It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: Strings
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:54 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

For years now I've been using elixir nanoweb steel 10s on my MIM strat but recently I've been breaking them quite often and I'm looking to try a different string brand/material etc. I only replace my strings every 2 months or so and wish to keep it that way. Can someone point out the differences between nickel, pure nickel, steel, round wound etc. and what might perhaps last two months without rusting or snapping.

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Strings
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Google :)

Nickel-Plated Steel: Balanced brightness and warmth with more attack
Pure Nickel: Less bright than nickel-plated steel with added warmth
Stainless Steel: Bright, crisp, “edgy” tone with sustain and corrosion resistance. Less prone to finger squeaks.
Chrome: Warmth with less resonance; often chosen by jazz and blues guitarists
Titanium: Fairly bright tone with excellent strength
Cobalt: Wide dynamic range with notable brightness and pickup response
Polymer-coated: Less sustain than equivalent uncoated strings; corrosion-resistant
Color-coated: Some coatings have added colorants for visual appeal; tonality varies

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guita ... ric-guitar

Steel - D’Addario’s unique ProSteels alloy is our brightest and most corrosion resistant wire. ProSteels are preferred by many rock/metal, country and jazz players for their super-bright, crunchy tone and highly textured feel.

Nickel-plated Steel - The industry standard for electric guitar and D’Addario’s most popular electric strings. Nickel-plated steel offers perfect balance of dynamic magnetism and smooth, comfortable feel. Their distinctive bright tone is extremely versatile for all styles of music.

Pure Nickel - The primary electric string alloy used in the 50s and early 60s. Its lower magnetic properties deliver slightly warmer, “broken in” tone preferred by many vintage enthusiasts.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductsElec ... 47b2103bcb

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Some pretty solid references there.

I find my problem with strings is, as they aren't necessarily cheap as cheap, I buy one pack to try. I then can't remember which strings are on which guitar so don't know if any particular string is better than the others.

All that said I'm not sure I have ever put on a set and thought "Wow these are brilliant, I will always use these." I also don't trust the initial impression of strings as they all sound bright when new but it is then difficult to gauge how that brightness deteriorates after time.

So how do I choose? I'm afraid I am influenced by those, I assume, are more scientific in their assessment or I respect as players "If they are good enough for..." I used Super Bullets for years but after a few failures of the cast bullets falling off (the brass ones were fine) I have now switched to Ernie Balls.

With regard to the OPs sudden increase in breakages I would put that down to snagging on the edge of the trem plate or saddles. The strings can cut in over time and cause burrs that increase the possibility of a break. It can also be as a result of a change in playing style or habit.

After all this time I should be better.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I use Nickel wound ( D'addario )

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

James092924 wrote:
recently I've been breaking them quite often

If this is what's causing you to want to try different strings, then you've picked the wrong cure for your problem.
Where do they keeping breaking?
Are the breakages all in the same area?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:01 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratmangler wrote:
James092924 wrote:
recently I've been breaking them quite often

If this is what's causing you to want to try different strings, then you've picked the wrong cure for your problem.
Where do they keeping breaking?
Are the breakages all in the same area?

The first few were around the nut and saddles so I filed the saddles and lubricated the nut which seemed to reduce breaks, although the most recent ones have been around the fret board which could possibly be due to fret wear. I've also been playing a lot more often over the past six months but I'm still getting an unusual amount of breaks.
Thanks

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:09 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Did you change strings set often ?
Olds string break more easily.

IMO string material is the the issue !

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratele52 wrote:

I've always replaced them atleast every 2 months but I've gone through about 6 high e strings and 4 b strings in around 5 months

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:36 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

We use D'Addario EXL110 strings on most of the electrics here.
Changed out the strings on my son's 60s Lacquer Strat the other week, and he informed me the previous set had been on since December. My son plays this guitar a lot. At least 2 hours a day.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:03 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

James092924 wrote:
stratele52 wrote:

I've always replaced them atleast every 2 months but I've gone through about 6 high e strings and 4 b strings in around 5 months

IMO strings are too old

I did not play hard and many hours and I change strings every month. I hear new strings sound better.

This is not mystery
If string broke at the saddle and saddles are nice, string are too old.

I never broke a string

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Depends how much bending you do as well. OP hasn't specified how much stick he gives his strings.

I bend a LOT and had many breakages in my younger days, but on standard D'Addario 9-42's I very rarely break a string now. And I don't change them very often either (several months); I prefer slightly 'dead' strings, probably because I don't play clean very much.

Some years ago I recall standing in with a band in a Caribbean holiday hotel. The guitar player lent me his pride and joy Squier Strat and I promptly broke the top E and B! He played without bending and the strings were therefore unstressed - until I came along! Lucky his trem was decked, so I managed some reasonable lead breaks! Needless to say, I coughed up for a new set of strings afterwards - I felt awful as he didn't even have a spare set!

OP's problem sounds more like a setup / fault thing to me - no modern strings should keep breaking like that. Bite the bullet, mate - take it to a decent professional (assuming you can find one). Even though I've always set my own Strats up and been happy with the results, I was amazed the first time I had one done professionally. Played like butter!

Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:17 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Unfortunately, I need to limit my exposure to nickel. I'm not as badly affected as some, but I still get a bit red and sore. Which limits my choices somewhat, but I have good experience with two sets:

- Ernie Ball Cobalts. Their biggest drawbacks are that they're expensive, and that they color your fingers black. But they last really well, and sound pretty darn good, perhaps especially with humbuckers. They're more magnetic than plain steel, which makes them "hotter".

- Rotosound British Steels. They were good enough for Jimi M. Hendrix, and they're good enough for me. If anything, these are my goto strings for blues bending. They last well if, and only if you wipe them down. I've never had one break, but I have a couple of the bass strings get corrosion, because I didn't wipe them down. The biggest drawback is that the big stores don't stock them, but they're well worth ordering online.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:24 pm
Amateur
Amateur

arth1 wrote:
= Ernie Ball Cobalts. Their biggest drawbacks are that they're expensive, and that they color your fingers black. But they last really well, and sound pretty darn good, perhaps especially with humbuckers. They're more magnetic than plain steel, which makes them "hotter".

- Rotosound British Steels. They were good enough for Jimi M. Hendrix, and they're good enough for me. If anything, these are my goto strings for blues bending. They last well if, and only if you wipe them down. I've never had one break, but I have a couple of the bass strings get corrosion, because I didn't wipe them down. The biggest drawback is that the big stored don't stock them, but they're well worth ordering online.

I've been using the Ernie Ball cobalts for a few years now and have not had the "black fingers" problem, and they last and last - makes up for the higher price. And I love their brighter sound on both my AmDlx Strat and my P90 equipped LP. But an acquaintance has been raving about the Rotosound strings so I may have to pick up a set to try.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:46 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Pure Nickel Fender 150M (11's) on my "Blocked" Strat's and Pure Nickel Fender 3150R (10's) Bullet end on my Tremolo guitar.
Love the sound of Pure Nickel for some reason, and these strings tend to last ME a good long time....reasonably priced too, in my opinion.

'12 Standard Strat
'13 CD-60
'15 Standard Strat
'15 T-Bucket 300CE Amber
'15 Rogue RA-100D (Beater)
'17 Epiphone Ltd. Ed. SG Special-I
'17 Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:27 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

John Sims wrote:
Some pretty solid references there.

I find my problem with strings is, as they aren't necessarily cheap as cheap, I buy one pack to try. I then can't remember which strings are on which guitar so don't know if any particular string is better than the others.

I hear ya! to help jog my feeble memory, I record the date, brand, and what maintenance I've done on a small sheet of note paper that I leave in the case. With about 20 guitars, it's easy for me to forget some of these specifics. (then again, if I forget to update the sheet, then the whole plan goes down in flames... true story)

Go to page 1, 2  Next