It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Performer Neck Swap
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Is anyone interested in doing a neck swap on a new performer. I really want the the SS telecaster with a maple neck but don’t want the rosewood fretboard. Anyone interested in doing a purchase and then swapping?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Fender Performer Neck Swap
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Probably better to spend the money on a new neck.
It'll cost you nearly as much as a MiM Player, but it's likely the only thing you're going to find workable.
The problem is, the serial number is on the neck, so in doing a neck swap, you're basically asking someone else to turn their $1100 guitar into a $500 Partscaster since the serial number will no longer match the body description (and they've likely already registered their warranty under the serial number they have)

If you buy a new neck, you can keep your original and put it back on the body if you ever decide to sell it and you'll get full value with the correct parts and numbers.

Also, this post is treading uncomfortably close to the forum restrictions against buy/sell/trade.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:19 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Sjkeen wrote:
Is anyone interested in doing a neck swap on a new performer. I really want the the SS telecaster with a maple neck but don’t want the rosewood fretboard. Anyone interested in doing a purchase and then swapping?

I have been on a run of Teles with rosewood fretboards the past seven years (2011 Lite Rosewood, 2012 American Standard and 2016 Surf Green Rosewood Neck) that I wanted a maple 'board on my next Telecaster. I also wanted tones I didn't have so the Vintage White American Performer Hum/Maple was a perfect fit.

It's too bad there aren't more choices and options but perhaps that will change during the American Performer's run and there will be special runs.

John

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

There's always "The Stratosphere" on eBay if the need for the change becomes greater than the need for economic feasibility.

They didn't eat their meat.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sjkeen wrote:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

Don't leave home without it!

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:16 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Guys,

I’m surprised that there isn’t anyone who is interested in the neck swap. I’ve seen the blonde Tele but I was hoping to get the blue one and then swap the Rosewood fingerboard.

Stratosphere is very interesting. I suppose that I could get one there and then put the Rosewood neck on eBay..

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:18 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sjkeen wrote:
I’m surprised that there isn’t anyone who is interested in the neck swap.

CB91710 wrote:
you're basically asking someone else to turn their $1100 guitar into a $500 Partscaster

Adding to CB's comment, the swap wouldn't be between friends/relatives/band members (etc.) but between web strangers. To me, the lack of candidates is no surprise. :wink:

But there are literally thousands of maple fretboard Tele necks for sale, if you don't limit yourself to unused ones.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

jmattis wrote:
Sjkeen wrote:
I’m surprised that there isn’t anyone who is interested in the neck swap.

CB91710 wrote:
you're basically asking someone else to turn their $1100 guitar into a $500 Partscaster

Adding to CB's comment, the swap wouldn't be between friends/relatives/band members (etc.) but between web strangers. To me, the lack of candidates is no surprise.

But there are literally thousands of maple fretboard Tele necks for sale, if you don't limit yourself to unused ones.

Or straight from Fender:
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/nec ... 02921.html
That retains the Jumbo frets of the Performer, but I'd be torn between that, or an extra $70 to get the bi-flex truss rod of the American Pro neck.