It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Can I turn a regular strat into an ed o'brienish strat?
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:07 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a MIM 70s edition strat and I am also a huge radiohead and ed o'brien fan. My guitar looks just like his special edition strat and I was wondering, is it at all possible to add the type of sustain circuit in those guitars to my own ? I've read that those guitars have a battery which I would not want to have so I'm just curious if I could somehow add a switch onto my guitar that would allow a sustain circuit to be activated. It doesn't have to be the exact type as on those EOB guitars but I would love to have the ability to increase my sustain via a switch like that. Also how much would this kind of work cost typically speaking if it were in fact possible?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Can I turn a regular strat into an ed o'brienish strat?
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

You need a battery to power up any active electronics in a guitar - the 7709872000 "SUSTAINER KIT FERNANDES ED O'BRIEN" included.

Money wise, if the job is done by a (good) pro, I think you'd be better off selling your current guitar and buying the EOB Sustainer model.

Here's the latest service diagram, maybe you get some pointers on what the changes would require:
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... _Rev_C.pdf