to page 1, 2  Next