It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: MIM Strat vs Squier Affinity, Squire wins?
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:05 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This is probably going to sound silly but I like the Squier Affinity I have vs a MIM that I bought online. The tone on the MIM doesn't sound great on the bridge or neck pickup and I'm not sure why that is. It's just lacking something.

Currently it also doesn't play as nice either and feels scratchy when bending. I ordered some 0000 wool online to try and polish the frets. But cosmetically, the fret ends don't seem to be any different, the tuners are different but don't seem to be any better on the MIM. The Affinity does have it's problems, though. Like the frets are worn (as this forum told me. I didn't notice) and the vibrato bar springs are noisy.

Without knowing when the Affinity was made (it has no serial number), what could be the difference with the pickups?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: MIM Strat vs Squier Affinity, Squire wins?
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

LeeR wrote:
This is probably going to sound silly but I like the Squier Affinity I have vs a MIM that I bought online...

There are many issues associated with buying on line. The guitar may not have received a set up over and above that which it left the factory. The guitar will probably benefit from a proper set up.

Are the PUP's at the correct height?

When did you change the strings?

As for the likes of tuners, the Squiers are probably fine now but maybe wont be so good in 20 years. Tuners are a very personal thing which is why you can pay £10 for a set or £100. Both will stretch a string.

You say the Squier has no Serial No which might mean the previous owner has done more to it rather than just play it straight out of the box.

All that said there are good Squiers and bad MiMs.

After all this time I should be better.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

John Sims wrote:
LeeR wrote:
This is probably going to sound silly but I like the Squier Affinity I have vs a MIM that I bought online...

There are many issues associated with buying on line. The guitar may not have received a set up over and above that which it left the factory. The guitar will probably benefit from a proper set up.

Are the PUP's at the correct height?

When did you change the strings?

As for the likes of tuners, the Squiers are probably fine now but maybe wont be so good in 20 years. Tuners are a very personal thing which is why you can pay £10 for a set or £100. Both will stretch a string.

You say the Squier has no Serial No which might mean the previous owner has done more to it rather than just play it straight out of the box.

All that said there are good Squiers and bad MiMs.

100% right.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I didn't notice I had a reply. Thanks for your input.

Right, the reason the Affinity doesn't have a serial is because it was modified but apparently only painted and pickguard changed. I've changed the strings on the MIM, played with the pickup height, polished the frets, it's still got quite a bland tone and the scratchyness remains when bending. I at least narrowed that down to the fingerboard itself (tried by taking a string off and bending it between the frets, not touching ant fret) and it's the wood.. Even though it looks and feels smooth. No tiny grooves.

Just can't get this thing to sound pleasing or as twangy as I like. Guess I'll just look for another Affinity or something similar.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

LeeR wrote:
....I at least narrowed that down to the fingerboard itself (tried by taking a string off and bending it between the frets, not touching ant fret) and it's the wood.. Even though it looks and feels smooth. No tiny grooves...

Except that's not really how it works. When bending, while your finger might touch the fretboard the string shouldn't. I have several rosewood board necks that have fairly pronounced grain but this doesn't impact on bending.

If the string was touching the fretboard it would destroy the lacquer on maple board guitars and yet my previous Nº 1 of 20+ years has its frets worn to the point of being almost unplayable and yet the lacquer where I bend is fine. The very edge of the fretboard is less than perfect in a few places but the board itself is fine.

There are many aspects which make up the tone and feel of a guitar. While you have obviously decided this MiM doesn't suit you, don't think that all others will be the same. Similarly, it is highly unlikely that another Squier will be exactly that same as yours. People can search for years for their perfect guitar and some may never find it. I am lucky to have several guitars, none of them are perfect but I still like each of them in their own way. I also have guitars I don't like; so it happens.

After all this time I should be better.