It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender EC Blackie Owner Reviews
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:17 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I’ve been looking hard at the Fender EC Blackie artist Series. My local shop has one and I’m strongly considering trading in my 2003 American Deluxe and an amp I have for it. Any people on here own it and love it? I noticed while playing it that bending was a bit tough but I think that’s something I could get used to. After watching some videos I saw that there is a battery that powers the boost. Not sure how I feel about that but the sound and tones are killer. Just looking for a couple good reviews to further persuade me. They also have a PRS Silver sky with some heavy scratching from a belt buckle on the back. So I’m torn between the two.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Fender EC Blackie Owner Reviews
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:52 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I bought an American Deluxe in preference to an EC strat.
The preamp and the sound of the EC sig was great, but I didn't get on with the neck (funnily enough I dislike the neck on the Martin EC signature too).

The neck on the Silver Sky feels great in the hand (it is shaped after a couple of strats from '63 and '64 that John Mayer owns), and the guitar sounds and plays superbly well.
Tim Pierce did a comparison with a vintage strat and a Silver Sky.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:34 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just bought my EC Blackie last week
Did not get it for name but rather the feel of the neck and incredible range of sounds you can get from pickup combinations
LOVE IT

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for your input. I’m going to play them both again today. I loved the tone versatility that Blackie had. The neck was definitely something different but still felt good. Seems I’m leaning towards blackie. I won’t know for sure until I play the guitar out my amp.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:49 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So bought Blackie today. Set up by my local shop who has set up numerous guitars for me perfectly including other strays. Is it just me or is this guitar pretty buzzy. Set up with 10s like my other strays have been. Just getting a lot of buzz out of it. Heard other people mention it’s hard to get the buzz completely gone with vintage frets. Any other have this happening?

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Find a new shop......those clowns are clueless.

Any competent luthier can properly set up a Strat with vintage frets.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:59 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I’ll take it somewhere else after breaking it in awhile and have a new set up done. Here’s another question.. is it possible to change the pick guard on the blackie to a different one. I hate the look of the one piece.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:23 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Jruwaldt10 wrote:
I’ll take it somewhere else after breaking it in awhile and have a new set up done. Here’s another question.. is it possible to change the pick guard on the blackie to a different one. I hate the look of the one piece.

https://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:19 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Okay. So any 8 hole pickguard will fit it? I thought I saw that something was different with the EC pickguard than other 8 hole starts? I’m not a fan of the warpy one play pickguard. I might make blackie..blackerr. With a 3 ply black pickguard and black knobs.

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Jruwaldt10 wrote:

You can really learn a lot about a strat and its idiosycrasies by doing your own setup, and I really enjoyed working my way through Gerry Hayes "Sketchy Setups #1: The Fender Stratocaster". The PDF doc only costs $5 from Haze Guitars. And since you're intending to get another pro setup done, what have you got to lose if you don't get it just right? Nothing that a pro can't fix. But you may like your own results. I'm very happy with the way mine turned out. I had already replaced the loaded pickguard and completely disassembled the bridge to replace the tremolo block, so I thought, "How hard can a setup be?" I particularly liked Gerry Hayes' method of setting up the Strat bridge, and that fixed my Strat's tendency to go out of tune. And I didn't buy any special tools to do it - I already had a finely-graduated ruler and with some small screwdrivers and pliers and the allen wrenches that come with the guitar, that was enough. On the other hand, I didn't do anything to the nut - that might have been over my head.