It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bridge Question and 'Ashtray' Compatibility
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello all,
I am trying to add an 'ashtray' bridge cover to my 2012 (MIJ) Pawn Shop Mustang. I understand this is the Strat forum but hear me out...

My guitar comes with a 'hardtail classic/standard' bridge: P/N 0060068000

The (only) cover that Fender makes is a 'vintage stratocaster' bridge cover: P/N 0992270100
...and even Fender doesn't seem to be sure of its capability, only stating it fits 'most' strats.

I ordered the part and low and behold, it does not fit. Even after some serious bending, it is just not happening. The cover is designed for a different bridge.

I was considering the 'USA American Standard Hardtail': P/N 0032909049, but I just discovered that the cover will not fit on this bridge either. Bummer.

MY QUESTION: Does anyone know of a hardtail bridge (vintage or new) that is compatible with the cover and have the (three large) mount holes in the same location? I assume those three holes are always in the same place, correct?

...I believe that this 'American Vintage Strat' reissue will fit both the plate and guitar: P/N 0019470000, ...but it is the tremolo/vibrato version, so it will have a number holes not doing anything. But I might just have to live with that.

Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Bridge Question and 'Ashtray' Compatibility
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:03 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The vintage-spec Strat ashtray will only fit these two bridges......

TREMOLO BRIDGE KIT, CHROME – P/N 0992049000

HARDTAIL BRIDGE KIT, CHROME – P/N 0060068000

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:25 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

For product recommendations, I too have nada.
Most likely there isn't one, because bridge covers in general are not in big demand. One seldom sees a Tele with an ashtray, and an ashtray Strat is a unicorn.

Could you use the Jag/JM/Mustang, bar type cover? https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-us ... 054465049/

And yes, this is the Strat section, so it isn't your lucky day... 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
The vintage-spec Strat ashtray will only fit these two bridges......

TREMOLO BRIDGE KIT, CHROME – P/N 0992049000

HARDTAIL BRIDGE KIT, CHROME – P/N 0060068000

Arjay

Sorry, but that is not true. At least in the case of the hardtail bridge (006006800). As I mentioned in my original post, that is what came on my guitar from the factory.

The cover is intended to 'snap' onto the rear lip of the bridge. Mine is easily 3/16" too wide, and due to how the part is stamped - it is impossible to bend the cover enough to make up the difference. And if you still managed to bend it, you would end up destroying the chrome plating in the process.

I am really surprised that Fender isn't more clear on what this thing is compatible with.

Thanks for the replies so far, but no solution yet unfortunately.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:33 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Sorry but you have a mexi / japanese classic bridge.
Never seen a fender one that will fit. The demand often dictates the supply.... :D

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:05 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Don't presume to tell me my business, snowflake. I've built more guitars than you'll ever own and repaired, upgraded, and modded hundreds more. The vintage Strat ashtray fits the two bridges just as I've described. If it doesn't fit your guitar it's only because your instrument is not equipped with a vintage-spec MIA hardtail Strat bridge.

Have a nice......whatever.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:21 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Easy Arjay. I know you know your stuff and the comments aren't aimed at me but you quoted him the mexi hardtail part number not the usa vintage one... :D

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 am
Roadie
Roadie

The American Vintage Stratocaster hardtail bridge is p/n 0037592000 (049)
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 037592049/

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
Don't presume to tell me my business, snowflake. I've built more guitars than you'll ever own and repaired, upgraded, and modded hundreds more. The vintage Strat ashtray fits the two bridges just as I've described. If it doesn't fit your guitar it's only because your instrument is not equipped with a vintage-spec MIA hardtail Strat bridge.

Have a nice......whatever.

Arjay

You know what is so funny? Ironic even? The fact that you threw around the word 'snowflake', yet you are the one who lost his cool and got offended somehow. ...and the icing on the cake is that you were wrong.
I'll be the first to admit, I have a lot to learn - that is why I am here. However, I am not about to be 'schooled' by an internet tough guy.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:53 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

64Galaxie wrote:
The American Vintage Stratocaster hardtail bridge is p/n 0037592000 (049)
https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-am ... 037592049/

Thanks! I'll look into this.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:15 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Hey lets get some facts together. Arjay is not necessarily wrong. What are the dimensions to your bridge.
https://www.angela.com/fenderimportvint ... embly.aspx
I have only USA vintage bridges
The plate excluding trem part is 2.89 inches the lip being very close at 2.9 approxand the string spacing is 2.213 or 2 7/32 inch on these and the ashtray fits.

If the Mexican classic bridge is these dimensions as some sources say I cannot see why the ashtray wont fit.
You mention your lip is too wide or similar what are its dimensions. Pics.
How do you know what part number your current bridge is?

Ok I have looked at my strats further. I have a gold vintage bridge and the ashtray cover fits. I bought a supposed vintage bridge on ebay. I now realise this is a reliance bridge
https://www.angela.com/fendervintagerel ... ridge.aspx
The ashtray does not fit it is too loose....not only that it is missing the small lower lip that extends to the tremolo.
In addition the trem hole is in a slightly different spot and the hole in the ashtray cover does not line up. Looks like I got ripped paying usa vintage prices for a ping bridge but life goes on.
Nothing is simple. :D

Last edited by jimmy_james on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:47 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jimmy_james wrote:
Hey lets get some facts together. Arjay is not necessarily wrong. What are the dimensions to your bridge.
https://www.angela.com/fenderimportvint ... embly.aspx
I have only USA vintage bridges
The plate excluding trem part is 2.89 inches the lip being very close at 2.9 approxand the string spacing is 2.213 or 2 7/32 inch on these and the ashtray fits though having said that I have a chrome cover snap fits on a chrome bridge but is loose on the same model gold bridge so go figure..
If the Mexican classic bridge is these dimensions as some sources say I cannot see why the ashtray wont fit.
You mention your lip is too wide or similar what are its dimensions. Pics.
How do you know what part number your current bridge is? :D

Thanks for the help.
I measured the bridge on my guitar (with digital calipers) and got a width of 2.995".
According to the Fender parts site that I originally linked, they said it was for the pawnshop series. Maybe they are referring to another model? Also, the Angela site you linked says 'Pawn Shop Series' (Mexico), mine is from Japan.

Another peculiar dimension is that the E to E spacing is 2.128" (center to center on adjustment screws). That seems a bit narrow to be considered 2-3/16, no?
Any idea what bridge I have? Thanks again.

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:57 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yeah see my edited comments.
The width of your lip is too wide as you have said it will never fit.
As we discussed could be mexi/Japanese of different dimensions
Hopefully someone who has the classic mexi will chime in but at this stage yours is not looking like that model. I have been led to believe the reliance and the classic specs are the same in which case the ashtray cover just falls off due to the slightly shorter length to the lip.
I probably cannot add any more except that often when you think you're right maybe just maybe you're not myself included here!
:D