It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post subject: Re: Mustang GT 40 Sound Cuts Out
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:14 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yep, it's done it while both are off. Now i leave wifi on because no reason to turn it off. BT always off as i don't use it.

Fender Cyber Monday 2019
Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:42 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

TimsAudio wrote:
Ozcad, In earlier posts, you were complaining about black tarnish on jacks that make them fail. As much as it looks bad, I have been reassured by experienced field technicians that tarnish from silver plated jacks is not a problem. The tarnish is conductive.

Absolutely correct.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:06 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi folks, this might be something new to try. I turned off bluetooth and wifi and that didn't fix the issue, but I went into the USB settings in the menu and USB gain was set to +6B. I set it to 0DB and it hasn't happened since. Maybe it's the USB audio that is clipping and causing the sound to drop out.

I can't be sure it's not all three settings that seem to have fixed the issue but it's worth a try.

UPDATE! Sorry after a few days of not cutting out my amp did it again so this isn't the fix :-(

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Something you guys might try that hasn't been mentioned before;

So a while back, I was using my GT40 as a speaker to play a podcast from a computer, via a male to male 1/8th inch cable from my laptop to the aux input on the amp.

Afterward, I ended up unplugging the aux cable from my laptop, but left it plugged into the GT40, the cable just hanging out with the one side plugged into the AUX input on the amp, and nothing plugged into the other end.

For weeks, my amp was like this, and I played guitar on it here and there as I usually do, and didn't have any cut outs in the sound.

I didn't really put this correlation together until the other day; I unplugged the AUX cable from the amp since it wasn't being used, and after a short time playing guitar, the sound started cutting out just like before.

I plugged the AUX cable back into the amp, with the other end not plugged into anything, power cycled the amp, and so far it has not cut out again on subsequent play sessions.

As random as this issue has been for everyone, I am not convinced this is actually a fix yet, I pretty much expect it to start wigging out again, but so far it seems to have stopped the cutting out issue. (said that one before....)

Is there some kind of switching circuit that detects something physically plugged into the AUX jack that is possibly being falsely triggered intermittently via vibrations when nothing is plugged into the jack? Happening in a way that it triggers some kind of protection circuit? (brain storming)

I kind of feel like the boy who cried wolf with all this, but try it out fellas, its not like Fender is going to throw us a bone any time soon...

Last edited by jametheth on Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:33 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, as i said in another thread i hardwired one end (the more suspect end) of a ribbon cable i suspected after noticing the issue sometimes happened when wiggling it. And so far no dropous for about 4 days or so. But IF that wasn't it and it happens again i will plug a cable into the aux while the issue is happening and if thats it it should stop. I never thought to try the aux because you can still play thru the amp while using it, but i did suspect the headphone jack but that didn't seem to make any difference. So i'll give the aux a try if and when it happens again.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
But IF that wasn't it and it happens again i will plug a cable into the aux while the issue is happening and if thats it it should stop

I would also power cycle the amp at that point for good measure, it could possibly be triggering a digital fail safe that only clears after re-powering up.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

jametheth wrote:
oczad wrote:
But IF that wasn't it and it happens again i will plug a cable into the aux while the issue is happening and if thats it it should stop

I would also power cycle the amp at that point for good measure, it could possibly be triggering a digital fail safe that only clears after re-powering up.

That usually does the trick, but i don't do that unless i have to like if i am playing at an event or such. When it happens at home i usually want to try things to see if i can get it to stop w/o power cycling. Thats a fix but not one i want to have to do so i'd rather find another way if possible.

And as i said the fix i did on that ribbon cable could be the actual fix since 1)- it was doing it daily and has not since i did that, 2)-fender has said the issue was a ribbon cable not that i take anything they say as gospel, but it does help suggest the likelihood, and 3)-i was able to start/stop the issue one day by wiggling it. (tho other times that had no effect)

So we shall see, but rebooting that amp is a bandaid and not a satisfactory fix in a live situation, so a real fix is needed.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 pm
Amateur
Amateur

I’ve never had the cutting out issue with my GT-40, but after jametheth’s post, I realized that I always have a cable plugged into the aux input, because when I’m practicing to YouTube lessons, looping song segments with Capo, etc., I dislike the BT delay and plug my iPad directly into the aux. Not really a confirmation, but maybe a few drops of evidence...

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
rebooting that amp is a bandaid and not a satisfactory fix in a live situation, so a real fix is needed.

I just meant in the event that once the issue is occurring, if simply plugging in a cable to the AUX jack doesn't immediately make the issue go away, then you should leave it plugged in, power cycle the amp, and continue to monitor to determine if the problem ultimately is resolved.

There is the possibility that once it has started happening, the amp ultimately needs to be power cycled to clear the issue fully.

cthulhu wrote:
I’ve never had the cutting out issue with my GT-40, but after jametheth’s post, I realized that I always have a cable plugged into the aux input, because when I’m practicing to YouTube lessons, looping song segments with Capo, etc., I dislike the BT delay and plug my iPad directly into the aux. Not really a confirmation, but maybe a few drops of evidence...

That is good to hear, certainly some correlating if not supporting evidence.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, so far it's been about a week i think since i did that bypass job to the ribbon cable and it has not done it once. So i hope thats it, tho not so much for others because if it is many will not be able or willing to do that tedious job. But been playing it a lot and leaving it on all say and not a issue to be heard. I'll update at regular intervals, especially if it starts again.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

@oczad So has the ribbon cable solder fixed the dropping out completely? If so I am tempted to try hot glue to prevent movement with vibrations. Which I am guessing was the cause if indeed it has been gone since?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8