It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: American Special, or not?
Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,
I'm new around here, and have been looking at various options of Fender American strats, in local stores, Reverb, Gumtree, eBay etc.
One on eBay that looked interesting has the serial US13022049 which comes back as an American Special Stratocaster® in candy apple, with a maple neck. However, the guitar in the ad has a "small" headstock, whereas the Fender literature etc. shows the Special with a large head. (The guitar also has locking tuners and a tone pot switch added) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-Stratocaster-American-with-hard-case/153779402380?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Does this look legit, given the headstock anomaly?
Cheers

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: American Special, or not?
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:30 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I originally posted this about a week ago, but it's taken until now to be approved for publication. Since been posted, and answered, on Strat-Talk:
https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/amer ... st-3766081

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

DouglasC wrote:
I originally posted this about a week ago, but it's taken until now to be approved for publication. Since been posted, and answered, on Strat-Talk:
https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/amer ... st-3766081

You do wonder if Fender really want the hassle of their own forum. We have a similar consideration with our car club web site which, as an official club, is affiliated to the manufacturer. Our view (I'm one of the car club admins) is it is better to hear what people are saying, good or bad, rather than have them say stuff on another site.

Still, yet again, a potential new member of our happy band has found somewhere else where they no doubt feel more welcome.

This whole delay nonsense is a pain in the bum for everyone, longstanding members included. You revisit the forum for some interesting new posts and, day after day, there is nothing and then we are overwhelmed with a whole raft of new stuff.

Dear Fender either do the forum or don't bother. This current arrangement doesn't do you justice.

After all this time I should be better.

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

John Sims wrote:
Dear Fender either do the forum or don't bother. This current arrangement doesn't do you justice.

I'll second that motion.
And while at it, make posting pics easier. 8)

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:24 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Another Fender marketing department failure.
Brad does a great job with the resources available to him, but Fender obviously doesn't see the value in making the forum a full-time job for someone... and legally can't assign an employee to spend their leisure hours working on a forum.
I understand the delay in new users... but spammers still get through, and when they do, it can take another week (usually less) before they are dealt with... one problem though, is when they are deleted, their entire threads are not deleted so we often end up with threads with no OP, but one or two responses.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

CB91710 wrote:
Another Fender marketing department failure.
Brad does a great job with the resources available to him, but Fender obviously doesn't see the value in making the forum a full-time job for someone... and legally can't assign an employee to spend their leisure hours working on a forum...

It would need to be a ridiculously vibrant forum to require someone to be monitoring it full time, although there are companies which will offer forum hosting and admin if that were considered a thing.

I further appreciate that I only frequent a small area of the forum but still wouldn't think the forum, as stands currently, would not require more than 15 minutes a day to review.

After all this time I should be better.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:56 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John Sims wrote:
It would need to be a ridiculously vibrant forum to require someone to be monitoring it full time, although there are companies which will offer forum hosting and admin if that were considered a thing.

I further appreciate that I only frequent a small area of the forum but still wouldn't think the forum, as stands currently, would not require more than 15 minutes a day to review.

Which makes it even more of a marketing department fail.
I agree... so long as Fender does not provide technical support to the forum, just validating new users, and cleaning up spammers might occupy only a few hours a week.

iDatalink, the company that makes and supports the MaestroRR and other automotive stereo interface/integration units is VERY active on their support forum... often answering within an hour or two.
OTOH, that forum is slow enough that they could probably configure a push alert for every new post.

But it is a shame, and IMHO, a disservice to Fender customers. They come to the forum expecting support from Fender employees, and offering advice on product improvements and new products... they're preaching to the choir on many issues, but not to Fender.