It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Treble Boosters
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Anyone else using a treble booster? I just got an HBE Germania and I love it! Makes my Strat just smolder through a tube amp!

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Treble Boosters
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I use a range master treble boost, not often though, and only on my humbuckered guitars. I use a Timmy as my main clean boost. And played a Xotic effects EP bpost (echo plex's preamp based boost, sounds like heaven. I like JFet base boost myself.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:55 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I also tried this Brian May treble boost, that sounded amazing. The only thing that keeps me from getting one for myself is the inabillity to turn in off, you put in your chain, and it stays on, no on/off switch

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:06 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

windwalker9649 wrote:
I use a range master treble boost, not often though, and only on my humbuckered guitars. I use a Timmy as my main clean boost. And played a Xotic effects EP bpost (echo plex's preamp based boost, sounds like heaven. I like JFet base boost myself.

I read that the timmy and tim have different types of boost? Is one a volume and one a gain? If so, What is the difference between to two types of boost if you know?

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:48 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Deluxe Matt wrote:
windwalker9649 wrote:

I read that the timmy and tim have different types of boost? Is one a volume and one a gain? If so, What is the difference between to two types of boost if you know?

Matter of fact, I do. I have a Timmy and a Tim. The end of my board goes Timmy>Zendrive>Tim

A Timmy is a clean boost/transparent overdrive. There is a switch that lets you select the type of clipping you get. Basically it works like this;

You got a Timmy, it's an overdrive, thats VERY transparent (think OCD, but the older better versions, without the treble increase). Its the size of a regular stompbox, with one foot switch, 4 knobs. Got it?

Now the Tim, has two footswitches; its about 1 2/3 the size of the Timmy. On the left side, is basically a Timmy, on the right is an additional "Gain' boost, not a volume boost, but a gain boost. It also has a built in effects loop, like the old Marshall Guv'nors. I have a true bypass floor looper that i have a dd-2, ce-2, and an optical compressor i have plugged into the Tims loop, and i have a regular CA3080 type compressor at the beginning of my chain, and the chorus at the end of my chain that goes into the input of the amp, and a couple delays in my amps effects loop ( i use my flange and chorus to actually drive the front of my amp). The Tims loop allows you to put in an effect that you want to work in conjunction with the Tim, but even buffered bypass pedals are out of the chain unless you turn on the tim, but that's besides the point.
So the Tim, is a Timmy, with the extra benefit of a gain boost you can kick on.

The Timmy's gain knob actually has more gain available than the Tim has with its gain knob. Cochrane did this on purpous so if you bought just the Timmy, you'd have some extra gain to work with, So; Timmy has a little more gain available with its regular gain knob. BUT; with the extra BOOST function on the Tim, there is more TOTAL gain available.

Basically, IMO, the Timmy is the pedal the OCD wishes it was. I had an OCD for only a few weeks, I didnt like it at all. To be fair, the last OCD I had was the V4, the earlier versions I liked much better.
The OCD is a very transparent OD, but, I found that it added unwanted treble.
I think as for transparent od's, Ive yet to find one better, and ive tried most out there, including the Luther Drive, and several other boutique. Though as a stand alone overdrive pedal; the Zendrive is my absolute favorite. I LOVE the tone it has.

I actally ordered another Timmy and Tim, one Im going to give to my girlfriend, the other have as a backup, because if for some reason one goes, I dont want to have to buy one used, because they get much more expensive used than new.

Anyone looking for a great transparent OD should get a Timmy. They're relatively really cheap. $129; Delivered. Not 129 + tax + shipping. 129 delivered, no matter where in the country you have to have it shipped to. The Tim is 159 or 169.

The only problem with them,is the same problem as the Zendrive; the WAIT. The last two I ordered in June, and i have an expected delivery date of sometime in OCT.

The nice thing though, besides Paul Cochrane being one of the nicest guys in the business, very humble (unlike the guy who makes the easier to get transparent OD), and when you call him, he doesnt require any deposite, just your name, what you want, and how to contact you when its done.

The thing about the Timmy, as well as the Zendrive (and i find this to be the case on most of the really great overdrives, including the original Guv'nor, one of the most underrated and appriciated ods out there) is when you open it up, the circuitry is shockinly simple. I mean the zendrive literally has an op amp, and a total of 7 or 8 caps/resistors. I build pedals, and mod them myself, and try to stick to this formula.

The original V1 Fat Boost was my favorite (pre lawsuit version, Fulltone call 2 different pedals the V1 F Boost, but the real original was built between 2001-2004, and the small knob is a INPUT GAIN knob, whereas the second V1, the little one is tone, and the gain is the larger knob next to the output knob.

This answer your question?

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Very much so, thanks. I really like the idea of transparent effects. I pay very close attention to the acoustics of my guitars and need to hear that tone being preserved in the signal, as small a detail as that might seem.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:18 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've also heard some very good things about the Keeley Java Boost. Although I don't own one myself, I've come close a couple of times to pulling the trigger on this one. Maybe worth checking out. I have two other Keeley pedals (compressor and BD-2) and am very pleased with them.

I do, however, have some serious cravings for the Zendrive, and you're not helping any Windwalker9649 :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:15 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have a feeling "transparent" overdrives will wax and wane. I still like using a Tube Screamer from time to time, especially with single coils. You look on forums, and everyone decrys the mid-hump in the EQ, but 10-20 years ago, all everyone wanted was mids.
In 5 years, mark my words, the way people drool over transarent OD's will be how they look at tube screamers again.

And yes, the Zendrive is worth it.