It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: American Performer Strat Tremelo Arm part #
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:28 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I'm trying to find the part number for the Tremelo arm for the American Performer model. I recently bought one of these, and it's pretty clear they didn't give me the arm that originally came to them because the tip is bright white instead of aged white. I also feel like the arm is too far away from the guitar after I screwed it in as far as it would go so I suspect this may not be the right arm period. The guitar was out in the store with the bag, etc. in the back and I think they didn't do a great job of keeping things properly assigned given they also shorted me the .05 hex wrench (which is no problem because I have those at home).

I looked on the support page and found the parts list, but while it shows the bag and the wrenches I didn't see the tremelo arm (am I blind?). I want to just go ahead and order one with the aged white tip but need to know the part number. Little help?

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: American Performer Strat Tremelo Arm part #
Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:15 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

If the trem arm you have fits the instrument why not just buy an aged-white tip and be done with it?

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:39 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've started thinking about that since it screwed in fine. I did find tips for $5 and arms for like $10-$12.

What I'm still not sure about is the shape and if there would be any difference with other Fender strats. Only started with guitar about 11 months ago, so still new to a lot of things. My other electric is a PRS and the tremolo arm is shaped significantly different.

The PRS arm sticks out about 1 inch from the body when fully inserted. The bend is close to 90 degrees so the arm then runs roughly parallel to the body.

The arm on my Strat also sticks out about 1 inch from the body when fully screwed in. However, the angle is under 90 degrees to the point that when you get to the tip the arm is about 2" off the body. Perhaps that is what I really should be figuring out first - is that typical for a Strat?

Looking at replacement arms on the fender site, it appears like some of the model replacements have 90 degree angles and some appear to be more like the one I have. But it's really hard to see actual angles on a 2D picture given some of the perspectives they used in taking the pictures.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:55 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If the arm screws in and fits you probably have the right type.
You could try bending it to the desired angle but try not to split the chrome. :D

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks all. I ordered tips. Guess now I have to go check out a bunch of strats and see what their arms are shaped like - may even have to play them for a while - perhaps an Ultra to start. :lol: Worse case if I decide I want it flatter I will try and bend it, and if I mess it up it's only about a $12 mistake.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:35 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

If the trem is set up floating (rear of the plate about 1/8" above the body), the arm should be close to parallel.
There is a slight kick-up at the end of the arm, but it's not much.
The hole in the tremolo block is drilled at a slight angle to level the arm when the trem is floating.

Be careful experimenting with different arms. The block is soft cast metal, and the arms are steel. Some arms available are metric and may feel like they are going to thread in, but they will damage the block.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:16 am
Roadie
Roadie

afaik, the Perfomer trem is the Ping PW-36 with a steel block as used for the American Special.

The arm is screw-in. American Deluxe, Elite, Ultra, Professional are all push-fit and will not work
This is the Fender description
ARM TREMOLO VINT PING SGGBA-FCR-IN 10-32 (w/ Ivory Knob), Fender Part 0073643000

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:34 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Quote:
afaik, the Perfomer trem is the Ping PW-36 with a steel block as used for the American Special.
Agreed. And I think OP's right that the arm seems to stick out a bit more than the Am Std - not the 'height' of the tip, but the distance between the baseplate and the bend in the arm. I think that's what he means?

I haven't actually measured it (I have both) but yes, it does seem that way. Can't say it bothers me, though, even though I do float my trems.

Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Drop the tip on a cup of tea, it will be aged.
No joke, it work for all plastic parts

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:19 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

CB91710 wrote:
If the trem is set up floating (rear of the plate about 1/8" above the body), the arm should be close to parallel.
There is a slight kick-up at the end of the arm, but it's not much.
The hole in the tremolo block is drilled at a slight angle to level the arm when the trem is floating.

Be careful experimenting with different arms. The block is soft cast metal, and the arms are steel. Some arms available are metric and may feel like they are going to thread in, but they will damage the block.

Thank you. Yes, it is set up floating. One of the things I did before posting was go to the setup specification and then based off of that I measured the rear of the plate. It is sitting right at 1/8".

As I mentioned there is about 2 inch rise between where it makes the turn until you get to the tip (ending up at 3"), which IMO is pretty significant.

Thanks for the heads up on the arm sizes. The one I have went in smoothly so I think it is correct. Now if I do decide to replace it I get to figure out what size thread I need - 5mm or 10/32.

Last edited by Wolfgate on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:24 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

64Galaxie wrote:

The arm is screw-in. American Deluxe, Elite, Ultra, Professional are all push-fit and will not work
This is the Fender description
ARM TREMOLO VINT PING SGGBA-FCR-IN 10-32 (w/ Ivory Knob), Fender Part 0073643000

Thank you!

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:25 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratele52 wrote:
Drop the tip on a cup of tea, it will be aged.
No joke, it work for all plastic parts

LOL! I'm going to try that even though I ordered tips, just because. Sounds like a fun experiment and great way to get my wife to roll her eyes at me.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:23 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Wow... That really does seem extreme!

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:08 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yes, that distance between the tip and pickguard is a bit much! I'd bend the arm - and have done on several occasions. Hendrix also did it so it can't be that bad!

But if a different US arm 'bends sooner', that's probably the best solution. I'd quite like to change the arm on my Special (too much play), so will look into that...

Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:19 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Follow up on this thread. Ordered aged white tips for $5 and got 2- I'll save the second. Tip was a bear to get off and on, but I got it done by heating up the tip. Bending the arm was easy. Found a piece of wood (a non-load bearing cross support in our walk-in attic rafters to be honest), drilled a hole the size of the arm, put it in and bent. Easy to bend, no chrome cracking. All good now.

LOL! Can I say I modded my Strat now. :lol:

Go to page 1, 2  Next