It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Muffled sound with GT40? It is true??
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:01 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello,
I am at the verge of concluding a decision to buy a GT40 for home practice and some recording. I'm just a hobbyist with limited free time for guitar and without very high expectations.

I have seen on some reviews and YouTube videos that GT40 has been criticized for having a muffle sound, particularly when compared with competitors like Katana 50.

I wonder how is your experience? Are those negative comments true? Is there a way to fix it? Should I not buy this amp??! Any comments appreciated.

Thank you

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Post subject: Re: Muffled sound with GT40? It is true??
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:47 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Look you want a GT40 and only a GT40

Why comments here should be different or more trustable than those you read ?
Why don't you buy a amp with good comments ? Like Katana 50 ?

GT use 2 X 6,5 speakers, Katana one 12 inches ; I'll choose with no more question a 12 " speaker over 2 X 6,5 " speakers.
I don't like the size of the GT cabinet. Katana have more a " standard " size wich mean for me a better tone.
GT40 speaker and cabinet size = muffle sound IMO

Why don't you test drive GT40 ? Sound is also a matter of taste .
You will be sure amp is working before you bring it a home; no return on warranty.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Fender Mustang GT40: How to Make it Sound Great - What the Manual Doesn’t Tell You ;

http://www.pixachrome.com/fender-mustan ... und-great/

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:27 pm
Amateur
Amateur

There were some vocal YouTube reviewers in the early days of this amp that complained about a “blanket on the amp” sound. I got my GT-40 a few weeks after they were released and it sounded fine to me. Like many amps, the speakers are fairly directional so you want to have the amp pointed towards you as best you can, but it’s a small practice amp - figuring out a good place for it shouldn’t be too hard.

Anyway, I love the amp. I have a Yamaha THR-10c that was my practice amp for 3+ years before I got the GT-40 (my “real” amp is a Blues Jr. for now, but the new Tonemasters look very interesting), and the GT-40 has replaced the THR for everything except when I need a battery-powered portable amp. The Fender amp models are great; I’m particularly enamored of the ‘59 Bassman, the ‘57 Twin, and the blackface Deluxe Reverb. And one of the firmware updates brought the Bassbreaker 15 and all three of its gain structures, of which I really enjoy the middle one. The spring reverbs and hall reverbs are good, and the Mythic Drive pedal model (obviously a Klone by the name) is exactly the boost I have been looking for, especially when sitting in front of the tweeds or the blackface Deluxe or the Bassbreaker.

I have Apple iDevices to run the Tone interface software, and have had no issues with Bluetooth connectivity; in the early days it sure seemed as if Android devices had a lot more connectivity issues, but I don’t know if that’s still a problem. Unfortunately, Fender hasn’t built an iPad version of Tone, so on my iPad, it’s frustratingly a scaled phone app that only displays in portrait mode, but I don’t actually use Tone that much so it’s not all that big a deal.

I’ll close by giving you my standard advice about these amps: forget the presets; to me, they are usually too gimmicky. Just pick an amp model - for classic Fender tones, I’d start with the tweed Bassman or the blackface Deluxe - then add a spring reverb behind the amp and maybe an overdrive pedal (e.g., the Mythic Drive) in front, and tweak the knobs just like you would a tube amp (I’d start with the pedal in bypass though) and see what you can get. You’ll get way better results, way faster, than trying to tweak a preset. Turn the GT-40 up maybe halfway (depending on the size of the room) and play with it. You won’t be able to keep up with a drummer volume-wise, but that’s OK - this is a practice amp, not a gigging amp. Oh, and get the 4-button foot switch too if you can; it unlocks the 60-second looper and some other functionality.

Have fun!

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

It's all in the settings. The "muffled" crowd was mostly if not all guys who can't play or figure out how to tweak and amp to save their lives. 2 or 3 of the main youtube guys that hated it are like that. If you can't play for S you also don't know tone and how to get it. Those guys are the last people that should be doing reviews, as most of what comes out of their mouths is misinformation due to their lack of experience. The GT can be as cutting and real and "in the room" as it gets. You just have to know how to tweak it, what models, cabs, etc. Whether it's a good amp or not is subjective, but whether it's muffled or not isn't.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratele52 wrote:
Look you want a GT40 and only a GT40

Why comments here should be different or more trustable than those you read ?
Why don't you buy a amp with good comments ? Like Katana 50 ?

GT use 2 X 6,5 speakers, Katana one 12 inches ; I'll choose with no more question a 12 " speaker over 2 X 6,5 " speakers.
I don't like the size of the GT cabinet. Katana have more a " standard " size wich mean for me a better tone.
GT40 speaker and cabinet size = muffle sound IMO

Why don't you test drive GT40 ? Sound is also a matter of taste .
You will be sure amp is working before you bring it a home; no return on warranty.

Thank you for your honest opinion.
The reason I'm inclined to get GT40 over Katana is firstly the size of this amp, which is considerably smaller and fits my room better, secondly a main factor is the patches that people have made and are available on Tone. I have no previous experience with electric guitar, all I have played is classical guitar, and have not idea how to set up the amp to the tone of a desired music (say, pink floyd, etc), but those patches should help, I hope.
Anyway, thank you for your advice.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:03 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

cthulhu wrote:
There were some vocal YouTube reviewers in the early days of this amp that complained about a “blanket on the amp” sound. I got my GT-40 a few weeks after they were released and it sounded fine to me. Like many amps, the speakers are fairly directional so you want to have the amp pointed towards you as best you can, but it’s a small practice amp - figuring out a good place for it shouldn’t be too hard.

Anyway, I love the amp. I have a Yamaha THR-10c that was my practice amp for 3+ years before I got the GT-40 (my “real” amp is a Blues Jr. for now, but the new Tonemasters look very interesting), and the GT-40 has replaced the THR for everything except when I need a battery-powered portable amp. The Fender amp models are great; I’m particularly enamored of the ‘59 Bassman, the ‘57 Twin, and the blackface Deluxe Reverb. And one of the firmware updates brought the Bassbreaker 15 and all three of its gain structures, of which I really enjoy the middle one. The spring reverbs and hall reverbs are good, and the Mythic Drive pedal model (obviously a Klone by the name) is exactly the boost I have been looking for, especially when sitting in front of the tweeds or the blackface Deluxe or the Bassbreaker.

I have Apple iDevices to run the Tone interface software, and have had no issues with Bluetooth connectivity; in the early days it sure seemed as if Android devices had a lot more connectivity issues, but I don’t know if that’s still a problem. Unfortunately, Fender hasn’t built an iPad version of Tone, so on my iPad, it’s frustratingly a scaled phone app that only displays in portrait mode, but I don’t actually use Tone that much so it’s not all that big a deal.

I’ll close by giving you my standard advice about these amps: forget the presets; to me, they are usually too gimmicky. Just pick an amp model - for classic Fender tones, I’d start with the tweed Bassman or the blackface Deluxe - then add a spring reverb behind the amp and maybe an overdrive pedal (e.g., the Mythic Drive) in front, and tweak the knobs just like you would a tube amp (I’d start with the pedal in bypass though) and see what you can get. You’ll get way better results, way faster, than trying to tweak a preset. Turn the GT-40 up maybe halfway (depending on the size of the room) and play with it. You won’t be able to keep up with a drummer volume-wise, but that’s OK - this is a practice amp, not a gigging amp. Oh, and get the 4-button foot switch too if you can; it unlocks the 60-second looper and some other functionality.

Have fun!

Thank you for your response.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stratele52 wrote:
Fender Mustang GT40: How to Make it Sound Great - What the Manual Doesn’t Tell You ;

http://www.pixachrome.com/fender-mustan ... und-great/

Thank you. I have seen this.
Is it really helpful?

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
It's all in the settings. The "muffled" crowd was mostly if not all guys who can't play or figure out how to tweak and amp to save their lives. 2 or 3 of the main youtube guys that hated it are like that. If you can't play for S you also don't know tone and how to get it. Those guys are the last people that should be doing reviews, as most of what comes out of their mouths is misinformation due to their lack of experience. The GT can be as cutting and real and "in the room" as it gets. You just have to know how to tweak it, what models, cabs, etc. Whether it's a good amp or not is subjective, but whether it's muffled or not isn't.

Thank you.
Can you please give some clear instructions as to how to make it sound good? Maybe a few examples or directions.
Appreciate

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:41 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Its just a matter of getting a good balance of frequencies with enough top end and not too much lows. I can't really give you specific examples that will work for your guitars and style and the 40s speakers compared to my 1x12, but my suggestion would be to experiment with cabs and do NOT use thge cab that is default to a specific model unless it proved to be the best one for you. I find the 412GB cab to be the one that seems best with almost every patch or model i use. If you want an example of how muffled it can sound try the supersonic cabs and don't use a lot of high end. The people that are saying it sounds muffled just are not using enough top end and too much low end. Just experiment. And don't forget to use the global EQ and see what that can do for you. I keep it set to low cut 1 to keep the amp from getting too boomy because it does have a lot of low end, too much IMO.

But in any case the key is to experiment. Any amp can sound muffled if you have it set for lots of lows and not enough top. Try lots of settings and cabs and always remember that if something doesn't sound good at first, rather than pass on it give it a chance and balance out whatever u don't like about it with another setting. As a simple if not obvious example, if a certain cab sounds good in many ways but is too bright, try using it but cutting highs with the treble and presence or bright switches if the model has those. Also experiment with models to find the ones u like best but try them all with the same cab sim to eliminate the cab as the reason for which models u like because the cab will radically change things and you want a comparison "with all else being equal" as the saying goes. Try the 412GB cab i mentioned. Finally, while the katana has one thing abnout it i feel is better, everything else about it IMO pales compared to the GT. The GTs biggest benefit as tone goes it it has better dynamics IMO. I had the katana artist for about a year but the lack of features and near no ability to tweak it w/o being hooked to a PC plus the lack of dynamics had me going back to the GT. I also switched back because the GT had then had a major update that made me like it much more., Partially if not mostly because the bassbreaker and friedman models they added i feel are better then any models it previously had for my type of tone. I generally use only those 2 and almost always the bassbreaker set to it's highest gain model but with the gain knob set to 1/2, which to me sounds a lot better then the medium gain version with the gain up high. That to me just sounds kind of dull. But if you mostly like clean tones i'd probably not use either of the ones i do and stick with the twin and deluxe models or other fender models.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:21 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi again

IMO if you dont have a lot of experience with electric guitar amps then i would bite the bullet and buy the GT40.
It will be far easier to play and get some great tones straight out of the box over other amps...thats just my opinion. Of the multitude of available presets you will be bound to find a few that you love straight away. It really is a great little amp.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:27 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

old wrote:
Thank you for your honest opinion.
The reason I'm inclined to get GT40 over Katana is firstly the size of this amp, which is considerably smaller and fits my room better, secondly a main factor is the patches that people have made and are available on Tone. I have no previous experience with electric guitar, all I have played is classical guitar, and have not idea how to set up the amp to the tone of a desired music (say, pink floyd, etc), but those patches should help, I hope.
Anyway, thank you for your advice.

I have both and think you'd be happy with either one. They each have their own advantages and I'm not sure that the tone of the Katana is appreciably better than the GT, at least not through headphones. But I picked up the Katana after breaking the headphone socket on two GT-40s so I would say that the Katana is the sturdier build.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:51 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you everybody for response. It's good to see there are so many people in this community who care.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:45 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The GT40 is not really a great comparison to the Katana 50 they are totally different amps. GT40 is more in the line of Katana AIR, Yamaha THR, Blackstar IDCore, etc. These all typically have smaller dual speaker setups which are FRFR. They are geared to not shake the paint of your walls and annoy your neighbors like a 12 inch speaker would.
Sure you can turn down the 12 inch to no annoy neighbors but speakers sound better when moving at their rated db sensitivity or close to it. These are all desktop amps as is the new Spark unit as well by BIAS.

If you want to compare to Katana 50 you would want to use the GT100. There really isn't a 50W Fender that is similar to the K50 unfortunately. However, it is way more in line with the larger GT's. The one thing to note though is that the GT's larger units with 12's have more range than a typical guitar speaker. The best way to test any amp is to bring your guitar to the local shop and try them out. I have the GT100 and have different patches for each guitar I own. I also have to change the Global EQ when using different guitars. The preloaded patches are typically all pretty bad representation. So starting with a clean patch then adding amp and fine tuning from there is the way to go really.

So the real question is do you want great sound at low volumes if so try out GT40, K-AIR, THR, etc. If you want to play with a band these really are not the best choices and would go with K50, K100, GT100, GT200, etc. I also prefer the sound of a 12 thus the GT100. However, if I was in a tight apartment living condition I would have went with the GT40 etc. Some other things to keep in mind is do you want full control over everything at the amp or do you mind using 3rd party apps to fine tune. The Katana's have a very simple amp interface and to get the most from them you need a PC and the app. The GT lineup you can control everything right at the amp and have full control without the need for the tablet/phone app.

All of those amps sound great with some tweaking really. Good luck on your choice and Happy New Year! :)

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:29 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

TorpidAnima wrote:
The GT40 is not really a great comparison to the Katana 50 they are totally different amps. GT40 is more in the line of Katana AIR, Yamaha THR, Blackstar IDCore, etc. These all typically have smaller dual speaker setups which are FRFR. They are geared to not shake the paint of your walls and annoy your neighbors like a 12 inch speaker would.
Sure you can turn down the 12 inch to no annoy neighbors but speakers sound better when moving at their rated db sensitivity or close to it. These are all desktop amps as is the new Spark unit as well by BIAS.

If you want to compare to Katana 50 you would want to use the GT100. There really isn't a 50W Fender that is similar to the K50 unfortunately. However, it is way more in line with the larger GT's. The one thing to note though is that the GT's larger units with 12's have more range than a typical guitar speaker. The best way to test any amp is to bring your guitar to the local shop and try them out. I have the GT100 and have different patches for each guitar I own. I also have to change the Global EQ when using different guitars. The preloaded patches are typically all pretty bad representation. So starting with a clean patch then adding amp and fine tuning from there is the way to go really.

So the real question is do you want great sound at low volumes if so try out GT40, K-AIR, THR, etc. If you want to play with a band these really are not the best choices and would go with K50, K100, GT100, GT200, etc. I also prefer the sound of a 12 thus the GT100. However, if I was in a tight apartment living condition I would have went with the GT40 etc. Some other things to keep in mind is do you want full control over everything at the amp or do you mind using 3rd party apps to fine tune. The Katana's have a very simple amp interface and to get the most from them you need a PC and the app. The GT lineup you can control everything right at the amp and have full control without the need for the tablet/phone app.

All of those amps sound great with some tweaking really. Good luck on your choice and Happy New Year! :)

Thank you, very informative. Have great 2020!