It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post subject: Re: vintage strats: look for dowels
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 am
Roadie
Roadie

It looks like Clarence did the same thing with my G&L Legacy. I always wondered what those marks were. There are two dowel pin marks in the same location on the back of the body on my G&L The other mark is under the black portion of the two tone burst. There is also two marks on the headstock.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:18 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

orvilleowner wrote:
Before you write that big check for that vintage Fender, be sure you can find the dowels!

Great thread, really fascinating, Thanks! :D

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks for the pictures otis66.

Yup, those look like dowels plugging machining holes. It was Leo's way!

Member #26797
My other guitar is a Strat.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:27 pm
Fender Staff

Grrrrr…..I hate when I write a post and get the white “We are experiencing problems “!
Anyway…lol…..I had never seen this thread until this morning when it caught my eye while passing through. Not that I know a lot about the dowels used to fill the tooling holes, but here is the little I DO know…..my remembrance of it anyway.
When we first started making the Vintage Reissue Series round about 82, I was working on the final guitar line and remember the first 57’s coming to my workbench, and noticing the dowel marks on the body. I remember thinking, “wth?” so asked Dan Smith about it next time he passed by. I don’t remember the conversation verbatim, but it was basically to tell me that it was fine, and though we didn’t use the tooling that required the holes anymore, that the aim was to make them like they had been made…..cloth wiring etc., thus the dowels. Later on, when Mike Lewis revamped the Vintage Reissues, the dowels disappeared. I think we also had a brief conversation about it. Again, only a basic translation of that on my part, but my recollection is that Dan went for making them the way they had been made and reproducing that, while Mike went for more of a “way they were designed” result.
And THAT is all I know about holes and dowels!

All the best,
rob
PS- seems like the 57’s also had a dowel on the high end of the fretboard in the 80’s……but my brain is fuzzy so I won’t swear to it.

Proudly serving Fender Customers
for over 30 years

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:10 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

That's cool. Thanks for the info, Rob.

Member #26797

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:30 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

A guitar builder and luthier also has pics of the pin hole dowel positions he found during refinishing a 1962 Strat:

http://www.lashingguitars.com/62restora ... /body.html

Well, this feature is easy to see if the paint is stripped, but if the body is refinished, are there any non-destructive ways to locate the presence of the holes? I can see using an eraser sander through a circular hole (of a draftsman's erasing template) to expose one of the pin holes below the top left screw hole of the pickguard. That would expose bare wood, but it would be useful evidence for authentication or resale value.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

We learn something new every day... Good post!

facebook.com/313DBC

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:23 am
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks for the picture.

Aloha Mark wrote:
Well, this feature is easy to see if the paint is stripped, but if the body is refinished, are there any non-destructive ways to locate the presence of the holes?

I can find the dowels on my old guitars that have their original finishes. Just hold them to the light in the right way; there's always some shrinkage of the finish.

If a vintage guitar has been refinished, it could be harder to detect the dowels because 1) the refinisher did a real good job prepping the surface, or 2) the new finish isn't old enough or prone to shrinkage around the dowel. I think one should be able to find the dowels if the refinisher used nitro and kept it thin.

Member #26797

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:30 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Time for a bump

Happy Thanksgiving

Member #26797

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:38 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Time for another bump. Some useful info from Mike regarding the tooling holes. Go to 3:45 to see what he had to say about them.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:36 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

This is a photo of my 1962 Jazzmaster in for a re-finish in July 2014. You can clearly see the dowel filled holes on the back of the guitar.

I couldn't spot any on the front side of the body.

Jerry

'62 Jazzmaster/'78 Precision Bass/'88 Fender F250 acoustic/'07 Gibson Less Paul Classic Antique/'12 Squier Strat/'14 Squier VM Jaguar/'15 Classic 60s Telecaster/'68 Showman Reverb/'70 Bandmaster Cabinet JBL D140F speakers/'69 Super Reverb/'12 G-DEC 3-30

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

SoCal, great video from Mike Eldred. Very informative. Confirms a lot of what's been said in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:11 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have 4 dowels on my 1986 '62 AVRI, 2 on the front and 2 on the back. So they must've started using them again after they stopped in the 70's

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:42 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

This was explained just a few posts up. Always a good idea to read the thread before posting. :wink:

Rob Schwarz-Fender wrote:
Grrrrr…..I hate when I write a post and get the white “We are experiencing problems “!
Anyway…lol…..I had never seen this thread until this morning when it caught my eye while passing through. Not that I know a lot about the dowels used to fill the tooling holes, but here is the little I DO know…..my remembrance of it anyway.
When we first started making the Vintage Reissue Series round about 82, I was working on the final guitar line and remember the first 57’s coming to my workbench, and noticing the dowel marks on the body. I remember thinking, “wth?” so asked Dan Smith about it next time he passed by. I don’t remember the conversation verbatim, but it was basically to tell me that it was fine, and though we didn’t use the tooling that required the holes anymore, that the aim was to make them like they had been made…..cloth wiring etc., thus the dowels. Later on, when Mike Lewis revamped the Vintage Reissues, the dowels disappeared. I think we also had a brief conversation about it. Again, only a basic translation of that on my part, but my recollection is that Dan went for making them the way they had been made and reproducing that, while Mike went for more of a “way they were designed” result.
And THAT is all I know about holes and dowels!

All the best,
rob
PS- seems like the 57’s also had a dowel on the high end of the fretboard in the 80’s……but my brain is fuzzy so I won’t swear to it.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4