It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Post subject: Re: Bring back 7.25"
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yammer wrote:
So, assuming thicker strings need to be bent less for the same pitch shift, how much less are we actually talking?

Probably no less.
I play slightly heavier strings than most (D'Addario EXL-115, 011" to 049"), and I haven't noticed any less bend required to raise the pitch a tone or more.
That said, I haven't measured it, nor am I going to.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fender Play November 2019
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yammer wrote:
Awesome thread, found completely by accident on Google. Well done!

It was stated here that heavier strings aren't any less likely to choke, but, as they are can be bent less for the same shift, this goes some way to working around the choke problem? Is this correct, or am I misunderstanding?

My Custom Shop Strat has a 7.25" neck, and I'm trying to get a low action without choking on Gilmour-style bends around the 10th-17th frets. (My action is currently about 4/64" on the last fret.)

So, assuming thicker strings need to be bent less for the same pitch shift, how much less are we actually talking?

Hi Yammer,

Like you, Yammer, I happened to log into the Lounge today after a long time away from this forum and by accident, saw your post to this old thread in which we argued many issues about a 7.25” neck, including the one that you inquire about.

I personally do not use capos and feeler gauges to set up the guitar.
Starting with the neck relatively straight, I drop the saddle height and test each string at each fret.
Normally, lowering your saddle will be limited by the G, B and A strings fretting out without bending at the top 4 frets.

Once you get them at the lowest possible action, without fretting out, tested without string bending, the other strings can be easily adjusted following the radius of the neck.
Each string should be tested at each fret acoustically, to assure that the strings do not fret out at any fret, without string bending.
You can then add a little relief if desired, to see if you and improve the action by adjusting the saddles again by trial and error.
But as you may know, the neck should be basically straight when sighting down the edges of the neck from the base of the guitar.

While I have not re-read this thread or remember all of the arguments made in this thread, my position is that on a guitar with a 7.25" radius neck, you should never use lighter than .010 strings.
Fender normally puts .010 strings on their 7.25" radius guitars and .009 strings on their 9.5” radius guitars.

The reason for the heavier string on the 7.25” radius guitars is obvious in my opinion; that being that .009 strings will bend further and tend to choke out if used on a 7.25" radius guitar.
If you are still choking out with .010 strings then go heavier, which will limit the degree to which the strings can be bent.

As long as you do not bend the B and high E strings (of any size), much beyond the center of the neck, a properly set up 7.25” guitar should not choke out.
Obviously, the lighter the strings, the more likely it is that the strings will bend too far and choke out.
I hope this helps.
.010 light strings work for me, but if you are choking out with 10s, go heavier until you stop choking out.
I do not believe that you have to have high action to avoid choking on a 7.25" radius neck.
I hope this might help.

Good luck.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I like the radius. In the process of finding a new guitar - wants are: maple neck, 7.25, anything but V profile.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

MickJagger wrote:
While I have not re-read this thread or remember all of the arguments made in this thread, my position is that on a guitar with a 7.25" radius neck, you should never use lighter than .010 strings.
Fender normally puts .010 strings on their 7.25" radius guitars and .009 strings on their 9.5” radius guitars.

The reason for the heavier string on the 7.25” radius guitars is obvious in my opinion; that being that .009 strings will bend further and tend to choke out if used on a 7.25" radius guitar.
If you are still choking out with .010 strings then go heavier, which will limit the degree to which the strings can be bent.

As long as you do not bend the B and high E strings (of any size), much beyond the center of the neck, a properly set up 7.25” guitar should not choke out.
Obviously, the lighter the strings, the more likely it is that the strings will bend too far and choke out.
I hope this helps.
.010 light strings work for me, but if you are choking out with 10s, go heavier until you stop choking out.
I do not believe that you have to have high action to avoid choking on a 7.25" radius neck.
I hope this might help.

Many thanks for your comments. Yes, it helps.

The build sheet for my strat states it was was indeed supplied with 10s. I bought it second-hand with 9s. I tried 9.5s for a while, and settled on 10s a few weeks ago.

I have toyed with blocking and decking, as I don't use the trem much (my old guitar never had one). The logic behind this was that, not only was I struggling with keeping it in tune, but the springs give way when bending strings (usually more than one string at once, if you bend them far enough) and reduce the overall tension, meaning that you have to bend the strings even more to reach the same pitch — increasing the likelihood of choke.

This has been a successful move. I'm not totally happy about losing the trem, as it would be nice to have it occasionally. It lost some of its tonal character when blocked, so I tried decking instead, and it seems much better. Meanwhile, I've discovered the pencil lead trick when restringing, which has helped with residual tuning issues. So I'm tempted to have another go at floating the trem, maybe with more springs (it came with 3 fitted).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10