It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: GT 40 or...
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Quick question: I already own a kustom kla10 practice amp, a 50w ss peavey amp and a blues d'ville 410. I am in the market for a multi effects pedal and was about to buy a Boss ME 80, when started to hear some more positive reviews of the mustang gt40 after its update. I love fender as a brand and I'm considering selling my smaller amps and buy the GT40 instead of the Boss ME 80 multi effects processor. What's your opinion?

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: GT 40 or...
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ha, that is a good question. I think that ultimately, it will be up to you to make that call. I really like my GT 40 as a bedroom amp or practice amp. It fits my desire to learn many different styles of music. (Rockabilly to DeathMetal) My usage is more of a dial-a-tone type of use.

It took me several days to make friends with my GT 40. Fender loads the amp up with 100+ pre-sets. About 1/3 of them feel to me like wacky over the top examples of what you could do with the amp. Reminds me of the keyboards from the late 80s with 5 emulated panio sounds and 30 other instruments like phasers or trumpets.

I would very highly advise finding one in a guitar shop and playing with it for a few hours OR even better borrowing one from a friend for a few weeks.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you for the info. I am leaning toward the GT40, I like the tech in it and from what I've seen on you tube, and in threads it just looks like a fun amp to use. I've also read a few threads we're people have used it as a preamp, which would be an interesting experiment.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 pm
Roadie
Roadie

I use the preamp model as basis for vst plugins, and as I work on
a vst sound I like, I can go back through the other amp models
for more takes on the new sound.

I've also made a dozen or so presets on the GT40, eliminating
some that were useless to me. Never used Tone, as I don't
have a phone or tablet. I suggest also getting a look at a used
Mustang V head, or a Mustang Floor, either used with Fender Fuse editor,
each of those models offer things not found
on the GT 40, and would be cheaper. I'm not sold on a huge
sound quality jump between the old and the new, especially
if using a wide range of sounds, where productivity would
be much better with an older Mustang, and running Fuse on a computer,
than a buggy Tone app on a phone or tablet.

I do prefer the GT with vst plugins to the above scenarios.
Good luck, there aren't really any bad choices involved!

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That is an interesting option, I haven't bought new gear for awhile so I haven't been paying that much attention to the Mustang series before now. The only experience I have with recording is with Garage Band and I was playing not messing with it. However I do want to produce a few tracks at home so I recently downloaded audacity and am learning about that. It seems that Mustang gt may make it a bit it easier for a noob like me to record music.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Damm i'm glad i stumbled upon this thread ... Basically i was in a guitar shop today , long story short i was going to run an ME80 into RC-300 looper and was thinking of hooking it up to P.A, Seperatley i was going to link a Alesis sr 18 to the P.A to unless i could link it in with the looper, but the dude in the shop, ( very helpful, electrical sound engineer i think) recommended i use the Mustang GT 40 or 100 if my budget would take it. I've read so manY threads about hooking effects processors up to P.A's and AMP's and i can't get a clear win on what is right to do.

Two things spring to mind about using the Mustang gt 40 in this set up and one is that it already has it own effects built in so would i really need an ME80 ?? i mean i want one because i like the simplicity of it and being able see and to turn the effects by a dial. And secondly wouldn't the drums sound better in a P.A speaker rather than out of the Mustang GT?

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I think it depends how you're planning to use it. If you're playing out, get the pedal. For practice at home, the GT40 is hard to beat.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:39 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Agreed, the GT40 is a really good sit at home and plunk around amp. It's pretty versatile, especially at low volume, and can be fun to pipe in youtube or your favorite MP3s over BT to jam with as well.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:32 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I use a Boss ME80 for practicing w/ headphones. Its a great tool for that but find when the pre-amp/amp modeler is engaged in front of actual amps it overloads the inputs quite easily so you really have to watch the output level controls.
As far as programming, its relatively simple however there is no way other than keeping solid written notes as to what the individual multitude of settings are. Sure memory holds the data but the actual knobs can be set to anything when going through your programmed blanks. When in a programmed blank, you only get lights for which pedal sections are on and not which sub-pedals are selected or what the three variable controls are set at.
I don't have any of the GT amps, so no comparisons.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by sfceric64 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:16 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Get the GT40! Seriously multi-effect pedals are great but the GT40 is just as flexible and malleable as any multi-effects pedal when you have the foot switch. I have a small collection of small practice amps that I use for traveling And this is the best out there so far. I've used iRig, Blackstar, Roland, Beringer and other amps over the years. while I love my Blackstar id30 and thinks it is the bee's knees it really doesn't make for a good traveling amp. Nor doesn't really make a good bedroom amp. Since you have to turn it up the real I get a good tone out of it. The ability of the effects chain to position your facts pre or post it's definitely a plus. And the effects are much better and equal to most paddle boards out there. I can create any type of tone or sound signature I choose to with this amp. Anything from ambient wash type sounds to Southern Rock to classic rock, Jazz, Blues, and old school Metal. the cost is about as much as a good multi-effects pedal and you get the app too. I would highly recommend getting the foot switch to maximize the benefit of this app. The Looper effect is a real Plus using the footswitch.