It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: another request
Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Make the tuner on/off function either only available by pushing the tap button and NOT via the button #3 footswitch. Why? Because whenever i play live i tend to step on a button and leave my foot on it for a few seconds. Not intentionally but it's hard to remember to pull my foot off the button immediately when u r trying to concentrate on playing or playing and singing. Just played a 4th or july gig where 5 or 6 times during the night my sound cut out because it went into tuner mode when i left my foot on the button too long. I don't expect this will ever happen but i thought i'd request it anyways because it's embarrassing to say the least. Especially in a 3 piece band where theres no 2nd guitar of keys to keep it going when i cut out for a few seconds. This is IMO a serious issue just like the looper was till fender fixed that. I see no reason that the FS needs to be used for the tuning function, but like the looper how about a menu item to turn the tuner function to work only with the tap button for those who experience the same issue i did.
On a side note, amp sounded not just great, but phenomenal, and for the first time since i have had it. I think i know why but i'm not certain. Another player (great player too) who sat in tried my amp and was seriously blown away. There was also a bassman there and he later used that but we both thought the GT sounded better ! I always knew this amp was capable of great tone but this was the first time it was anywhere near this good sounding. It was like a whole different amp than all the other times i have used it live.

Fender Play November 2019
Post subject: Re: another request
Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
Make the tuner on/off function either only available by pushing the tap button and NOT via the button #3 footswitch. Why? Because whenever i play live i tend to step on a button and leave my foot on it for a few seconds. Not intentionally but it's hard to remember to pull my foot off the button immediately when u r trying to concentrate on playing or playing and singing. Just played a 4th or july gig where 5 or 6 times during the night my sound cut out because it went into tuner mode when i left my foot on the button too long. I don't expect this will ever happen but i thought i'd request it anyways because it's embarrassing to say the least. Especially in a 3 piece band where theres no 2nd guitar of keys to keep it going when i cut out for a few seconds. This is IMO a serious issue just like the looper was till fender fixed that. I see no reason that the FS needs to be used for the tuning function, but like the looper how about a menu item to turn the tuner function to work only with the tap button for those who experience the same issue i did.
On a side note, amp sounded not just great, but phenomenal, and for the first time since i have had it. I think i know why but i'm not certain. Another player (great player too) who sat in tried my amp and was seriously blown away. There was also a bassman there and he later used that but we both thought the GT sounded better ! I always knew this amp was capable of great tone but this was the first time it was anywhere near this good sounding. It was like a whole different amp than all the other times i have used it live.

What's your speaker now?

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Same as it's been for a long while, celestion G12T-100. (renamed by celestion to the "hot 100")

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

phruzao wrote:
[quote="oczad"

I went from a Mustang III v2 - a highly-regarded modelling amp - to the GT100...and have never looked back...not even a little "peek" in the rearview mirror...IMHO, it's the best sounding modeling outside the fractal and its ilk, which admittedly, I've never owned...But the GT is bright, punchy, deep, flexible...in fact, it's the best all around amp I've ever owned, all things considered...U know what? It's actually the best "100" amps I've ever owned...the sheer volume of sounds I get out of this thing is incredible....and I've had quite a few transistor & tube...plus maybe every floor pedal imaginable...nothing's come close...

And now the bad news: from its Tone app to its on-board software, the GT is the most "flawed" amp ever...unintuitive unreliable soft- and hardware (FS)...fidgety knobs...I could go on & on....but let me get straight to its biggest flaw...simply put, it does not retain settings/parameters consistently...I'll give u an example, say u create a patch and then hit "save"...u would think you're done...well, think again...next time u bring up that very same patch, chances are it's going to sound different...and always worse, btw....initially, b4 I figured out what was going on, I blamed the amp - which I believe is also actually at the source of a lot of the negative reviews, because people are not aware of this shortcoming - and what makes it difficult to pinpoint is that the parameter settings don't match the sound but nobody ever questions the actual settings "validity" itself...so you naturally conclude that the amp sux....

Put another way, lets say you have treble up all the way in your patch "visually"....but what you actually "hear" coming out of the amp is a much more muffled tone, which doesn't correspond with the treble setting...not questioning the actual setting itself, u blame the amp......but what u need to do is to move the treble knob back & forth a little, or any other knob even, and then reset it to the setting you intended originally...this will "resurrect" your initial patch and it will then sound as it should...

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Yeah, i remember u talking about that b4. Mine never did that but it's done many other things. I believe i may have found and fixed the main issue tho which i think is the source of the issue with volume cutting out and other sound issues i have experienced live volume changes from one day to the next and tone changes where the amp will fade in and out of a muddy state while playing. It will take another outing or 3 to be sure but the sound i was getting at that 4th of july party was incredible and all sonic issues were gone and replaced by the biggest fattest richest sound this amp has ever displayed by a mile. I would literally put it up against some of my fav tube amps i have owned and it would compare quite favorably. If indeed i have fixed the issue i will be keeping this amp for a very long time assuming nothing breaks that can't be fixed. I will tell you this tho....w/o a doubt this amps Achilles's heel are those god forsaken pin connectors inside the amp.

The issue you have is a digital control issue of some kind and if it's out of warranty i'd still call fender and ask for a replacement because they owe us consumers that much for the horribly flawed amp this was and still is for some. I assume you have done a forced update to see if that rectifies it? (forced it to overwrite the firmware with the same lastest version thats in it now)

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:05 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oczad wrote:
Yeah, i remember u talking about that b4. Mine never did that but it's done many other things. I believe i may have found and fixed the main issue tho which i think is the source of the issue with volume cutting out and other sound issues i have experienced live volume changes from one day to the next and tone changes where the amp will fade in and out of a muddy state while playing. It will take another outing or 3 to be sure but the sound i was getting at that 4th of july party was incredible and all sonic issues were gone and replaced by the biggest fattest richest sound this amp has ever displayed by a mile. I would literally put it up against some of my fav tube amps i have owned and it would compare quite favorably. If indeed i have fixed the issue i will be keeping this amp for a very long time assuming nothing breaks that can't be fixed. I will tell you this tho....w/o a doubt this amps Achilles's heel are those god forsaken pin connectors inside the amp.

The issue you have is a digital control issue of some kind and if it's out of warranty i'd still call fender and ask for a replacement because they owe us consumers that much for the horribly flawed amp this was and still is for some. I assume you have done a forced update to see if that rectifies it? (forced it to overwrite the firmware with the same lastest version thats in it now)

Yes, I did the forced update...did not fix the issue.

that being said, I think it was after the last update quite a while back, when I began noticing a change in the amp's tone for the better...way better, that is...kind of like the V1 to V2 jump in the previous Mustangs...don't know why that is....because I don't think the update was meant to change the fundamental tone of the amp...but the amp sure sounded better after the update...

One other thing, which I've mentioned several times before here as well: the "default" setting for all the many amp models is not doing the GT any favors tone-wise...in the old Mustangs the default Sag was set to "matched", which did get the best tone out of most of the amp models...in the GT, however, that's not the case, IMO...U have to start out on "less" to get the best tone...unfortunately, each time u wanna audition a new amp model, or simply begin creating a new patch from scratch...the sag setting reverts to "matched"...but one can often forget to check the sag settings...and thus ends up with an inferior-sounding model....once again concluding that the GT itself lacks for tone...

while at it, and weirdly enough, I feel that u gotta have the noise gate "ON" all the time set to "low" and "post" at the very least...again, it does something to the sound of the amp...though this last bit, could be just my imagination...

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I remember u saying that thing about the gate too, but i tried it and couldn't hear any difference. So it may be your imagination or maybe thats another issue with yours. But mine doesn't have it. As to the sag settings, i long ago realized i like it on less and thats one of the things i always do when trying changing models in a patch. That and cab if i want to change that which i do 99% of the time. I never forget to do that. I do wish you could set your own defaults but not much of an issue for me because i tend to find what i like and use that one patch all the time, so i don't often change the model within a patch.