It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Smith era Strats
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:14 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Anybody else have a Smith strat? Mine's an 82' serial e213655 in a Cherry burst. This git is heavier, has a deeper belly contour, awesome bridge pup and the resonance is thick and deep. Love to hear from others...

Also have an early 70's natural, 64 RI, (2) newer H.S.S oh yeah and a John Mayer.

Fender Play February 2018
Post subject: Re: Smith era Strats
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:31 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

There were 2 different variations of the Smith Strat, one was a regular Stratocaster with the stock recessed jack plate and the small headstock with the CBS black logo, the other was the so-called "bare-bones" Standard (pictured) with a freeflyte bridge and a top-mount jack in the place of the 2nd tone knob. Both guitars sported the infamous X-1 bridge pickup which was introduced in 1980.

Shortly after the USA-made Dan Smith models were taken out of production, Fender Japan produced a 22-fret version of the bare-bones Standard which lasted until 1986.

Your guitar looks exactly like this one:

Please note that your axe is a Sienna Sunburst model, not Cherry Sunburst. Fender didn't produced Cherry Sunburst Strats until 1991.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I don't have one but one of my regrets along the way was not picking up a "Smith" Strat back in 1982; I have a Lead II so I loved the sound of that bridge pickup (both pickups on the Lead II are X-1 pickups).

Chromeface - here in the USA most Strat fans are trying to only call the 1982 models as "Smith Strats" to differentiated them from the 2-knob "Standard Strat" model - even though both were designed (more or less) by Dan Smith and both were called the "Standard Stratocaster" by Fender. I say "more or less" because of course Smith just brought back some traditional features to the 1982 Strat but he did the complete redesign for the 1983/84 2-knob models.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:59 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

John, I've seen the 22-fret Elites on a couple of websites, but not the Standards. I know that these guitars were made by Fender Japan between late 1983 and 1986, but unfortunately I was unable to find a picture of the 22-fret bare-bones Strat. Do you've seen at least one, perhaps?

The Smith Strat in its various forms served as a template for the first-generation American Standard, introduced in 1986/87.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 am
Amateur
Amateur

Chromeface, I hate to disagree with you but I have an 81 strat in cherry sunburst. It is redder than any sienna sunburst I've ever seen. I still have all the paperwork from when I bought it and that all says cherry sunburst too. According to the book "The Stratocaster" by A.R. Duchossior from 80 to 84 the color code for cherry sunburst was 530 and sienna sunburst was 531. I have 3 cherry sunburst guitars and the strat has the brightest red of all of them.
Happy Holidays to all,
filerj

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:16 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

chromeface wrote:
John, I've seen the 22-fret Elites on a couple of websites, but not the Standards. I know that these guitars were made by Fender Japan between late 1983 and 1986, but unfortunately I was unable to find a picture of the 22-fret bare-bones Strat. Do you've seen at least one, perhaps?

The Smith Strat in its various forms served as a template for the first-generation American Standard, introduced in 1986/87.

Chromeface - no, I've never seen a 22-fret 2-knob "Standard Strat"; I've only seen the USA ones with 21 frets. I think that maybe some of the MIJ bare-bones Strats had 22 frets sometime in the late 1980s, but I could also be confusing the bare-bones with the "Contemporary Standard" that had 22 frets and some type of roller-saddle trem (first the System 1 then a Kahler fulcrum model) or a locking trem (first a Kahler Spyder then a Floyd Rose). In fact, since they never were imported to the USA I had never seen the 22-fret Elites until I saw the photos after I started reading this board last year.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:51 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well, I think I've got one, but I'll let you experts decide. (I'd never heard of Smith-era Strats until I stumbled across this thread.) I picked up mine new from Veneman's Music in July '83 (off layaway!). I've always found the pickups hotter and the contouring more severe than other Strats I've owned and played. S/N is E215677. Thoughts?

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

blisters - very nice '82 Strat. That's what I would call a "Smith Strat" - a 1982 with the small headstock (but the decal like the big headstock models), 4-bolt neck, and a hot bridge pickup.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

SOLID!

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm assuming my Smith is a Sienna Sunburst?
Also, is there a guide that values these guitars?
Lastly, would a refretting affect the value?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Someone said Fender didn't make Cherryburst Stratocasters until 1991. I have a 1980 or 1981 Cherryburst Stratocaster that was a standard issue but with the infamous X-1 pickup that died on me in 1989. Trust me it is not Sienna burst. I have photos but can't find a way to post them directly.