It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post subject: Re: Happened again
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:07 pm
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Be sure to clean any paste or liquid flux from the board. It is conductive and can cause all sorts of sound problems.
The lead free solder is difficult to flow for removal. Before sucking or wicking it, add a little regular solder and it will suck and wick much better.
There is no tone stack on the control board. That's digital. The controls have 3 volts dc on them, no audio. The master is the exception.
When you describe a change in audio quality, there is very little there to affect the sound like that. The one thing I can think of is a board that has not been properly cleaned from the factory. There is a whitish residue on many boards I have seen fresh from the factory. There are Vox amps that seriously affect the Master control until they are properly cleaned. If there is residue under the multi pin connector and you mess around with it, that may explain the changes. It is sensitive to humidity and moisture and this symptom can be exaggerated by blowing a moist breath over the area and listen for changes.

Fender Play Winter Sale 2020
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:43 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

The board at that pin connection was "eat off it" clean from the factory. If u read back a few posts i believe i mentioned cleaning it well from flux and stray bits of solder once u work on it for the reasons u stated. Once done mine was full of flux and solder bits that were only viable via an eye loupe and i cleaned it all well. Flux will indeed cause all sorts of noise issues especially. By the way, it wasn't me who mentioned the control board being the likely culprit, but with no schematic who knows what that cable might carry. As u mentioned the master is there. But w/o a schematic all i can say for sure is there were issues and this made a very noticeable difference. As u probably read i first determined it's gotta be there when i pressed on the cable and the issues ceased. At that point i'm not going assume anything as far as what goes where.

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:28 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Oh yea the old Hakko's I recall those a little. I just know I want a hot air gun rework station for sure. Just checking to see if I can get both in one station more for convenience really. Not even sure if I want to go new or used just know I want one for smc, pads, fine soldering. I've held off cause I do most with an old Jensen I've had for nearly 20 years now lol. Fine work sucks with an iron though and really need a rework station. Thanks for the heads up on the Hakko though for sure. Really interested in this ribbon cable find, would be great if it is the fix for the odd behavior (thin/drops/etc).

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here's another one of those "tonal inconsistencies" I've noticed...often after I check my tuning via the onboard tuner, I find the amp sounds better...and not because the guitar is more in tune or anything...even when done randomly, just to see if the tunings is off, and it's not, upon hitting that tuner button to return to amp mode...I find the amp sounding better....not everytime...but enough times for me to have noticed it...please tell me I'm imagining things...or I'll be checking my tuning more than I actually play the damn thing :)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:37 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, with all due respect. you DO seem to be prone to hearing things that may be placebo effect. If i'm wrong then ignore this, but didn't you also say that turning the noise reduction from pre to post changes the tone even when the noise reduction is set to off? And if i recall you also felt that you patches change tone when you turn the amp off and back on or when you play another patch then return to it? Something like that anyways. Now this tuner thing. So if it wasn't u ignore this, but if it was then i would suggest that you are experiencing placebo effect. It's not uncommon in fact it happens to everyone to some degree, but you need to be aware it does in order to learn how to recognize and deal with it.

So if those things were all things you have mentioned i would say yes, you are likely imagining it. Also note that all those things appear to be exclusive yo your amp. Others like me notice changing tone, but no one has been able to associate it with happen the changing of settings or patches, using the tuner etc. Again, all due respect, and if it wasn't u that mentioned all those things then ignore this post.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
Well, with all due respect. you DO seem to be prone to hearing things that may be placebo effect. If i'm wrong then ignore this, but didn't you also say that turning the noise reduction from pre to post changes the tone even when the noise reduction is set to off? And if i recall you also felt that you patches change tone when you turn the amp off and back on or when you play another patch then return to it? Something like that anyways. Now this tuner thing. So if it wasn't u ignore this, but if it was then i would suggest that you are experiencing placebo effect. It's not uncommon in fact it happens to everyone to some degree, but you need to be aware it does in order to learn how to recognize and deal with it.

So if those things were all things you have mentioned i would say yes, you are likely imagining it. Also note that all those things appear to be exclusive yo your amp. Others like me notice changing tone, but no one has been able to associate it with happen the changing of settings or patches, using the tuner etc. Again, all due respect, and if it wasn't u that mentioned all those things then ignore this post.

Of all the things I've mentioned, I will admit that the tuner thing could be my imagination...which is why i even phrased it as such...so yeah, maybe placebo...and it is admittedly a relatively subtle change. Not so, however, with the other things I've mentioned.

As for "exclusivity" of some of my amp problems...sure, if it were to happen to more people, it would lend them more credence...but the absence of (more) evidence is not evidence of absence...I've heard people complain of pretty unique issues about everything, from cars to tvs, mobiles, you name it...I've certainly never come across them personally...and in many cases I don't see a lot of " me too's "...But I wouldn't necessarily discount them right away either. Each and every product can & does produce weird stuff, which don't always show up in greater numbers.

All I can say is that this placebo thing hasn't happened to me previously. I mean as u mentioned placebo happens to everybody, me included. But they're usually short lived. I have played/owned many amps throughout the years including the Mustang 3v2. Was perfectly fine every single time I turned it on. Consistent tone. Except the tone was not as good as the GT on its good day.

Btw, I hear the NG pre & post affecting the tone , placebo or otherwise, but I must have mentioned that this happens only when it's "ON". No difference when it's off. But it's another one of those subtler changes.

The patches sounding different from time to time, until I turn a knob up & down a couple times followed by re-saving is not as subtle. Very noticeable to me.

But at the end of the day, I'm only stating these issues, not to argue for or against it. Just as perhaps another piece of the GT puzzle.

All good...

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:32 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I get that about the pre and post isf NR is on, but pretty sure either u said even when off or i asked and you said that because i remember thinking that shouldn't be and then and now i would be the first to say that pre or post could definately make a difference when on. I wouldn't have questioned it other wise. In any case of course that can make a difference because on way you are adding NR to the guitar and pedals, the other way to the amp gain. Could be nite and day.
By the way, the NR on the GT is actually very good and does very little to the tone which makes these amps great if you are a single coil user like me and end up playing somewhere with noisy wiring. It's a huge bonus for those gigging single coil guitars regularly. I don't use any HB guitars so i find it a great bonus.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:48 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Another one of those perhaps placebo instances is one I think u might have posted about here, and which I do concur with btw, since I also experienced it myself and probably mentioned it in a post...and that is after the last update, I felt the amp sounded better...but couldn't explain why...cuz Fender hadn't announced any particular tonal changes...if we go just by the numbers, it was rarely mentioned by other users online...I heard it...and obviously u did too...better 2 than 1 :)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:04 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yes, tho i am not sure if it sounded better in general or not because what i DID find is i like a couple of the new models in that update so much they are all i use now. And i like both a lot better then my previous fav, the bassman. Now when i try the bassman i don't like it at all. So it could be just that, tho i don't recall back then whether i heard the improvement when using the bassman or not. But i never used it after the update other then to hear what it sounded like compared to mt new favs, the bassbreaker and Friedman.

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
Yes, tho i am not sure if it sounded better in general or not because what i DID find is i like a couple of the new models in that update so much they are all i use now. And i like both a lot better then my previous fav, the bassman. Now when i try the bassman i don't like it at all. So it could be just that, tho i don't recall back then whether i heard the improvement when using the bassman or not. But i never used it after the update other then to hear what it sounded like compared to mt new favs, the bassbreaker and Friedman.

Now see that's one that I've had difficulty with...the Bassman...I ve heard people mention liking it....I've tried liking it...but since day 1....Nope....don't like the Bassman in the GT....

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I didn't like the bassman either....by itself. I ran it with the green box set as a clean boost. Otherwise the low end is pure mud. Also used the GB cab instead of the lousy sounding bassman cab. That fixes it right up, tho still the new BB model is much much better. The friedman is a not too distant 2nd and cleans up a bit prettier with the guitar volume.

The new GTX and the firmware from it that will be available for GT owners is supposed to have improved cab sims and a lot more models. If that improves tone as much or more than the models in the last update, then along with the improved cab and speaker we may just have a crazy good improved mustang. I can't stand the wait !

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

yeah...never liked the Bassman cab...But have put the Dual Showman model to a lot of good use
well, just 2 more weeks 2go in addition to the " 3 years " :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2