It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post subject: Re: How are you all liking the sounds of your Mustang GTs no
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I know....to be fair most of the poor reviews were when the amp first came out...so possibly down to firmware bugs....Love this amp.
Not got around to streaming backing tracks through it yet as having too much fun with the models :)

Fender Play February 2019
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:53 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

As i have said before i was going to sell mine till the V2 firmware came out so i could try it. Tried it and still was going to sell it. But i decided to try another speaker because as i have also said before, the stock one utterly ruins the amp at high volume and even low it;s not quite right. I also said how i have tried a celestion 100 and a EV and both helped but it still wasn't quite good enough. Both were 8 oms tho and the amp wants 4. So before i sold it i decided to try a 4 ohm celestion 100 and lo and behold it sounded much better. More so it FEELS better and the top end that was so strident before is now much more natural. So i have decided to keep it for now till i have a chance to do a jam with it and see just how good it fares. (or not) But it sounds so much better which i attribute to the output section not losing about 60% of it's power with a 8 ohm speaker and therefore not adding unpleasant distortion. In any case this is the best it;s sounded and felt since i got it and i very well may keep it. Mainly due to the speaker but i also FAR prefer 2 of the new models to anything previously, the Friedman and the bluesbreaker. Both sounded much better when i first updated to V2 but not good enough to keep the am till i got the 4 ohm G12T-100. Fender should have put this speaker or something similarly as good in it to begin with ! Nite and day would be the way i'd describe it.

2 issues remain tho...1-the EXP pedal does not work properly. Yes, in SOME cases it might like straight up volume control and nothing more, but even then the LEDs don't always light up the right way. (both on at same time, neither on, etc etc) Tho even there i find bugs. And 2-i can't believe how bad the knob acceleration is on many settings even after fender has professed to have fixed them. Some are jaw dropping bad......too fast and they just stall out or go the opposite way or just shake wildly w/o moving either way. Too slow and it can take 30 or more twists to get from 0 to 10. It's unbelievable they don't or won't fix this. I have never owned any amp with so many bugs. I appreciate fender's work to date fixing other bugs, adding things like EQs, and updating the models. But seriously, these bugs are unacceptable. At the very least change the fender site so that you no longer say the EXP1 works with the GT if u aren't going to fix it. I can only imagine how many people have bought one only to find it unusable. I've read a few saying that but i don't think many have the EXP1 or i imagine there would be a epidemic of complaints. Well, in any case I have always said the modeling is good but suffers due to the speaker and possibly the output section and/or cab, and with the new speaker i'm happy to say it sounds and even more importantly FEELS far better. Anxious to see how it holds up in a band mix.

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Interesting stuff re. changing the unit.

So, when Fender say the unit in the GT range is "special"... why is that? Is it special because its ok for streaming music through it via the bluetooth? Or "special" because its especially tuned to work well with their modelling?

I'd be interested in changing the unit if it improved things. I'm not worried about streaming music through it but I would like to be assured the amp modelling would still be "right".

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

What they mean is it's a special design made for them by celestion. What makes it special besides the fact it's made exclusively for the GT is that it's a compromise between guitar tone and streaming music. In other words, a jack of all trades, master of none. Celestion told me it's essentially a celestion 70/80 designed to handle a few more watts. look up reviews of that speaker and you'll see it's very telling. Of all the speakers i have looked at reviews for that one has the largest amount of negative reviews. IMO it's the worse speaker i have ever heard for guitar. It utterly ruins the amp's capabilities which are otherwise impressive after V2 and with the right speaker.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thank you.

I'd be interested in your results with a band too. I'm not in a position to spend huge amounts on amps and lots of pedals so this amp seemed like an ideal solution. The speaker you suggest isn't beyond my reach though, so if it made a difference and improved things then I'd go for it.

Anybody else tried fitting a new speaker?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

oczad wrote:
Celestion told me it's essentially a celestion 70/80 designed to handle a few more watts. look up reviews of that speaker and you'll see it's very telling. Of all the speakers i have looked at reviews for that one has the largest amount of negative reviews. IMO it's the worse speaker i have ever heard for guitar.

the Celestion speaker was a big selling point for me, but now I know - they make some real trash. Those speakers didn't elevate the Fender product line, they damaged Celestion's reputation.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:01 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You know, for every piece of gear no matter how good or bad there are people on both sides of the fence with respect to liking or hating it. So all i can tell you is what MY experience is. First thing to remember if you change the speaker is do NOT evaluate it until you completely re-tweak your patches to sound best with the new speaker because the difference is significant and settings that work with the stock speaker likely won't sound great with a different and typical guitar speaker. My take on it is that with the stock speaker the am didn't sound and more importantly FEEL like a real tube amp at all. Now it both sounds and feels like on to the point i doubt i could tell blindfolded. If u decide to try it all i can tell you is like i said i have seen people hate items that are almost unanimously loved by the majority of the online payer community, so i have no idea what u will think. If it helps, my personal way of using amps is to get a good vintage style drive sound with an amount of drive that will clean up well when i roll the guitar down to 4-5 with a strat or tele with treble bleed caps installed. As to what to get, thats not something i can comment on other then to say i think the G12T-100 (now called the "hot 100" after celestion changed the same but its the same speaker) is a great choice thats not real colored so it gives a good balance that works well with the fender IMO. The other thing that to me screams "proper speaker" for this amp is that with the stock speaker the settings like treble and presence and any setting that controls brightness all had to be set low to be usable. With the G12T-100 the sound is quite balanced with everything at noon the way it should be. Then you can just fine tube from there. This is especially true at volume where the stock speaker sounds bright to the point of being harsh and feels stiff. To me it makes the amp sound and feel very solid state to sounding like a chewey balanced tube amp. Lastly, consider this.....there are hoards of people that still say the old mustang line still sounds better. That amp came with a G12T-100 ! Coincidence? I think not.

dalek501 wrote:
Interesting stuff re. changing the unit.

So, when Fender say the unit in the GT range is "special"... why is that? Is it special because its ok for streaming music through it via the bluetooth? Or "special" because its especially tuned to work well with their modelling?

I'd be interested in changing the unit if it improved things. I'm not worried about streaming music through it but I would like to be assured the amp modelling would still be "right".

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Wow oczad, sounds like you made a breakthrough with your last speaker swap. I still have my GT200 and use it a lot for practicing. Does the G12T-100 speaker make a decent difference at bedroom-to-basement volumes? I'm trying to decide if throwing a couple hundred dollars at my GT is worth it, or if I should just wait for the next big modelling amp to come out, or maybe look into a Helix?

GDEC (traded in for the 3/30

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Like i said above, realistically i can't tell you that anything i experience will translate to you or anyone else. To me it seems unfathomable that anyone would not find the swap a huge improvement but then that's just MY thinking. It means nothing really because all i can tell is what it does for me and there are plenty of people who hate gear that i love. There always is. It's your call as the whether u wanna risk it, and with 2 speakers it's double the risk. Like with anything that can't be returned you take that risk. Thats why it took so long. If like with a guitar or amp you could go to guitar center and buy a speaker then return it if you don't like it i;d have tried a ton long ago. But i only tried what i already had which were 8 ohms and a WGS that i bought which WAS 4 but was a rather dull speaker. It may have sounded fine with V2 tho, i don't know. What the real breakthrough was for me was V2 AND a good 4 ohm speaker, not one or the other. If i had to use the old models i'd still be ready to sell it even with this current speaker.

As far as volume, the speaker definately sounds far better than the stock one IMO. (of course so does any speaker even 8 ohms ! ) But the real test is in a band mix because no matter how it sounds loud, it's really how it sounds loud in a mix where it's competing with the rest of the band. Thats the real test and i have no idea till i try if it will be great or fail. I have high hopes but i have had high hopes dashed more then a few times in this scenario.

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:37 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just received my GT200 and very happy with it. Have updated the firmware and presets to v2.0.25. I particularly like the clean presets (I am not a fan of very high gain/metal) and I especially like the preset "Life is Beautiful." Superb.

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So I'm one of the, I guess, rare cats who've really liked the GT from the get-go soundwise....and that's coming from the Mustang III v2, which I thought highly of, btw....that said, I do concur with all the negative reviews regarding everything else...i.e. software, FS, tone app, etc....oh, and most importantly, the apparent "inability" of the GT to properly/consistently save your own patches...the other big failing of the amp, IMHO, which I've detailed in previous posts, is the "default" settings, which do not highlight the amp's true capabilites...caution: lets say you wanna choose other amps to audition instead of the one already saved in a given preset....the new amp chosen will not "reproduce" the previous amp's settings...like if u had sag @ less....the amp being auditioned will revert back to its default setting, most likely being "matched"....which can make a big difference in the end result...and perhaps thus influencing your opinion of the GT....even I occassionally forget to check for this...admittedly though, the true test of any amp is in a live setting...unfortunately, it just happens that I haven't had as many opportunities as b4 to test it as such...

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

tele-de-fender wrote:
So I'm one of the, I guess, rare cats who've really liked the GT from the get-go soundwise....and that's coming from the Mustang III v2, which I thought highly of, btw....that said, I do concur with all the negative reviews regarding everything else...i.e. software, FS, tone app, etc....oh, and most importantly, the apparent "inability" of the GT to properly/consistently save your own patches...the other big failing of the amp, IMHO, which I've detailed in previous posts, is the "default" settings, which do not highlight the amp's true capabilites...caution: lets say you wanna choose other amps to audition instead of the one already saved in a given preset....the new amp chosen will not "reproduce" the previous amp's settings...like if u had sag @ less....the amp being auditioned will revert back to its default setting, most likely being "matched"....which can make a big difference in the end result...and perhaps thus influencing your opinion of the GT....even I occassionally forget to check for this...admittedly though, the true test of any amp is in a live setting...unfortunately, it just happens that I haven't had as many opportunities as b4 to test it as such...

Not so rare. I love mine too. Maybe we just don't post as much as those who aren't happy.

btw. I have never had any trouble saving patches. I wonder what we do differently?

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

[/quote]
Not so rare. I love mine too. Maybe we just don't post as much as those who aren't happy.

btw. I have never had any trouble saving patches. I wonder what we do differently?[/quote]

I don't have any problems saving my patches...it's when I go back to said patches that I hear the problem....in that they don't sound like they should....and upon closer examination, I usually discover that the saved parameters have changed for some reason...strangely, even if "visually", the knobs and whatnot do not indicate any change....

I usually have to just move a knob back & forth to restore the previous settings - if I'm lucky, that is - or a alternatively, to start over setting up my patch again....

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:46 pm
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

tele-de-fender wrote:
I don't have any problems saving my patches...it's when I go back to said patches that I hear the problem....in that they don't sound like they should....and upon closer examination, I usually discover that the saved parameters have changed for some reason...strangely, even if "visually", the knobs and whatnot do not indicate any change....

I usually have to just move a knob back & forth to restore the previous settings - if I'm lucky, that is - or a alternatively, to start over setting up my patch again....

I had a similar issue where the sound would change tho i didn't notice parameters being different than i had them. So i;d make a identical patch in another slot from scratch rather then copying it and compare the 2 and they sounded different with ALL parameters exactly the same ! But that was a LONG time ago on one of the first firmware versions. Fender asked me to send it to them to see if they could figure out what was going on and they were to send me a new one. They sent the old one back ad the rep as much as told me i was lying or wrong about it. Long story but in any case that was pretty much when i realized fender didn't give a F about me as a customer. Hence my telling it like it is here. In any case the had me send it back a second time when it was doing a bunch of other weird stuff and they then did send me a new one. But it still had many of the same issues, almost all of which were to go away with future updates. The one they try and fix in every version and still haven't is the knob acceleration. It's so wacked there are settings that should take a 2 second twist of a dial that take me 30 seconds to get to the setting i want. Turn it too slow and it might take 50 twists of the fingers to go from 1 to 10. Too fast and it goes there instantly and no way to stop at the number u want. And theres absolutely no in between ! I can't believe they then say it;s fixed in thier firmware bug list. I must say at this point I'm finally digging the amp after almost 2 years and the right speaker, but what a fiasco this amp has been !

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've had a similar experience copying patches..."identical" presets just sounding different somehow...or as I mentioned b4, patches not sounding right despite what the knobs indicate...requiring re-tweaking...it seems that it takes the GT several "tries" before a certain preset is finally saved for good...or at least, for a good while until such time it changes again for no reason...other than that, yes weird stuff galore since day 1, including knob acceleration problem, which is still not fixed...but the one thing that has kept me sticking with the GT has been its sound...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next