It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How are you all liking the sounds of your Mustang GTs now?
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm
Amateur
Amateur

After 2.0, mine is like an all new amp to me. I love all the BassBreaker sounds. Love the HB amp as well as the IIc also. The 2290 delay is pretty stellar along with the Klon drive. If you haven't yet tried it, stick the sustain effect in front of one of your favorite amps. You may just really dig it!

Fender Play December 2018
Post subject: Re: How are you all liking the sounds of your Mustang GTs no
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm
Roadie
Roadie

Even though mine is still the original first release firmware etc,
I like the sound capabilities. Made a dozen presets last week.
It's good to hear that there are solid improvements
to look forward to. I use the GT40 with a variety
of software effects, so I haven't gone wild making sounds,
but in time off around the holidays, there are a couple
dozen more sounds to make, clean, crunch and rock leads
each focussing on some classic effect combos.
Gonna be fun. My Mustang I hack-rack has three week presets
that can be replaced, time to reinstall Fuse and have at it.

I'm also looking for a local Spider V 30, to make another
poor-mans rack, so I have another way to craft sounds,
but using a proper computer editor.
Cheers

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Mine is for sale. After V2 i tried everything and even bought a 4 ohm celestion 100 watt for it in hopes that would help after liking the amp much better with a 8 ohm one i had. I hoped the extra volume and headroom of the proper load would help but not much. When i turn the amp up it just gets harsh, still and the low end becomes a real problem. I think it's the power amp, but at stage volume the bass is either too little or too much and i cannot find a in between. I have to turn it down or the lows just lose it in a bad way. Turn it down just till the problem is gone and then it sounds tinny for lack of lows. Tried everything including EQ's cutting the 80hz band and adding bass elsewhere in the low range, tried global bass cut 1 and 2. I just cannot get it right no matter what. Thats and the very stiff and somewhat harsh high mids/treble when loud just makes this a low volume practice amp for me, and my katana does that just fine, much better in fact. Plus at gig levels it thrives. It's a good amp at low home volumes but since i don't need a amp dedicated to that it's on it's way out. This may not be an issue for everyone, as it;s somewhat dependent on the type of sound you use. But for the sound i have used for near 1/2 century thru countless amps, the GT just cannot do it even at lower stage volumes. So the GT is finally out of here. I gave it every chance including 4 different speakers and even 2x12 via ext cab with 8 ohm speakers to total 4 ohms but it just doesn't come close at all to cutting it as a gig amp for me. The katana just beats it in so many ways aa tone goes it's not even close. But with the GT's far better functionality it's too bad the tone doesn't cut it because the functionality would make it a great amp. One more thing...the GT's build quality is not remotely close to the katana or most any amp i have owned including the old mustang. What was fender thinking? The grill cloth looks like a bedsheet. The fact it's plywood is nice but everything else is cheezy compared to my katana artist which by comparison looks boutique.

Lots of wasted time with this amp so i will be glad to see it go. I love fender for it's guitars, I won't even play anything else even preferring then to high else fender clones. I'm dedicated to them through and through and have been for decades. But IMO fender has a lot of homework to do when it comes to modeling amps. They got very close with the old mustang line but then instead of the GT being a upgrade i felt it was the opposite as far as making a giggable amp. May as well keep the 40 in the line and cut the 100/200 and start working on a real giggable line. Just MO.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I swapped some speakers/ cabs and spent way too much time dialing things in but eventually got what I wanted at any volume. I had to tune different presets for Stage vs other and that seemed to do the trick for me. The last upgrades were Icing on the Cake and I needed the backup function. I still have quite a few way too heavy Fenders and other amps to do A-B tone testing all the time and also spent time with a Katana. I'm good with the GT100 for a few more years while I wait for the next great amp (AAS is related to GAS). I might be ready to spring for a backup so let me know if yours is still for sale somewhere.

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

for once can I just read a post about the mustang GT, without the word Katan being used????

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Thibodud wrote:
for once can I just read a post about the mustang GT, without the word Katan being used????

+1, you don't see that kind of stuff happening over on the Boss Katana forum. :lol:

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am
Amateur
Amateur

I was pretty happy with mine from the beginning - I bought a GT40 about a month after they were released - but i am pleased with how Fender has continued to evolve the functionality. Of course, one can argue plausibly that the amp shouldn’t have been released in an incomplete state, but I feel that I got my money’s worth all along. I was looking for a significant practice amp improvement over my beloved THR10C, and got it, for $250 (the THR10C cost $300 brand new in 2014). Right away, I had four marvelous new tones that the THR10C couldn’t match - the ‘59 Tweed Bassman, the ‘57 Tweed Deluxe, the ‘57 Tweed Twin, and the Hiwatt DR103. (Yes, I like tweeds, and I don’t care about high gain amps.) And excellent stomps too, a big weakness of the THR10 series. As I said, just what I wanted - more tweeds and blackfaces, plus the DR103, plus the AC30, plus lots of pre- and post-effects, plus the looper (once I bought the pedal), and, once the October 2017 firmware update hit, some very usable EQ. And then the v2 gave me the Klon plus the BB15. Pretty much the only things left on my wish list are a rotary speaker effect and a true iPad app.

Who knows, maybe I should have bought a Katana, and then maybe I’d be twice as happy with it. Or not. Surely there are people who are having problems with the Mustang GTs - the shutdown issues, the pedal glitches, to me point to maybe some tolerance stack up problems that may or may not be fixable in firmware. These problems seem to be affecting a small minority of users, but they shouldn’t be happening at all. But in the last year - the October 2017 firmware, then the v2 firmware in September 2018, and associated Tone app releases - it seems to me that the core functionality has pretty much stabilized into what is a darned good amp at the price points. If I were looking for a gigging amp, I would definitely be auditioning a GT200 (I like cabs with multiple speakers too).

Would I be happier with an amp wall consisting of a tweed Bassman, a tweed Deluxe, a blackface Deluxe, and a blackface Vibrolux? Well, who wouldn’t? But that’s not in the cards right now, so the GT40 gives me enough of what I want so that I’m content with what I have, at a spouse-friendly budget and SWaP. I think that’s a good place to be. 8)

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

cthulhu wrote:
Pretty much the only things left on my wish list are a rotary speaker effect

Have you not tried the built-in vibratone modulation effect?

From the manual:

Quote:
Vibratone: Classic late-’60s/early-’70s Fender effect with a rotating speaker baffle

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 am
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

"Happy as a pig in mud"

8)

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have traded my GT-100 with a Traynor YGL1 15w tube.

Came to a realization that solid state amps are not for me. When I used the GT with my acoustic band it was great, but I now play with a full band and the brightness of the GT when cranking the volume up to band level just splits my ear. Tried Bright Cut in Global EQ, turned treble down on both the amp and the EQ, still the same.

I'm back to tubes and pedals, no solid state for me for a while.

Its not limited to the GT though. I tried the Boss Katana 100w as well ( rented it for a week ) and the brightness is ear-splitting too.

This is just me though. I'm not saying the GT 100 will not work on a full band setting, it just doesn't cut it for me. I have read of a lot of guys who use it on both practice and live gig with full bands and they're happy.

Between the GT 100 and the Katana, I'd take the GT any day though due to ease of use and wifi and bluetooth connectivity, as well as the Fender amp models. :-)

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:35 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

BluesmanAsWell wrote:
I have traded my GT-100 with a Traynor YGL1 15w tube.

Came to a realization that solid state amps are not for me. When I used the GT with my acoustic band it was great, but I now play with a full band and the brightness of the GT when cranking the volume up to band level just splits my ear. Tried Bright Cut in Global EQ, turned treble down on both the amp and the EQ, still the same.

I have always liked the brightness of the GT . What's really funny is all those comments on the early youtube reviews where people were saying it sounded like it had a blanket over it. I could never understand that.

When I play my Epiphone Sheraton ES335 style guitar through it, it is not as bright. But when I plug in the Telecaster copy I made with Gotoh pickups on it, the treble will pierce your ears. However, turning the guitar tone back to halfway or thereabouts, puts in back in the same ballpark as the Sheraton. I think guitar tone controls always control the brightness better than the amp tone controls.

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 pm
Amateur
Amateur

There are also EQ effects that can be applied after the amp, to tailor the sound to your instrument, as well as the bands sound and your taste.