It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Tone Master Deluxe Reverb problem
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

URGENT !! MAJOR DESIGN FLAW !!!
Just saw a YouTube review of the the tone master deluxe reverb. Everything was great until the dude switched on reverb and tremolo,which individually sound fantastic, BUUUUUUT, in the tube version,the tremolo(vibrato) is last in the chain,in other words,the reverb has tremolo..... Like I said,MAJOR design flaw if they truly are trying to faithfully clone the tube version.......if you wanna go full authentic "surf's up",gotta have the tremolo last,after the reverb......really kinda surprised they missed this
Just sayin.....reeeeeeally want to like this amp !

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Tone Master Deluxe Reverb problem
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

What is your design flaw claim based on?
I can't even find a schematic for the TM's anywhere on line yet.
I've seen a couple of guts shots, but you can't see enough to know exactly what's going on with the signal path.

Just curious.

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:37 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

In the original tube version of the DR, the signal passes (or bypasses) the reverb circuit FIRST then is routed to the tremolo oscillator.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:14 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Having used mid 60's Fender tube amps since they were originally produced and many examples as a 4 month owner of the Tone Master Twin I can assure you it operates exactly like the classics in terms of reverb and tremolo. There is a greater range of reverb perceived by some but it is like a lot of the old ones I've played over the years. The tremolo is perfect without the variability from amp to amp that you would get in the old Fenders.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

You are grasping at straws.

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
In the original tube version of the DR, the signal passes (or bypasses) the reverb circuit FIRST then is routed to the tremolo oscillator.

Arjay

I believe that is what OP was attempting to say. And supposedly in the TM recreation, the tremolo is first and reverb last. Maybe Fender staff can step in here and clear that up.

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:17 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

A peek at the TM's schematic would reveal all.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Retroverbial wrote:
A peek at the TM's schematic would reveal all.

Arjay

Being a digital amp I think the source code for the software would be needed. All the magic is happening with 1’s and 0’s inside the CPU. The knobs on the front of the amp most likely supply a floating point value between 0 and 10, as input parameters for the software algorithms (grammar and punctuation ?). The order in which those parameter values are processed, and how they interact/impact one another, is contained in the code.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

beckologist wrote:
Being a digital amp I think the source code for the software would be needed.

I think you're probably right. And being more of an "analog" guy I'll defer to anyone who knows more about modeling amps than me (which in all candor is likely everyone).

:lol:
Arjay

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

LOL. I think the software code would confuse and scare the bejeebers out of me ;-).

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Bdubya wrote:
URGENT !! MAJOR DESIGN FLAW !!!
Just saw a YouTube review of the the tone master deluxe reverb. Everything was great until the dude switched on reverb and tremolo,which individually sound fantastic, BUUUUUUT, in the tube version,the tremolo(vibrato) is last in the chain,in other words,the reverb has tremolo..... Like I said,MAJOR design flaw if they truly are trying to faithfully clone the tube version.......if you wanna go full authentic "surf's up",gotta have the tremolo last,after the reverb......really kinda surprised they missed this
Just sayin.....reeeeeeally want to like this amp !

Unfortunately, the above is incorrect.
I just tested this on my TMDR. The reverb does, indeed, come before the tremolo. The entire signal, reverb and all, goes through the tremolo (vibrato, whatevs).
Not only that, but the Normal and Vibrato channels are out-of-phase with one another, also identical to the tube version. And probably only necessary to satisfy the truly fussy.

FYI:
What is not like the tube Deluxe Reverb reissue is that the tremolo works without the foot switch (YAY!). And, the two-button foot switch for the TMDR is the “modern” thing that looks like a bar of soap (BOO!). But, it uses a standard, common TS shielded guitar cable (YAY!). At least the foot switch now has LEDs, so I don’t need the Boss FS-6 for gigs (YAY!). Ain’t progress grand?

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

did you check recently for firmware updates? Might already be fixed in the latest download.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 am
Amateur
Amateur

ghost_of_strings wrote:
did you check recently for firmware updates? Might already be fixed in the latest download.

Yes, yes I did. I went here:
https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/sec ... re-Updates
I did not find anything relevant. Anyone else find anything?

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Seems like they haven't added Tone Master to that list yet. Found the manual for that amp and it just refers you to that webpage. Yeah I think we have to conclude there is no new version yet.