It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post subject: Re: Advice with a new Stratocaster regarding string alignmen
Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:27 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I tend to agree w/ the nut being spaced ok, as long as it is not playing sharp in the 1st-3rd fretted note or open buzzing it appears fine.
I am surprised no one mentioned the saddles, look at your B string in the picture, it has fallen into a screw cutout. I would recommend taking a needle file to put a slight string center slot in each of the saddles, it will prevent them from slipping around. Keep in mind not very deep at all, just enough to hold it under tuning pressure. The smallest file will work for all the slots. It will also help the spacing along the neck, be it a little bit.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you all very much for sharing your opinions and experiences with me, that was really helpful!

In the meantime, I was able to return the guitar to the shop and they ordered a new one for me which I just got yesterday! I understand from most of your comments that I may have been too choosy, being quite unexperienced with electric guitars (I played more acoustic/classical), but I just couldn't shake off the feeling that something is wrong...

So, if somebody of you is interested:
I tried to take the same photo from the new guitar again, and comparing the two it is more easy to see what I meant with my "missing wood" theory. I have also overlaid the two photos, making it even more obvious (the "old" guitar is labeled "A" and the new one "B"). Of course, the perspective is not 100% the exact same, but I scaled and rotated the photos so that the lowE is vertical on both of the photos and most of the proportions stay the same. You can easily see how the first fret (and, to a lesser degree, also the 2nd and 3rd) appear quite a bit "shorter" on the bass side of "A". You can also see that the dot in the 3rd is more centered on "B".

So, even if the first guitar was within production tolerance, and it was just me being oversensitive - I am definitely a lot more happy with the new one and feel relieved that I returned the first one...! And of course it's not just the photo, I think it feels better and I guess I could easily differentiate the guitars with closed eyes.

Anyway... thank you all...!!!

PS: Next thing is... I do not even have an amp yet... ;-) Thinking about getting a Deluxe or Princeton Reverb, '65 or '68 ...? I probably have to try them all. I definitely don't need the volume since it will be first for home use and a bit of recording, but I would love a really good sound with the nice reverb and vibrato... decisions, decisions...

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

You did well. There was something odd about guitar A.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

An interesting thread.

I tend to agree that perhaps a gnats appendage more was sanded off when flushing the first fret. It is unfortunately one of those "Once seen can't be unseen " things that could annoy for the life of the guitar; so if changing it made you happy that is fine...until you find the thing that isn't perfect on the new guitar.

I appreciate that MiA guitars should be of a standard but, in relative terms, they are cheap instruments manufactured in their thousands. It is inevitable there are going to be small flaws.

With regard to the noted issue I am almost inclined to say I might have found it an advantage. I use my thumb, a lot, and roll my fretboard edges as much as I can get away with. There is no bending going to be done at the first fret so it wasn't going to impact on the way the guitar plays - aside making it easier to use your thumb.

Still, not my guitar, enjoy the replacement.

After all this time I should be better.

Go to page Previous  1, 2