It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Telecaster 52 Re-issue with no Serial number on bridge plate
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:19 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello everyone,

I'm completely new here and am seeking some advice regarding my Tele. Hope someone can help me.
A few months ago I bought a 1997 Telecaster 52' reissue from a guy on Ebay. I'm a professional guitarist / musician and have been playing over 24 years now however I am no expert when it comes to identifying genuine or fake guitars. I guess I just judge an instrument by how it feels sounds...
Anyway, I went to the guy's house and spent almost 3 hours there playing it and also tried other guitars he owned which some were for sale.
Although the Tele felt like it needs a setup it had a fantastic tone and I could feel the quality of the instrument. I did check it all over and looked out for suspicious signs.
I decided to buy it in the end and to be honest I'm very happy with it so far.
I am however a bit concerned that there's no serial number on the bridge plate. The bridge looks a bit old and it says "Fender Pat. Pend".
I got an original tweed hard case with it and an extra bridge with 6 saddles that also looks fairly old (it only says "Fender" on it), also extra three saddles and the ashtray bridge cover.
I took the neck off and both neck and body have quite a few factory stamps with names and the year 97 stamped on it too. It does overall look genuine and all the accessories are included (I think).
Does anyone have any idea why my guitar has no serial number?
Could it be that someone swapped the original bridges with other Fender factory bridges (hence there's no serial no.) I'm just guessing...
Again, the guitar sounds and feels like a real good quality made in USA guitar and if it wasn't for the serial no. missing I wouldn't even think about asking anyone.

Apologies for the very long post... I'd very much appreciate any feedback though.

Best,

Lior

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: Telecaster 52 Re-issue with no Serial number on bridge p
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Post picture of everything you see on neck pocket, bridge and peghead.
Without seeing the guitar how can we help you ?

I have a 52 RI Telecaster buy close to '97 area. I' not at home so I coud'nt check

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It's certainly possible the original bridge was replaced.

But it's very suspicious that the original bridge wasn't included with the guitar, especially since he included other bridges and saddles.

Could be a partscaster assembled from genuine Fender parts. Could be a partscaster assembled from quality non-Fender parts, with a fake decal on the neck.

Could be a stolen guitar, and someone replaced the bridge just so the guitar couldn't be traced.

Even if it's legit, you'll have a hard time selling it (if you ever want to).
----------------
It wouldn't hurt to contact the seller. In a non-confrontational way mention that neither of the bridges he gave you have the serial number, and ask if he perhaps has the original somewhere and forgot to include it.

You might get lucky. Maybe he just got confused and gave you the wrong spare bridge.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi and thanks for responding !
I decided to take the guitar to a tech to have a look at (and service in case it is all good). He confirmed it is all original except the bridge which was probably swapped for a 6 saddle one and then chucked away... so the current bridge is a Fender bridge but not the original. otherwise all genuine.
I will contact the seller to check if there's anyway of getting hold of the original bridge.
The guitar tech did say though that he sees a lot of Teles with the same problem and it's usually the case that someone took off the original bridge back in the 90's and replaced it with the 6 saddle one that was supplied with the guitar (which is included and is quite rusty so def been used) and then lost it...
Other than that the guitar is absolutely fantastic and plays and sounds incredible so not planning to sell but yeah i can understand how that could be a bit of an issue...

Many thanks again for taking your time to respond to my post.
All the best :)

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If i look more carefully your first post and see your Tele have 6 saddles bridge, I say it is not original bridge that is why no serial number on it :oops: