It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: California Series Strat tuner suggestions?
Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:35 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello all,

New member, with an interesting issue.

I have recently acquired a 1997 California Series Strat Neck. It plays beautifully and was a real bargain.

My problem is the tuners...

It originally was made loaded with vintage style tuners and I've gone to replicate that but the ferrules don't fit. The tuners I have come with 8mm, which were too lose. So I went for 10mm replacements, which were too big... so I then went for 9mm which are still too small??

The last thing I want to do is open up the tuning peg holes with a rat tale file if there's some tuners I can go for that will do the job?

Right now, the 9mm ferrules under tension are good enough, but not ideal.

Cheers,

Andy

(apologies, I am a British Millennial and don't operate in inches!)

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: California Series Strat tuner suggestions?
Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi & welcome to the forum.

A caliper would tell the exact size of the holes. But since 9mm is too small and 10mm is too big, I'll risk a guess that the holes are 9,250mm (that's 3/8" for the imperial flame troopers). Shouldn't be too hard to find proper sized conversion bushings in the UK.

Then again, there are quick fixes - which just might prove to be a final solution.
Raid the kitchen, and wrap aluminium foil around the 9mm bushings until they're snug - try to avoid creases. Aluminium tape is even easier to use.
Or take a table spoonful of clear lacquer (boat varnishes etc. do just as well) to a jar, leave it open and stir in regular intervals. When it has thickened properly (between cream/yoghurt thickness), use it as a glue/filler when you put the bushings in. This trick even takes care of holes which are worn to slight oval shape.

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:02 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Here you can find all measurement for many tuning machines and order tuning machines at you dealer in UK

First , are you sure you measurement are accurate ?
You write 10 mm is too big, here some 9.96 mm or it's mean 10 mm for you ?

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... uners.html

9.91 mm here;

9.66 mm;

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... hines.html

9.91 mm

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fQ83w7]

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

When my '99 MIM Classic'50s was about a year old, one of the Ping vintage-style tuners jammed up. Nearest warranty center told me they couldn't order a single replacement, and warranty wouldn't cover replacing the 5 that still worked, so I'd have to wait until they scrounged up a used replacement. (????)

So I said "screw that" and bought a set of Fender(Gotoh) AVRI tuners from my local dealer.

Figured I'd just re-use the existing bushings, but the tuner shafts were slightly larger diameter and wouldn't go through the bushings.

Pushed out the stock bushings, tried to press in the new ones, and the holes in the head were too small. So I reamed the holes. Didn't take much, certainly less than a mm.
------------------
In the years after, people on various forums said they had done similar swaps with no problems.

And I seem to recall the California Series had AVRI tuners stock, so AVRI tuners should fit.

So this post is no help really, other than to confirm that there are occasional weirdnesses with vintage-style tuner dimensions.
--------------------
P.S. I disassembled the jammed Ping tuner. A tooth on the brass ring gear had sheared off entirely, 4 others had ground down about halfway. Just normal use, nothing odd or abusive. I guess a bad batch of brass?
-----------------
Another way to tighten up the 9mm bushings is to paint the inside of the holes with white glue (Q-Tip/cotton swab is a good applicator). Let it dry, then test the bushing. If needed, you can apply more layers.

Easier to get glue than lacquer, and no stirring/reducing.

Doesn't get quite as hard when dry, stays a little rubbery. So theoretically not as good for "tone transfer" or whatever.

But in practice, there's no difference. Bushings tight against the walls of the hole, bushings loose, wrapped in foil, lacquer, glue, all sound the same.