It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Mustang master volume
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:29 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Does anyone have a preference or hear a difference in tone with different positions on the master volume? With the gt 40 being an amp for the house I tend to leave mine half way and use the volume for each preset to adjust it.

Fender Play April 2019
Post subject: Re: Mustang master volume
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:37 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I find no difference in tone with the interaction between the preset's regular volume and the physical master knob on the amp. With the preset volume down a bit and the physical master up higher i find the sound the same if you achieve the same volume with the opposite scenario. However, the one volume knob that DOES affect the tone is the virtual master that some of the presets have. Not all have it but whenever you are using a model with a preset master you will find that with that cranked and the regular preset volume set to the loudness you want the tone will be less compressed sounding and brighter/crunchier, while achieving the same volume level by cranking the regular preset volume and lowering the preset master gives a smoother less bright attack that feels more compressed. Much like a real tube amp with the master down a bit. So what i generally do is set the master somewhere between 2:00 and full up depending on the sound i want then set the regular volume on 10 and use the physical master on the amp to set the overall volume for the situation, gig or home or whatever.

However, i generally use only one model 95% of the time. But if i were to use others for a gig for example, i would have to do it a bit different since some models are a lot louder then others. In that case whichever model that i use that has the lowest overall volume, i would set that ones regular vol on 10 and probably even the master on 10 unless it really needs that more smooth tone and then i might leave the master a bit lower. Then the other models i use that are louder i would set the preset master where i like the tone and lower the regular volume till that preset is the same volume level as the other preset when i switch presets. This may all be a bit hard to understand but i think if it is, reading it a few times you will get the gist of it.

One more thing.....when the preset master is set lower than 10 by a notable amount, you will find the sag has a greater effect. In fact, with the master at say 3:00 or even lower you will find the sag control does little to nothing. The lower the master the less u will notice it till at some point it will seem to do nothing at all. I think that occurs somewhere between 2 and 3:00. Turn the preset master to 10 and the sag then has a huge effect one some models. I personally don't like sag tho. I like the feel but it kills dynamics. So rather then turn the master to 10 and adding sag, i prefer to leave the sag minimal (the "less" setting) and turn the master down a bit and that tends to give a similar sag feel in the attack but without killing dynamics. If i want a more clear crunchy sound with he best dynamics i will keep the master on 10 and no sag.

This is MY findings and note that i generally use a overdriven tone and roll back my guitar's volume for cleaner tones. If you use clan amp settings mostly you may find the results i described much less pronounced. And of course models with no preset master obviously do not apply.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:33 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the reply. Yes I found the same when using the virtual master on say the 80s amp. I’ve had this amp since they first came out and I’m still finding new things playing round with each amp. Didn’t know about the sag and the master volume so may play around with that one cheers.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:04 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, the point about the sag is very interesting, I had noticed in the past that sag had almost no effect on some amp models but had never made the connection with the preset master volume. Thanks!
PB

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:56 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

One i have yet to figure out is bias....it seems to do nothing on some models no matter where any of the volumes are set. If it indeed does nothing why make it more confusing by even having a bias setting on those models where it does nothing?!
Imagine how many users never figure a lot of these things out ! Would be nice if they wrote a manual on how the controls work beyond the obvious. I find it amazing they sell a product with so many possibilities and next to nothing on details like this. Fender is not the only one tho, many if not most manufacturers do the same.

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

That's interesting, Ozcad, about the preset Master Sag only operating at max volume. The Master control is the only analog control in the unit, so the software can't read where it is set. So it needs a preset Master to see when you want to dial in the sag because it only occurs at max volume.
In a normal amp, sag thins out the tone a bit and there is a rippling 60-cycle buzz as the power supply overloads and can't filter enough DC. It should be easy to digitally emulate the thinning, But the ripple? That would be harder to sucessfully emulate.
On an analog amp, bias raises the gain of the main stage and mechanical feedback is easier to acheive. Standing in front of the Speaker and sustaining the note is easy if you have an analog amp. With a digital amp, there is a 1.5 milisecond delay, so feedback is more difficult to acheive. Maybe you should try that... with earplugs.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:34 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thing is, u can hear if it's working or not w/o playing a note. The models it works on when you roll the bias up and down it hums more as you turn it just like a tube amp. And it's very obvious. On the models where it doesn't work theres nothing. -50 to +50, nothing. No difference at either extreme.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:12 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thats too ironic. There would be no residual hum from the switching power supply, so they must have a digital hum generator on board. We go to every effort to reduce amp hum just so Fender can emulate it back in. Too funny, but there should be an increase in gain to accompany the extra hum.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 am
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

It wouldn't be the first time. This abomination (below) had something similar. It's the only Boss product I've ever had that I didn't like.

They programmed it to make the "chirp" sound you hear from a spring reverb when you play really loud and the vibrations shake the springs. But they programmed it in a way that was random. So you're not even hitting a note sometimes and you'd get a chirp like someone kicked your amp.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Maybe modeling these days is done via profiling like kemper where it captures everything including things that are not necessarily desirable. I can tell you some things that are undesirable as tone goes like low end flab on some vintage fenders is present in the modeled versions in the GT.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:44 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I think those parameters are discrete, not part of a sampler. That would be the only way to separate them out for adjustment.
The low end flab would be from the silverface presets... It's not Mustang's fault. Fender built em that way.