It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post subject: Re: Mustang GT 40 Sound Cuts Out
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a GT 200 that arrived yesterday. Latest firmware updated but sound cuts out quite often! WTF!

Fender Play April 2019
Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Mitchrob wrote:
Thanks for the response. In terms of risk of shock when working inside the amp, a solid state modeling amp would be different than a tube amp in terms of capacitors, right? if you unplug one of these electronic amps and open it up, what safety measures do you need to take?

Right. There are no high voltage caps. As long as it isn't plugged in you're fine.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Some switching power supplies will store voltage in the primary capacitors. This can be 150 vdc. Not enough to kill, but it sure can surprise a screwdriver. Just remove your metal rings before you poke a finger in there.

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Been away for a week and when i got home turned it on and cutting out again. Gonna pull the chassis tonite or tomorrow and chopstick all possible cables etc. To those who don't know chopsticking, it's a testing procedure where u take a non conductive stick like a plastic pen or such and push on various suspect areas while the amp is on and listening for the issue. For example, If it is a ribbon cable causing the cut out as fender has said, pushing on while sustaining a note it should cause it to start cutting out, or if it's already cutting out it should stop. Any time it;s an issue with a connection, and i am positive this is, this is about 90% effective in finding the issue. I will post back if i find it and take some pics to show the culprit and how to fix it.

For Tim.... if the cable is of the type below i know how to fix them. It entails seperating the 2 halves of the plugs and cutting out the end of the cable to reveal a new end to push the halves back together on. Problem is as u likely know, with these it's not a matter of if but WHEN they will go intermittent again. My question to you is do you know of another of the same type that's more reliable?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

SailaV wrote:
I have a GT 200 that arrived yesterday. Latest firmware updated but sound cuts out quite often! WTF!

My advice is to return it ASAP. Get a new one. I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't a serious issue and let my guitarcenter return window close. This will not get better unless you can do a complicated fix like others are describing. If you have their skill level, then great. If not, you will not likely be able to have it fixed elsewhere. Easiest thing is to return it and start over with a new one (return that one, too, if it doesn't work).

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Well, as i said i would above, i spent probably 2 hours chopsticking the H out of the thing and inspecting it with a fine tooth comb and i could not recreate the issue at all. So it's a tricky one. I'm beginning to think it is a digital issue even tho i have been able to stop it from cutting out by dropping the amp to the floor to jolt any bad connections. That typically denotes a connector issue or a bad solder joint, the latter being impossible to find in a amp like this vs a tube amp. But i'm pretty clueless when it comes to digital and how issues can manifest. So guess i'll just live with it and hope it continues to sound as great as it did last time out which i attributed to having re seated and cleaning all the internal connectors. Maybe the cutting out is NOT related to the intermittent tone quality issues, who the f knows. I just wish fender would redesign a reliable version with quality hardware and figure out if the firmware is part of the issue and fix that too. I'd buy it even tho at this point i should be boycotting fender after what i've been thru with this thing.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yeah, and to make matters worse a rep said they fixed the issues and it was a ribbon cable. So much for honesty. I actually figuired that was likely BS on that when i first heard it. I know how these things are handled. Fender is no different than any other company when trying to cover thier azz.
Mitchrob wrote:
SailaV wrote:

My advice is to return it ASAP. Get a new one. I made the mistake of thinking it wasn't a serious issue and let my guitarcenter return window close. This will not get better unless you can do a complicated fix like others are describing. If you have their skill level, then great. If not, you will not likely be able to have it fixed elsewhere. Easiest thing is to return it and start over with a new one (return that one, too, if it doesn't work).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7