It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Best/Worst years for MIM Strat???
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Strat people!!! I just joined the forum, and I need some info:
What would you say are the best, and worst years for production of the MIM Strats?? And why??

What years should I look for, -- which ones should I stay away from, if possible??

I´m looking to purchase a MIM Strat HSS soon, -- and I want advice.

Help!!!

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Last few years have had a really good reputation. Even in the earlier years that get some disrespect there were always some real prizes. An example is the Jimmy Vaughan series, been great since it started.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I own only one MIM strat, the classic player 60 from 2007. Good custom shop 69 pups, good sound and good value for money.

I am really happy with her.

cheers :D

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Hey There Newbe Strathead-

I have a 2000 MiM and it is fantastic- I hear from others who have played my beloved # 1 that it is a very sweet instrument. If you learn how to do your own set-up you will keep it in tip top shape and save a bundle of cash.

Now Go Forth and Rock !

The Freeze

2000 MIM Stratocaster, Midnight Wine W/Texas Specials
2000 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
1969 Fender Vibro Champ

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:59 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Welcome to the Forum.

Everyone's perception of what is good or bad is different. I usually go by what guitar is good to me as even the same model made on the same day can have subtle differences.

Authorized TonePros Dealer
Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester http://faamps.com/

http://www.facebook.com/cafeathers

I didn't Lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

There are no bad years. However, in 2006 Fender introduced the infamous upgrades for the MIM Standard: fully shielded cavity, med-jumbo frets, larger tremblock, and a gig bag. So, getting an '06+ would be slightly preferred because of that. But even if you get an older one, you can get an '06+ tremblock very cheaply to put in it, and the shielding can similarly also be done easily and cheaply. So, like I said previously ... there really are no bad years. My '04 is amazing.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Oh, -- I guess I should haver mentioned a few things:

I live in Mexico currently, where there are not a lot of purchase options, so I´m going the EBay route....
I don´t have the luxury of trying out various guitars, until I find the perfect fit, ---- I have to take a chance, and hope for the best!!!

Price is also a factor, (I guess that´s why I´m looking at a MIM Standard as opposed to Deluxe or something...)
´
But I´ve heard, for instance, -- that late 90´s models had higher output pickups?? Or better wood??? Maybe the newer ones, with a thinner finish make a difference???

I don´t know, -- construction differences, -- anything????

One thing I DO KNOW, -- is that I SHALL go forth!!!

MIM, Baby!!!!

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:05 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

I love my '04. I changed the pickups, but that was really the only major change that I thought it needed. Good solid guitar in everything else.

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beckslaird

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

OK I'm a snotty MIA guy but I've played the new 09 MIMs and they're really good. Of course the price went up about $60.00 US but they have made some improvements. The neck now sports the handrolled frets and edges. They tinted the neck but it is not a thick laquer more of a satin feel. They handle nicely but could still use some improvement in the PUP department. Buy new if you can afford it... You won't be sorry...

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Best would be 2009 , I recently bought a very basic standard MIM strat, I expected a few modifications before I bought it but when it arrived I played it a lot and actually found no problems with it , not even the pickups I actually am liking them ... I didnt expect them to be quiet or sound good at all but I was mistaken.... :)

Post subject: Re: Best/Worst years for MIM Strat???
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Mateo123 wrote:
Hey Strat people!!! I just joined the forum, and I need some info:
What would you say are the best, and worst years for production of the MIM Strats?? And why??

What years should I look for, -- which ones should I stay away from, if possible??

I´m looking to purchase a MIM Strat HSS soon, -- and I want advice.

Help!!!

I think in the last few years,the Mexican Strats have gone from great to amazing!The playability and tone has always been great on them but I noticed that in the last few years more attention has been payed to visual details such as smoother ,more vintage like contouring of the body.Earlier ones seemed more rushed and squared looking.The latest ones resemble the classic outline which looks sexier and is more comfortable.The classic reissues are now more accurate looking than ever.The basic standard series really has come around with it's smoother contours and tinted neck.If you find one that you connect with...go for it!Only you can decide which guitar excites you most.Good luck.

Post subject: Best/Worst years for MIM Strat???
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Mateo:

I purchased a new 2007 MIM Deluxe Fat Strat (arctic white) about 1 year ago.

I purchased it after playing nearly 50 guitars in the 'up to $1,000' price range. The Strat blew all of the other guitars out of the water (several of which cost much more - including 2 MIA Strats).

I am frankly still amazed at how good of a guitar it is (at any price).

The workmanship is outstanding, the action and electronics are great, and I simply can not believe how well it stays in tune (even when the whammy bar has been given a good work-out!). Most importantly, it sounds beautiful and full unplugged (this has always been an important guitar quality test for me).

Finally, several folks who have seen it, (and who have heard it) have thought that it was a vintage Strat from the 1970s.

Based on my experience, I've have to say that the MIM Strats just keep getting better...The newer the better!

-Ed

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have a '02 MIM 50's, and i know everyone says how good thiers is, but this thing is really spectacular. the neck and body both look like very select pieces. Flamed neck with a golden amber and alder thats got tons of awesome grains. the neck is literally perfect with an action to die for. It honestly does look and feel like a custom shop strat. Sonically i cant say never having a CS strat, but once it had a few years to open up it sounds gorgeous. Just an amazing strat that should have cost much more. So i don't think any years were bad, i think it's a matter of finding a exceptional specimen. Even in the higher end MIA fenders i see a ton of variation. I have seen MIA reissues that had body joints where the grain was so mismatched it was shocking they'd let that go on a MIA higher end piece. I think you have to get to the CS stuff before that doesn't happen. But you can find some fantastic MIM pieces. Just remember one thing...the MIM reissues, the 50's 60's 70's and possibly the classic players are made in the USA and basically the necks and bodies are the same used for the USA RI's. They are shipped to mexico for paint and assembly. But the wood itself is right from the USA stock. In fact, i don't even think they select the best pieces for the MIA's because like mine i have seen many far nicer MIM reissues than many MIA ones. anyways, the point i was trying to get at is that the MIM reissue types are necks and bodies of USA stock with the bodies as low as 3 pieces. But the MIM standards and such, thier bodies are fully made in mexico from cheaper alder and are 5 piece or more. i think i saw 5 to 7 piece mentioned in an article.

So when you ask about mim quality, the year is infinitely less important than which model.

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:57 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

I have a 2007 mim hss strat and it is a great guitar. 8)

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I have an `03 with a pick up change. Good guitar and no problems.

Go to page 1, 2  Next