It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Real or Fake CS 56 Strat
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:20 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey Everyone

First post here, I am looking to buy a used fender custom shop 56 Stratocaster. I found one on reverb for a good price but I wanted an extra set of eyes on it before I sent an offer for it. The only thing that looks fishy to me is the fender logo on head stock looks odd and he doesn't have the COA. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Can be found at this link - https://reverb.com/item/16916629-used-f ... e-sunburst

Fender Play February 2019
Post subject: Re: Real or Fake CS 56 Strat
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Okay, so first off ... this forum has the true experts on these matters, and I am very admittedly not on their level. However ... here are my non-definitive thoughts on this guitar.
1) The dealer looks super reputable and knowledgeable. If this is a fake, then it was good enough to fool them in person. Hence, it is IMO "unlikely" that this forum will identify clear evidence of a fake that they somehow missed. The biggest level of confidence in buying this guitar is likely them.
2) Who buys a CS and seemingly never plays it (likely treating it as this treasured thing) and then LOSES the COA? The one thing everyone knows to maintain on a CS is the COA. Although ... you can come up with many scenarios on how this logically did happen, though ... Maybe the original owner bought it and kept the COA in "a very safe place", and then died, and now no one knows where it is. Maybe it was in a separate box that got lost in a move (I have had treasured things of mine that got lost in moves ... too many actually). Things like that do happen... Regardless, if you sell it as such, you will not have the credibility of the dealer you are getting it from. So consider that if you think you may sell down the road.
3) Does Fender have some process for providing a COA for lost ones? If so, this may be worth pursuing even it is difficult and costs some money. Consider that if you have a trip to Disneyland upcoming...
4) Logo looks okay. The head-stock and fret-board look just a bit over relic'd to my eyes. But I (very admittedly) am super far from being any type of expert on CS relic jobs. Personally, I am not a fan, but that is just my personal opinion only.

Please post the final outcome here.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

You could try the Custom shop section for better knowledge: https://forums.fender.com/viewforum.php?f=14

The serial checks out on the product registration database; "56 Stratocaster® Relic®, Maple Fingerboard, 2-Color Sunburst".
But the headstock decal (would IMHO fit better on a "Heavy Relic" than a regular one) and the missing COA leave some questions, even though I do agree that the seller is absolutely reputable.

I'll just go with the #1-option, "indecisive", of 01GT. :oops:

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:09 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

01GT eibach wrote:
3) Does Fender have some process for providing a COA for lost ones? If so, this may be worth pursuing even it is difficult and costs some money. Consider that if you have a trip to Disneyland upcoming...

It's definitely worth a phone call to customer relations.
G&L will reproduce the COA (and factory build sheet if newer than 2011) for any guitar for $26. They require a few detailed photos including the SN, and the photos must be sent from the same email address that was used to place the order.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Looks okay to me.
The only way to be 100% is to pull it apart.
Fender have eased up restrictions for COAs so with a couple of clear pics and a payment you should be able to get a new one. :D

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I'd be asking the dealer to sort out a new COA. It's part of the package, in my view, and an essential one at that. Not like it's a 200 quid guitar, is it?

Just my opinion! Cheers - Peter.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Peter S wrote:
I'd be asking the dealer to sort out a new COA. It's part of the package, in my view, and an essential one at that. Not like it's a 200 quid guitar, is it?

Just my opinion! Cheers - Peter.

I think that is a sound call. For that sort of money it should be included.

After all this time I should be better.