It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Moved that pesky volume control
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:25 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My rebuilt '99 American Standard Strat. Bought a custom pickguard from Warmoth without the volume control hole. Then had Lindy Fralin build it up with vintage split-blade pickups and a push-pull master tone control: pushed in puts a .02 mfd capacitor in the tone circuit, and pulled out puts a .0015 mfd capacitor in the circuit. Also replaced the tremolo block with a Callaham block and a short, reverse-bend (left-handed) tremolo arm, so I can wrap my pinkie around it while playing. Set the bridge up the way Gerry Hayes (Haze Guitars) recommends rather than the way Fender recommends and now I don't go out of tune anymore. Had another strat a couple of years ago and just didn't like it. But this one is so nice. Image

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Moved that pesky volume control
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:08 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I like the character of the body's lumber!

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:46 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

love everything about that guitar. enjoy it in good health!

I see you are a new member. welcome to the forums...best on the net.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:55 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

WD also do any configuration of Strat pickguard. I've had several (generally HH or HSH) with no pot holes at all. On those, I've just drilled for one vol pot, about 1/2" further down than standard. IE: Reachable but not so knockable!

I only mention it because they're presumably going to be a lot cheaper in the US. Whether cheaper than Warmoth I don't know, but quality is good.

Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:52 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Peter S wrote:

... I only mention it because they're presumably going to be a lot cheaper in the US...

They are certainly painfully expensive here in the UK. Perhaps post Brexit trade deals will make that less so.

I must admit that I don't have issues with the original Strat volume location as I quite like doing Jeff Beck style volume swells. I even inverted the control plate on my Tele to put the volume knob closer at hand. That said, a nice looking guitar.

After all this time I should be better.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:14 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Quote:
I must admit that I don't have issues with the original Strat volume location
Oh, I agree, John. The standard 3-knob location looks 'right' and I wouldn't change it on a 'normal' Strat. It's only really when I've tried different pup setups requiring a new pickguard anyway.

I have to confess I very rarely use tone controls (prefer to set EQ on the amp), so it's been tempting to omit the tone pots completely. But I only have one Strat currently in use (HSS) with just a volume pot, so obviously I'm not fussed either way.

Agree with Arjay: OP's Strat body looks good; just thinking the current pot positions look a little odd. But that's the great thing about Strats, isn't it? You can do what you like with them and easily convert back to standard as and when! So no offence, Steve!

Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:41 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Peter S wrote:
Quote:
So no offence, Steve!

Cheers - Peter.

None taken! :wink: